TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 June 2016
This is a great Blu-ray boxset - consisting of the complete movie collection of Star Trek films from the original continuity. This film series, from 1979-2002, explores the continuing adventures of the Starship Enterprise - as seen in both the 'Original Series' and the 'Next Generation'. We get to enjoy Admiral (and sometimes Captain) James T. Kirk (played by William Shatner) and Captain Jean-Luc Picard (played by Patrick Stewart) lead their respective crews as they boldly go where no one has gone before ...

This is a 10 film collection, consisting of:

~ Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
~ Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
~ Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)
~ Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
~ Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)
~ Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)
~ Star Trek Generations (1994)
~ Star Trek: First Contact (1996)
~ Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)
~ Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)

At the time of reviewing, this boxset costs less than £35 - that's under £3.50 per Blu-ray film! As such, it's a genuine bargain. There are 2 'bonus' discs, presenting special features. Indeed, the amount of extra content included in this set is amazing - and fans of the saga will have plenty to keep themselves entertained.

This is a region-free Blu-ray set. The HD quality is excellent. The box itself is both sturdy and attractive. Overall, I fully recommend this item.
on 18 September 2013
I read a review of the "Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Cut)" at reelviews dot net ( [...] ) where it says :
"The film's total running length has hardly changed, expanding by four minutes from 2:12 to 2:16. However, alterations to the Director's Edition represent more than just adding a few scenes. Some material was either removed or replaced (all of the deleted scenes and trims are available as part of the DVD's supplementary material). In total, about 10% of the film is different from the theatrical cut, but the changes, while seemingly slight, result in a significantly improved motion picture. Star Trek - The Motion Picture: Director's Edition is no 2001 (its obvious inspiration - a fact that is more evident here than ever before), but it represents thought-provoking, well constructed science fiction. "

So I of course thinks that if offering true fans of the "Star Trek" movies (and series') the movies on such media as Blu-ray (that can really contain a lot of "data") then of course we ought not only be offered the theatrical versions of these movies but we also ought to be offered the choice, at play time, if we want to watch theatrical edition or "Director cut"/"extended edition" - in the same manner as people can with many other movies..
But as far as I can see then the Star Trek: Stardate Collection - The Movies 1-10 (Remastered) [Blu-ray] [1979] [Region Free] (Blu-Ray box set , DVD Release Date: 29 April 2013) , that we have been offered here , does only contain one version of the movies and that at least for the first movie not even the "Director cut" version but only theatrical version (I haven't checked all the other movies against run time and so on).
And while I am eager to get this set of movies on Blu-ray then I will have to think extra hard on this before buying a Blu-ray boxset that I movie version wise would maybe consider inferior....
on 16 October 2013
The first copy of this boxset was faulty where one film froze and had some strange colour effects. Amazon, true to form, arranged for a replacement even before I had a chance to return the faulty set! Superb service. The second copy was better with only a momentary stutter on one of the later films. Also, both copies suffered from the dirty print of Star Trek:The Motion Picture mentioned by others. As Enterprise leaves dock for the first time, there are the several dirty marks still on the film that others had mentioned a couple of years ago. Spoils the moment as the film had been building up to this point for some time. I would have thought (and this is why I purchased this) that in the intervening years the production would have been cleaned up for the later issues. Obviously, the studios think that making money is more important especially as people like me continue to buy it. The size of the box is better - more normal - and not the behemoth that people mentioned with the earlier issues. As it is, I enjoy Star Trek so much that I kept this set even with the said faults. Just be prepared for THE fault i.e. dirty marks to still be there when/if you purchase it. I've noticed with quite a few of the boxsets released in recent years e.g. James Bond and others, that the quality isn't up to the same standard of the individual releases. The discs seem flimsier and exhibit more faults than normal. Is it a another case of the studios putting profit before quality again?
on 4 August 2014
Very happy with the HD quality of the movies – and having never seen the extras before, I’m quite pleased with those too. Like everyone else, I would prefer the extended/directors cuts but I’ll settle for this. My one big complaint is the box. Near impossible to close it again once opened.
on 6 April 2015
There is nothing better than having all of the movies in one box. It looks the part, it has a lovely aesthetic to it as well. The movies are remastered spectacularly. I would say that it's the definitive way to watch all of these classics all in one place. It comes with a nice little leaflet inside, the discs are all stacked on top of each other in individual, thin holders. I think if you are into having the entire collection in one box, you couldn't do much better.

