4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, website a little bit of a let down
This is my first Withings scale; I waited for this one to come out over the WS-30 as the additional monitoring of heart rate, body fat in particular were important.

Published 23 months ago by D. Evans

3.0 out of 5 stars Good once set up
I almost feel bad reviewing this product at 3 stars, because largely it works well and does what I need it to do. That said there are areas that could be vastly improved, and parts that don't seem to work for me well at all.

Positive Points
************
Published 16 months ago by Duncan Stevenson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good once set up, 15 Oct. 2013
Duncan Stevenson (Falkirk, Scotland) - See all my reviews

Positive Points
************
I got these scales to use with MyFitnessPal and RunKeeper. Connecting to these services was reasonably straightforward and multiple users can link their Withings profile to different apps (or different users in the same apps). As this is all done server-side through the Withings account, the iOS app used to set the scales up is not required during normal use.

The scales look fantastic, and feel very well made. We use them in our en-suite on a tiled floor, but they also come with special feet to allow them to be use on a carpet too. The packing is simple and 'frustration-free' - very well designed.

The WiFi range of the scales seems good - our router in on the ground floor of a three story townhouse, and our en suite is in the opposite corner of the top floor. Some devices struggle a little with that range, but these scales seem to work well.

The scales accurately differentiated between myself and my partner. This isn't too surprising given the substantial weight difference between us, but when his brother used the scales (unknown to us at the time) it didn't accidentally apply this weigh-in to by partner, but kept it as an 'unrecognised weigh in'. The weight difference between them isn't huge so I was quite impressed.

I haven't experienced other reviewers issue of poor battery life that requires weekly changes; I wonder if they might have defective units that should be returned for replacement.

Negative Points
*************
Setup was a bit of a nightmare. My partner and I are very techy people and had some difficulty setting this up. When you first connect to the scales with your iPhone via Bluetooth, it helpfully prompts you to download the companion app, but from there we had some difficulty. The scales seemed to crash or something during setup and getting them to start the process from the start with a bit of trial and error. Someone that wasn't so technically minded would really struggle and would probably have given up. It wasn't a huge problem for us, but a product like this should be easy to use for everyone and it simply isn't super intuitive.

The Withings account is a single account that applied to the scales. This Withings account then has multiple profiles that represent different users in the household, which are configured using a single iPhone. This isn't too intuitive, especially if you plan to use their app rather than something like MyFitnessPal.

The heart-rate monitor, more often that not, fails to read my heart rate. I was beginning to worry that someone might have stolen my heart, but all other signs point to it still operating normally so I have to conclude that the Smart Body Analyser is having some difficulty. My partner has more success but it still misses more often that I'd like.

Conclusions
**********
The issues that I've pointed out don't affect me much, and the scales do everything that I wanted them to. I was just sick of having to enter my weight into MyFitnessPal and Runkeeper all the time, and it seemed to make sense to get something that did it for me. For this, it works wonderfully. However the product should recover more gracefully from setup being interrupted and I do expect all features to work well, even if I don't need them myself.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who isn't comfortable troubleshooting their scales during setup, or someone who relies heavily on the heart-rate feature. For everyone else these look great, are well built and perform well, integrating nicely with a variety of online services.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, website a little bit of a let down, 13 April 2013
D. Evans (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Withings Smart Body Analyzer - Black (Kitchen & Home)

Setup was quite easy; the first few attempts failed with a DHCP error. I found under the baby monitor section some advice to reboot my router and give it another go. Thankfully this did the trick and my wifi settings were copied across via bluetooth from my iPhone.
I then stepped on the scales, it took only a weight reading and not my body fat nor heart rate. It seems this only happens once you have paired the weight to the user profile through the app. Again, I am guessing as I haven't found this on the website anywhere, it's just happened for both my husband and myself.

There's roughly 6-8 pounds difference between my husband and myself and it's had no issues identifying us so far. It's nice that unlike the old boots scales they are replacing, you don't have to step on to initialise the scale then step off and back on again. Just step on, and away you go.
Also linking the Withings accounts through to our MyfitnessPal has worked fine, i.e. my data is synced to my account, and my husbands to his. This is done from the website, not the healthmate app (more on that below).

In terms of the CO2 monitoring, the scales do this regularly, but I presume for battery longevity, this isn't updated on the website until you stand on it for your weight. Again, this is from my current experience rather than any explanation on the website. It's no big deal, but in the early stages of a purchase, you are keen to ensure everything works as expected!

The scales look good in any modern bathroom, very minimalist design. I would have liked to see a cleaning cloth included, such as the ones Samsung provide to keep the black bezel on their TVs clean.

