4.0 out of 5 stars Gluten Free Recipes
Published on 21 Mar 2009 by Linda Mingay

1.0 out of 5 stars Great if you are in the USA
I wanted to find out more about gluten free cooking and this looked just the job. However, it is very much an American cook book.
All recipes are in cups. Not insurmountable as we can buy these measuring cups in UK but I don't have any.
Published on 26 Mar 2010 by Donna Forbes

4.0 out of 5 stars Gluten Free Recipes, 21 Mar 2009
This book has loads of gluten free recipes. The ones I have tried are very good. My daughter has used it as well and she rates it highly. It would be a very good book for someone who already has a library of gluten free references. In my case, I do not have such references and had to buy more books. If you already know about gluten intolerance and coeliac disease - then this is a super cookbook. I assumed with such a big book it would have more science.

4.0 out of 5 stars One to keep!, 8 Mar 2012
As a recent newcomer to the gluten free lifestyle I was depressed by the compromises made regarding the standard of food (bread being at the top of the list)that we are supposed to eat. Most recipies produced dry, heavy bricks. Not so from this book. Its cumbersome on the kitchen worktop but is very useful. It is American, so cups are a must and its essential to measure carefully and not just bung it in. I get round this by measuring in the cups and then tipping the contents onto scales and write the weight by the recipie - much less mess and no hassle for the next time. Over the past year I have made many recipies; cakes, cookies, pastry, numerous breads and main courses and all have been either good or more than acceptable. The only thing I didn't like was the texture of one of the chocolate cookies (too soft). With regard to American ingredients, the one thing I haven't been able to obtain is Expandex which is only in a few recipies, the rest are easy enough to find on the internet. One caveat, if you run out of Carol's basic mix the breads don't come out so well with shop bought mixes - either too wet or too dry. Also I put every loaf in the breadmaker on the gluten free program even if it says cook in a conventional oven - so far so good! The cakes etc come out well with shop mixes, though be sure to add xanthan or guar gum if it's not included. One quirky thing is that a lot of the meat recipies are served with fruit salsa/relishes etc. It's well written with a pleasant tone, most recipies are simple and once you get used to gluten free cooking, surprisingly easy. As it's a '1,000' book I expected a lot of filler recipies but this is not the case. I can recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars almost good, 28 Jan 2010
Signe Meirane "crazy cook" (Riga, Latvia) - See all my reviews
Almost good because of one important thing - there are some ingredients that are used in most of the baked goods instead of flour that and as I dont live in USA and the offer here is very limited and now it turns out that I can not make almost half of the things in book that call for sorghum mix.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great if you are in the USA, 26 Mar 2010
Donna Forbes (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
Then I found that a lot of the ingredients are not those found on UK shelves. No UK substitute is given and without a description of the type of, say, 'bisuit' we are supposed to buy a packet of, this puts some recipes out of reach.
The recipes aim at providing a gluten free alternative to many traditional dishes. But these, of course, are American traditional dishes.
So, if you are a fan of the American kitchen, this will be a great book. For me, it was a bit too much effort.