It might be nice to have some of the alternate versions in there, eg Directors Cut etc but that's just wanting more for less money I guess!
on 15 November 2011
Not going to bore you with my opinion on each movie but lay down the important info for these blu rays. Firstly good news is they are region free I bought from England and play on my jap ps3. Picture can be sublime on some movies (motion picture, khan, first contact and Nemesis) and not so great on others (search for Spock, final frontier) tho they are all a marked improvement on the DVDs. Most of the special edition extras are ported over from the DVD special editions and you will find HD exclusives such as an interview with James Horner on Khan and a roundtable discussion on the next generation movies by a collection of relevant fans. There is also a HD exclusive two disk extras blu Ray with the highlight a roundtable discussion with shatner, Nimoy, Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes hosted by Whoopi Goldberg. You'll find HD exclusive commentaries not on the DVDs so overall it's an impressive package (a giant box set blu enterprise cover encasing 11 standerd blu Ray boxes). I have one problem with this box set and that is we are denied the directors cuts of motion picture, Khan and undiscovered country. In my opinion they are all superior to the theatricals (scottys personal loss in khan, scooby doo ending in country, a mercifully shorter and tighter version of motion picture!) This leads to quite a stripping down of extras for the motion picture and to not even give the viewer the option of which version to watch is a slap in the face to the late Robert Wise and Nicholas Meyer director and writer involved with 3 of the better treks khan,voyage home and undiscovered country. Overall a solid package but not perfect!
on 28 November 2010
I bought this set based on the majority of the reviews here that said the picture quality, especially over the original case films was much improved over the DVD versions, and having watched movies 1 - 4 so far I cannot argue with that assessment, they are indeed a lot sharper and much clearer. This will be immediately obvious in the very first scene of the very first movie with the three Klingon ships approaching the VEGER cloud, a massive difference. However there are some oddities in this first film, the first is when Kirk is being given a tour around the refitted Enterprise in the shuttle, as the shuttle pulls out in front of the gantry a part of the cloud on the planet below passes in front of the gantry! It catches your eye the first time making you uncertain what you saw. Next, when he is going under the saucer section and the screen switches to a view up to the underside there are some very large and obvious dirt marks on the camera, at least three that I counted. Finally, when Aylia is walking down into the VEGER pit it is really grainy, so it looks like this scene could not be made better. In the end none these things really matter to me, they are a minor and fleeting annoyance as the set is well worth having purely for the better quality.

The box is nice but way to overpowering in size for my liking so I have made a custom 10-DVD case to hold these films and put the box away in the attic saving space on the shelves and looking better (in my opinion) in the bargain. The cases as individual films though would look really nice together on a shelf if you, like me, do not want to use the box.

None of the films are the special or extended editions, not really a bad thing as the specials and extended versions did not really have a lot more in them, certainly not enough to make owning these a bad thing.

The four movies with forced stream subtitles work perfectly and are all automatically switched on, at least on my Panasonic. This is an important point as on the same machine one of the DVD's did not do this and I had to select it manually when I wanted to watch the film.

On my Onkyo AV Receiver I am getting something called Dolby EX 5.1 Surround (connected via HDMI) which I have never seen before. The sound is crisp and clear, bass is superb and not overpowering, a vast improvement over the original DVD's in every way.
on 29 January 2012
bought this set as a gift for my partner, he was absolutly delighted with this set, could not believe how good the picture was looked like they were made yesterday. would recommend to any star trek fanatic.
on 20 January 2010
This is a must have box set for any star trek fan.
Well worth every penny the bonus disc is great as it has Kirk,Spock,Picard & Ryker being interviewed by Whoopi Goldberg absolutely brilliant listening to them all talking about there individual experiences on making the films & series. ITS A MUST SEE!
on 10 January 2011
The package contains the first 10 Star Trek movies in HD quality. English, Italian, German, French and Spanish are the languages available, plus a plethora of subtitles.

Only english supports 7.1 surround, other languages support 5.1, 2.0 and spanish is Mono on the motion picture.

Audio and Video quality are "stellar" indeed. Actually, the high quality of the video makes some slight mistakes more visible (original video montage, slight out-of-focus material, especially in "the motion picture" ), but nothing dramatic. Every movie is highly enjoyable and the high resolution makes it feel new, even if, as me, you've seen these movies more times than you care to count (or admit).

Director's cuts are not included in the movie itself, but some scenes are in the extra portion of the BD. Would the lack of these scenes justify skipping the acquisition of this box set? No. Make yourself a favour, and buy it.

Are there going to be HD releases of these movies with the excluded scenes? I don't know, actually I don't really care, since I own the extended DVD versions and I did not find the extra scenes to add a different flavour or extra meaning to the stories, so their lack in the BD version is not significant for me. But I can see why someone would refrain oneself from buying this box for this particular reason. That is why I grade this item 4.5 instead of 5/5.

The box itself is a little cumbersome and is definitely the most visible element in my DVD/BD collection, but it is absolutely a beauty to watch, dominating on my highest shelf.

I would suggest this product to all Star Trek fans, including those who already own the DVD releases or prior editions. It really feels as if you are watching a completely new and inedit version!