5.0 out of 5 stars The new Billie Holiday, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: WomanChild (Audio CD)
I have been a life long fan of Billie Holiday and thought nothing would ever touch her, until now. This young lady is good and as her voice ages is going to become better and better. Cannot stop listening to this album

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz C D, 1 April 2014
This review is from: WomanChild (Audio CD)
Mesmerising voice, despite being so young, this artist throws you back in time to the smoky clubs of America's Jazz age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its that good, 27 Feb 2014
S. Escreet (Sth Yorks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WomanChild (Audio CD)
I bought this album by chance after looking for something new to listen to, and how lucky I was to randomly choose this cd.
Never heard of her before but I thought well, its only the cost of an album. From the 1st track 'St Louis Gal' to the last 'Deep Dark Blue' it caught my ear and I just had to sit up and take notice. It truely is that good. A voice, a sound that Ive never heard before and I cant stop playing it. If I can compare its standing to another album : I think Woman Child is as big and as equally as important as when Amy Whinehouse burst upon my senses with Back to Black all those years ago.
If you dont like my review, never mind, just take a chance - be daring and buy this cd. You wont be disappointed !

5.0 out of 5 stars CD, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: WomanChild (Audio CD)
I first saw Cecile on Jools holland and wanted it. She is a beautiful singer and the quality of her CD is brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - what a find she is., 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: WomanChild (Audio CD)
This is a beautiful jazz album. Well played and crafted numbers throughout. Her voice is amazing, great range from a deep chest voice to a jazz soprano head voice especially well demonstrated on the title track. Everyone that I've played this for has been impressed. It's easy listening jazz in some regards but complex enough to reward careful, serious listening too. I look forward to future developments of this great musician and her combo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Voice, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: WomanChild (MP3 Download)
I think I heard Cecile singing on one of the Radio 2 evening shows and found her voice to be very interesting, so decided to invest in the album to explore some more. A great collection of songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album I've listened to in years, 28 Nov 2013
The sound quality made me tingle, ok I'm listening to it on 3 sets of speakers, 2 sets of Bose and 1 pair of BW, but I listen to everything through those.
The selection of material and the performance are faultless, the arrangements compliment and enhance the clarity, emotion, beauty, depth, power and SOUL in Cecile McLorin Salvant's voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars multi faceted star Cecile, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: WomanChild (Audio CD)
this is a beautifully crafted first album, all supporting musicians of the highest ability, more please as soon as possible

4.0 out of 5 stars Great new voice, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: WomanChild (Audio CD)
For someone of my ignorance, these mostly old songs were new to me. Even if I'd known the songs, I know I'd have found these versions fresh. It's that voice, crisp, precisely phrased. Cleo Laine's range and jazz quality meets Frank Sinatra's phrasing, possibly? Not at all bad, in other words

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb new Talent, 15 Nov 2013
Mr. B. Cannon "Bluesfan" (West Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WomanChild (Audio CD)
Great vocals, interpretations of old music and new material to showcase a unique talent. Do not fail to listen to and purchase this CD. Such a unique talent and thanks to Jools Holland and and Radio 2, Jamie Cullum for showcasing this exciting new talent.
Highly recommended

WomanChild
WomanChild by Cécile McLorin Salvant (Audio CD - 2013)