on 3 July 2013
The short chapters in this book kept me constantly saying to myself that I would read "just one more chapter". However, at the end of each one, I was too interested in what happened next that just another chapter kept going on. So glad there is a follow up as I am keen to see what happens now.
on 29 October 2013
Reminds me of the sort of book I really enjoyed as a youngster...I read it all in one evening as i couldn't put it down. Good read for people with lovely imaginations...
on 15 August 2013
The author sets the scene for this beautifully told story and mixes the supernatural with the ordinary in quite a clever way.
Chrissie is the girl who lives out her life between two worlds which merge in an interesting and unusual way. I thoroughly enjoyed it and puzzled as to how it could reach a plausible end - this it does in quite a clever and completely plausible way.
Thoroughly recommend especially to anyone interesting in a mystery with a twist.
on 4 June 2013
I really enjoyed this story, even though, being a fantasy, it is not the sort of book I would normally choose. It is beautifully written, and the pace is excellent and kept me fully engaged. It also touches on environmental issues which are of concern to me. I was disappointed when I reached the end, which was very sudden, but I have now bought the next instalment - A Door in Time - which I look forward to reading.The Room Between the Floorboards (Tales of Andulan Ruskin)
on 26 February 2014
I found this a very interesting read, very well written. Can't wait to read the next book, which I have already purchased.
on 21 March 2013
Well worth reading, this unusual tale tells the story of Cliffe, a university student studying theoretical physics, who makes a surprising discovery. Through a crack in the ceiling he sees into another room, in another place. He sees a young girl, Andulan, who appears to live in the 1950s. Eventually these two find ways to communicate with each other and consider ways they might meet.

Cliffe and Andulan quickly become thoroughly believable characters. Cliffe's attempts to understand scientifically what has happened and is happening, add much credulity to the situation. His initial scepticism and rationalisation are reflected in our own. Andulan is a delightfully described child. Her imaginative ideas on how to meet Cliffe, are informed by her vividly realised rural background in North Yorkshire.

Like Cliffe and Andulan, the reader is led into speculations about the nature and relativity of time and place. We may think we understand more clearly than Cliffe what may be the consequences of his actions - but do we really? A surprising end, which, like reality itself, left me asking questions.
on 4 April 2013
This short book is a real page turner. I was unable to put it down. The descriptions of Andulan's life were evocative of another age and really contrasted with Cliffe's modern day world.

The storyline authentically took the reader through a number of different twists and turns, challenging the reader to predict what might happen.

It works at so many levels.

I stongly recommend you read this book.
on 3 July 2013
I really enjoyed reading The Room Between the Floorboards. I found myself longing to know how Toni would unravel the time travel scenes. She managed it in a totally believable way.
I'm sure this unique story will be enjoyed by people of any age, and I can picture it making an excellent television series.
A Door in Time (Tales of Andulan Ruskin)
on 30 March 2013
This is an enchanting little book, suitable for anyone who still ponders the as yet undefined boundaries of our universe. Easy to read, but for all that is carefully grounded in science, both in the closely observed natural history and in the background physics in which the premise of the story linking two time periods is founded. Most enjoyable.
on 23 March 2013
this book is very gripping. I started reading it in the morning and finished it early afternoon, just couldn't put it down, I felt a bit sad when it was finished, because it's not very often that I find a book I can't put down. This is a wonderful book.