Moving onto the website, annoyingly accessing it from my iPhone, it just wants me to open the healthmate app. Do it from my iPad and I can get the desktop website, so it's not a question of it being a flash website. This, coupled with the small amount of info about the scales (I haven't yet tracked down a user guide) drops it a star for me.

Is it value for money?
Well, let's be honest, if you're after a set of scales, definitely not. Any basic scales will do the job just as well.
I on the other hand, am quite a data junkie about myself (I have a fitbit for example), and I'm hoping to use the heart rate and body fat readings to monitor a downward trend as I train for the Thames Path Challenge in September. My husband has started running, and recently completed his first 10k, and likewise is interested in health monitoring.

I hope this helps!

1.0 out of 5 stars Tried twice and both failed., 9 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Withings Smart Body Analyzer - Black (Kitchen & Home)
Just returned the second set of these scales to Amazon.
On the first set delivered, I ran the setup as instructed, my connection to the scales was via iPhone & BlueTooth as I have no WiFi.
Everything was going OK for a couple of days, but then the BlueTooth connection kept failing, so data wasn't being transferred to my iPhone, which is the whole point of these scales.
I then had to setup the connection manually again, everything was ok for a couple of days, then the connection was lost again. Tried again, lasted a day, then failed. Same next day.
A new Willings App was also downloaded to coincide with IOS 7.0, didn't make the slightest bit of difference.
On each occaision my iPhone was in the same room as the scales.
The scales were returned, Amazon acted very swiftly and efficiently, and a replacement was delivered 2 days later.
The second set of scales kept losing the BlueTooth connection immediately after 30 minutes of trying, so they've gone straight back into the box and I'm now getting a refund.
I have at least 4 other items in my house that I link my BlueTooth to, with no problems whatsoever.

Amazons support has been amazing as usual, Willings support has been non existent

It's a shame because if they worked all the time, they'd be great, but mine didn't.......at all....ever.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken and they won't reply to my support request, 14 May 2014
This review is from: Withings Smart Body Analyzer - Black (Kitchen & Home)
I was initially pretty happy with this product. However, it malfunctioned and, after a while, I got in touch with them about returning it. It's now 11 days and, even after several nudges on Facebook, they have still not replied to my support ticket. Other people are saying the same thing - one guy is saying he has a 29 day support ticket waiting for some attention!

Customer service here is a joke. I will never buy from them again. I recommend looking at an alternative company instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor customer service and defective product, 11 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Withings Smart Body Analyzer - Black (Kitchen & Home)
This product worked for a short period and then broke, with no ability to sync to the app/Withings website, or install the new firmware. Despite being new it's already reported battery life as low and often doesn't report weight at all, but just goes blank.

Despite contacting Withings over a month ago it took nearly three weeks for a response to be received (I had to chase three times via their facebook page and website), and subsequent responses have been simply a rehearsal of the FAQs, with no offer to replace the defective item.

A poor experience with these scales and some of the worst customer service I've had recently.

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible user experience and clunky app., 1 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Withings Smart Body Analyzer - Black (Kitchen & Home)
Terrible instructions that don't work on install of the app. Doesn't pair properly with the device. Doesn't upload weights to app at all. Weight only measurement. Fat and heart rate keep displaying a little X. Doesn't really work at all. I have an open ticket with their support team. But without a prompt response this will be being returned as defective. The app is completely non intuitive and I wish I'd seen app reviews before buying the device as I'm not the only one who thinks so.

edit: Finally after multiple resets and reloads of the app and multiple pairing attempts I finally got it to all sync nicely, then 24 hours later it just stopped. Back around the cycle of figuring out why and resetting/reloading, and it started working for just over another day.

Setup and pairing is horrible, nightmareish, unreliable.

edit: Gave it 6 weeks of retrying, resetting, re-pairing, and re-positioning the scales nearer my wifi. It would work for a short while then fail to connect...So Re-turned.

1.0 out of 5 stars £120 - Only lasted a couple of months. Now out of warranty as customer service never responded., 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Withings Smart Body Analyzer - Black (Kitchen & Home)
Purchased this item in August 2013 and initially, was impressed. Worked flawlessly and synced with my iPhone 4 for about two months. Then it would only sync every five days or so. Ran through the setup procedure again and was back to it syncing every day. A week later, it stopped syncing daily and was syncing once a week. Ran through the setup procedure again and it was back to syncing every day.

Upgraded to an iPhone 5S in mid-2014 and the scale now no longer syncs. In fact, since upgrading my phone and running through the setup procedure again to sync the scale to the new device, the scale no longer works at all. If I stand on the scale, just the "Hello" welcome message pops up and stays there for four or five hours, even though I've stepped off the scale. Removed the batteries for a few hours as advised, but still the same. Can't sync it with my phone. Can't connect it to my wi-fi network. Can't force a firmware download as I was recommended to. Oh, and it doesn't do the basic function of actually displaying the weight of the person stood on it. It just says "Hello..."

