5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal companion for a smart phone
Published 15 months ago by Martin

Published 7 months ago by K. Crane

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal companion for a smart phone, 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: Pebble (Black) - The e-paper watch for Android and iPhone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I've had the Kickstarter version since February and I love it. You can at last turn the phone ringer off permanently as your calls, emails, texts and other notifications come through on the Pebble and there is no need to disturb anyone else with whichever loud, annoying ringtone that you may have chosen. You can leave your mobile on your desk and wander around the office and still know if you get a text or other message. The phone can be tucked safely away on public transport and if you want to change the music that you're listening to you just press a button on the Pebble. Of course there are also a number of watch faces to choose from so even telling the time is a little more interesting than with anything else.

The charge lasts approximately a week, but I charge mine over night twice a week to be safe.

Of course nothing is perfect. There are very few other apps available for it yet and the amount of information shown for a notification on the watch is limited. The biggest issue of all is probably that it is no respecter of sleep and will continue to notify you of all you emails and app updates throughout the night. Taking it off is a possible solution but it'll still vibrate by the bed all night. Using Tasker (on Android, I've no idea of the options on the iPhone) will enable you to control it a little more, but you'll have to program Tasker to get it to turn off night time alerts and the like. Also, it has no replaceable parts, so when the rechargable battery dies, Pebble dies with it, but hopefully it'll give you a good few years before that happens. And just think of the progress that will have been made in the meantime and what will be available for sale then.

All in all very handy, smart (not really stylish as it is just that bit too plastic for that) and useful. I'm glad I bought one. (Even if it wasn't from here.)

2.0 out of 5 stars A good insight into wearable computing, but not ready for prime time, 4 Dec 2013
I bought a Pebble from the Pebble store. It cost 150 and shipped from Singapore. It took a month to arrive and came with a demand for an extra 24, which was partly customs duty and partly Royal Mail's charge for collecting the duty. So it was 174 in total, which is noticeably more than it would be bought from a retail store in the USA. I've tried to ignore the price from here on in.

The watch is very light and seems well made, though it has a hard to describe feel of a prototype. For example the buttons are very large and the 'enter' button is on the opposite side to the 'back' button. They take a firm push, so you need to press on both sides of the watch to get a button to register. I wear my watch on the left arm, so found my right thumb naturally fell on the 'back' button when I was trying to push 'enter' button with my index finger. Hard to explain, but you'd see what I mean straightaway if you had one on your wrist.

The screen is not quite sharp enough. At arm's length it looks OK, but close enough to read the characters it looks grainy. To save battery (I assume) it is an e-ink screen. This means it is fine in daylight, but hard to read in anything other than good light. The backlight is OK, but again to save battery, switches off quickly. Too quickly.

I use a Galaxy S4 as my everyday phone running Android 4.3. I installed the Pebble app on the phone and fired up the watch. It wasn't at all obvious what to do next. After some faffing the phone said the watch was updating its firmware, but the watch just sat unmoving. After re-booting both watch and phone the firmware update went through OK and I was connected. I guessed a little at what the buttons did, but found I needed to go to the Pebble website to look at the instructions. If I wasn't reasonably technical I would have found it a frustrating experience.

However using the watch with the basic Pebble app wasn't too tricky, but then it doesn't do much. There are three watchfaces (text, regular watch and digital), none of which is inspiring. If you switch on an accessibility setting on your phone you also start to get notifications. Ah, now this is what it is for.

BUT... when I got an email the phone buzzed and said I had an email. No sender info, no text to read, just "You have mail". Well, I knew that, cos the phone had pinged at me.

I then got a call. Excellent, the watch buzzed and showed the name of the caller and a little X next to a button. I assume that is so you can cancel without getting out the phone if you don't want to talk. The X didn't do anything and the watch kept on buzzing. I answered the call and the watch went on buzzing. It stopped when I pushed the back button, but I suspect otherwise it would have gone on buzzing till the battery died.

SMS notification and Whatsapp showed me the sender and the text, which was much better.

That's it... 2 notifications that don't work and a couple that do, three watchfaces on a slightly grainy screen that is sometimes hard to read, on a quite well made piece of minimalist kit with a good rubber strap for 174. Um, not convinced so far.

So, I tried the 3rd party apps.

There are a few, some trying to add functionality, others trying to improve on what should be the out of the box experience. Again, it isn't for the technically challenged. You install apps on your phone, then you often need to install an app on the watch. This isn't simple. I found myself going to the PC, firing up a browser, going to the developer's site (usually mildly amateur sites), finding the watch app code file, download it to my PC disk. Now fire up an Android file explorer on the phone and attach to the network, find the watch app file and open it. This triggers the regular Pebble app to recognise what is happening and download the app to the phone. Phew, there are few members of my family who would work that out (or more to the point, expect to).

You then have to set various other settings on the phone, like allowing notifications, or another accessibility setting. Once I had done that I had a replacement notification app on the phone that could communicate with the watch. The one I tried was devilish in the way it hid how you worked out which apps could send a notification and which couldn't, but I eventually worked it out. I then got two notifications for each event, as the regular Pebble app doesn't know about the 3rd party app (and vice versa) so they both buzzed the phone.

You can probably tell that by this point, several hours in and with some functionality working, but others not, I was a little frustrated.

In my mind it boils down to the Pebble not being ready for prime time. It is a fascinating Kickstarter effort and some things are better than you might expect from a start-up (the professional packaging for example, or the clean lines). However what you are buying is a hobbyist's experience, not a well-developed end-product suited to Jo Public.

Lifting my view a little higher the Pebble did let me experience my first wearable tech and that's useful as it showed that a minimalist approach doesn't work for me. I have to carry the phone as well as the watch and 9 times out of ten I want to do more than just know someone sent me a text - I want to reply, or check the date they suggested etc. If it is a call I want to answer it without getting the phone out. I'm sure this type of device will develop quickly and someone will find the cost/looks/usability/features sweet spot. Then I'll then have the reaction I had when I got my first iPhone: "How did I manage before I got this?". The Pebble is a first step towards that, but it doesn't do enough, well enough, to make it onto the "can't do without" list.

I lied about not mentioning the price. At 174 it is just shy of the cost of the new Nexus 7 - and it isn't even the beginnings of a contest over the best use of the money. Maybe if the Pebble was 79.99 I'd feel different, that feels about the right price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget, 23 May 2014
Ms. Loes Vanderlaan "iamloes" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
I've had my beady eye on this item for over a year now but felt hesitant as the integration with iOS wasn't there yet. Now, with the upgrade to Pebble 2, I went ahead and bought it. I love it.

The screen (finishing & display) looks sleeker than expected when you take it out of the packaging. I'm amazed at the amount of apps & faces available and notifications work a dream. It is another gadget to manage, but I find myself much less attached to my phone than I used to be. No more picking up the phone all the time to see if you've got a message - Pebble will tell you when you do. Oh, and it tells the time can you believe it! Vibrating alarm is also brilliant when you have a partner who doesn't have to get up when you do. I can finally change the tracks I play no my phone in the shower as it is waterproof enough for showering and swimmping... I've not come close to exploring what this baby can do!

I'm a female, and was a little bit worried that the size of the Pebble would be too big - I don't think it is. It's chunky, but the sleek design makes it OK. It is also surprisingly light. I was excited to puy the Pebble and am falling in love more and more as I use it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really ready for iPhone yet, 16 Jun 2014
This is incredibly frustrating to use with an iPhone. I love the idea of the Pebble. And when it works it is great. But it seems that it only works for a couple of days or so, then all of a sudden you will stop getting notifications of emails, texts etc. Reading around the forums this is a very common problem. Everything has to be reset, re-paired and then all is fine for a day or two and then it stops working properly again. Very frustrating. I would suggest that iPhone users hold back before buying and wait until this is all fixed, because it is not quite ready yet. When it is - buy one - they are great when they work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my Pebble, 14 Sep 2013
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Length:: 3:29 Mins

As a fan of the watch, something that seems to be in less and less use these days with people using smart phones to check the time, the idea of one that links to a phone, can change watch faces, control music playback, and last longer than a day was very existing.

I didn't order from Amazon, I order direct. The price was very reasonable, in total it came to 99.42 which included a non-sterling transaction fee, the watch and delivery. Being shipped from outside the UK there was a delay in delivery, I ordered on 28th August 2013, it arrived 9th September 2013.

The Pebble Watch arrives in a simple, but effective, cardboard box. Opening it you find your watch and the charge cable, which has a standard USB plug on one end and a magnetic set of contact points at the other end. There are no packaged instructions, you need to download the Pebble App to get started.

Once turned on the setup process was very easy, just fire up the app, discover the Pebble and pair them. Within minutes I was up and running, testing out the notification features and learning how to change the watch faces.

Putting on the Pebble I was immediately struck by how light it is, although this will mostly be due to my regular watch being a nice heavy Citizen watch.

Although light the watch itself is large, so large it's a little awkward to wear with a shirt. This made it fairly noticeable, gaining me many positive comments around the office. This is a cool watch, and the watch face looks so different to anything else people can't help but want to know more.

It takes a little getting use to the vibration notification, but after it's happened a few times you realise just how brilliant it is, it's far more effective than having the phone vibrating in your pocket/bag.

Notifications were a little hit and miss (Facebook was fine, Go SMS Pro didn't seem to work), but a quick check on the website and a download of Pebble Notifier, soon sorted this out.

Music controls work well, if using tracks on your handset then the track information will be displayed on your Pebble, and you can use it to skip forward or back a track. The Pebble doesn't current display track information when using Deezer, but did allow me to skip tracks, very handy when out and about.

I was called a couple of times and it was very handy to see who was calling without taking the phone out of my pocket, helped me quickly and easily dodge a couple of sales calls.

Battery life has been excellent so far, I've avoided watch faces with loads of animations to conserve power. I've also found my phone battery lasting longer. Why? Because I'm not activating the screen all the time to check for notifications.