Tried to contact Withings customer service on no less than five occasions and have so far had absolute zero responses. They appear to be more than happy to just delete incoming enquiries.

If the scale had worked as it did for the first two months, it would have been a five-star deal. However, for £120 you'd expect it to last a little longer than two months before going on the fritz, and you'd also expect the customer service to be better than "send us an email and one day we might get to it, but probably not."

Avoid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 July 2013
This review is from: Withings Smart Body Analyzer - Black (Kitchen & Home)
I purchased this product and it arrived, as usual with Amazon, very quickly and well packed. It looks good, very clean and modern and comes with batteries. The instructions are a disgrace on a product at this price level, sketchy and incomplete. Connecting to my Android phone via Bluetooth so I could do the wifi setup was slow, frustrating and failed numerous times before it did connect and I was able to complete the setup. It appeared to connect to the wifi network OK. I then weighed myself a number of times in a row, giving it a minute or so between weighings, and got different results every time. Weight fluctuated by up to 4 lbs and the reading was below my old electronic scales which I know to be accurate. BMI went from Class 1 Obese (which is fair enough and roughly where I am currently) to Class 3 Super obese, which I definitely am nowhere near. Heartrate showed more than twice the value shown on a pulse meter. Only the first weighing updated the manufacturer's website, subsequent ones had no effect. I left it to settle overnight but found the same problems the following morning and the air monitoring function didn't appear to work or update over wifi. As they were fulfilled by Amazon but supplied by a third party, they could not be exchanged but had to be returned and reordered. I took the opportunity to look at other options and ended up with a non wifi Body analyser less than half the price which appears to work correctly and is accurate, certainly in terms of weight measure.

It may be I was just unlucky and got a faulty unit or, less likely, it was damaged through rough handling in transit, but thanks to Amazon for making the returns process so simple and rapid shipping of my new analyser.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 16 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Withings Smart Body Analyzer - Black (Kitchen & Home)
I've used a variety of different body composition monitors. I love graphs, charts, and tables - especially when I am the subject of them - but it's tedious having to enter data into your own spreadsheet. So the way this scale syncs with the Withings smartphone app to automatically generate graphs and tables is very exciting! :)

For me, trying to gain weight but without increasing body fat percentage, a scale like this is a very useful accessory to my training programme.

The heart rate monitor is a nice addition. I thought the temperature and CO2 readings were a bit silly when I looked at the specifications online, but since I've had the scale, I've been interested to look at those measures every day - one of those things you don't realise you want until you have it!

Strongly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sleek Scales great App, 5 May 2013
Chris Hoare "Chris" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Withings Smart Body Analyzer - Black (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A couple of years ago I had a to-do with my doctor about blood pressure. They took it in the surgery and pronounced it super high on the spot. I felt there was nothing wrong with me and invested in Withings Smart Blood Pressure Monitor) the next time I went I was armed with a blood pressure reading for 6 months and it was clear there was nothing wrong. So started my obsession with tracking personal data over time; I have a Jawbone Large UP on my wrist tracking movement; bought the earlier version of these scales a while back. Withings and UP actually work together so my Smart Scale information is visible in the UP app too.

The new scales retain the same sharp look for your bathroom; with a polished glass surface; a bright easy to read LCD. If you have an iPhone they are super easy to setup with your phone; I downloaded the Withings app from iTunes; flip the scales over and press a button to tell the scales to connect to the phone. The app see's the scales and they connect; connecting them to wifi is all done for you - the app does all the hard work. Once its setup each member of the family can use the scales and using some weight / bmi voodoo it knows who everyone is and seems to always get it right.

Step on the scales and the large screen lights up and arrows tell you how to centre your body weight. Each measurement you take is then beamed to the website / your phone; and to the secure Withings website (you can give your doctor access.) After it gets your weight it measures BMI, body fat percentage and heart rate and reports the whole lot to your phone. If you are trying to lose weight the application is really good at supporting this; you can set weight loss goals over time and see how it is going.

One new feature on the latest smart body analyser is a CO2 sensor that warns you if you have too much in your home. Living in a city centre my CO2 varies during the day form about 300-700ppm. I had a house-full of guests one night and it went through the roof to 1700 so it looks like it works.

As scales alone the Withings Smart Body Analyser are expensive; there is a cheaper model that loses the body fat and heart rate monitoring (as well as the CO2 measurement.) The Withings scales are only a small piece of the whole; the easy to use App and data heavy website allow you to store data over time and present it in a way your Doctor gets a better picture than they would get from a snapshot.

Withings Smart Body Analyzer - Black