There are loads of smart watches coming out, Sony have been doing them for years, but there is something brilliant and special about the Pebble. It doesn't try to be a phone on your arm, it is a brilliantly design extension to your phone. It gives you the notifications you need without a battery draining touch screen. It can be easily customised and is fantastic value for money given the features.

**UPDATE**
In my original review I stated Deezer track information didn't show on the Pebble, this appears to have been updated recently and track info from Deezer is now displayed on the Pebble.

**UPDATE 2**
Pebble has now revamped the mobile software. This has added a Pebble app store making it really easy to find new watch faces and apps. It's also really good at keeping your Pebble organised, allowing you to easily load and unload different apps/faces.

4.0 out of 5 stars TOO EXPENSIVE, 31 Oct 2013
Its a great product but it is almost double the price than if you brought it off the pebble webiste around 95, delivery may take longer but it is free

2.0 out of 5 stars Good concept, but notifications are really unreliable - avoid for the moment., 17 Feb 2014
The concept is great - turn off the sound on your iPhone and get notifications on the watch. Unfortunately the reality is a little different. It works sometimes, but it spends a great deal of time not working. When you move out of range of the phone for a few minutes, the watch mostly does not reconnect, you can force it back with an off/on of the watch and stop/start of bluetooth on the phone, but this becomes boring really quickly. Even when staying within bluetooth range, it will randomly disconnect. It is slightly weird in that it has two bluetooth connections to the phone. In my case one stays connected, but the ANCS connection (the one with the LE at the end) disconnects all the time.

The new app store is OK, lots of apps and watch faces in there. It is also used for watch setup. For some reason I continually get messages from this app that notifications are not set up. Tapping this to redo the notification setup (just to get rid of the message) always fails. This message appears randomly whether notifications are actually working or not at the time.

I like the vibrating alarm, shake wrist to activate backlight, it's light and looks pretty good, however after a few weeks of owning/using it, I'm definitely suffering buyers remorse. My advice would be simple, if you want this for reliable notifications then move on - this is not for you. If you just want a fancy watch with apps, then give it a shot. This really reminds me of the consumer technology of ten years ago - lots of promise, but failing badly in execution.

This problem isn't limited to just me, the Pebble/Internet forums are literally full of people with the same issues. Hopefully Pebble are aware of this and have some cunning plan in place to resolve the problems, or if the problem is on Apples side to start offering people their money back. At the end of the day if Pebble sell the watch, it should work regardless of whether the problem is with iOS/iPhone or the watch itself.

I'm told that a factory reset/restore of both the iPhone and watch along with a bluetooth purge on the phone can sometimes fix the comms problems, so I'll give this a try later today. For a consumer product though, this doesn't bode well !

FYI, I'm running an iPhone 5S patched up to the latest iOS release.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 15 Jun 2014
The pebble what a great watch really handy when you don't want the keep getting your phone out . Great as a remote to flick through your tunes . And you miss less calls .

4.0 out of 5 stars great, but could be better, 15 May 2014
I have had mine about 4 weeks now and I love it.

After trawling the internet reviews for the best smart watch as of May 2014, this in general was the one most liked by the pundits. I bought mine brand new off an internet auction site for 87.

Looks? Not bad, but I think Pebble Steel looks better. Strap is functional and I changed this right away. 22mm by the way.

Battery? Superb. But as with every thing, it depends on usage. Mine on average lasts 4 days. Note, that more the screen updates the more battery you use. Turn off the second hand and emai notifcations every 30 minutes or so and yours will last for ages.

Physical function and design? We the 4 buttons work well, but to operate you do need your thumb and forefinger. Thumb holds in place while forefinger presses. And you have to button press through menus. No screen swiping here, But that fine.

Display? Nice and crisp. Epaper is really nice on the eye and in dark there is the back lighting to make the screen shine.

Software? Well this is really what its about, The pebble app has a huge amount of apps, utilities and watch faces you can download in literally seconds, even less maybe. Further there are dedicated web sites that can add even more to your watch.

One site is absolutely surperb, in that it lets you design your own watch faces and download them again in seconds if you want. But even better, you can add any screen background you want. I designed 6 watch faces each with a picture of one of my grandkids, put a really nice watch on it and installed it on my watch.

www.watchface-generator.de and they are free... The designer just asks for a donation.

Memory? Well this is where the watch coudl really improve. There are only 8 slots to install your extra watch face or app. This really doesn't compete with Gear 2.

Usability? After a while you get used to looking at your watch when a call come in, or a text or email (I turned off email, too many and it got on me nerves). You can answer texts via apps like Glance with preset text responses. You can decline phone calls via watch and send a text response .

Overall a great smart watch that looks different and not a nerdy as the Gear or Sony. The Pebble steel really looks the biz, but is way over priced.

This is a bargain watch to start using a wearable. I love mine and enjoy changing it up every couple of weeks. But it does have limits

4.0 out of 5 stars Great smart watch with Jailbroken iOS, 5 July 2014
Exactly how I thought it would be, works much better with jailbroken iOS than stock iOS (ability to force background mode and open on boot for pebble app, and more advanced watchfaces). 4 stars purely because it's slightly more expensive here than other websites.