Published 22 months ago by Stuart Sillitoe

3.0 out of 5 stars I REGISTI MI METTONO PAURA
Published on 30 April 2013 by Oppicelli/Genua

5.0 out of 5 stars A very fine production and one I have no real qualms in recommending!, 29 July 2013
I must say that my experience of this, most famous of Tchaikovsky's operas, has been somewhat of a disappointment, my first DVD is from the Bolshoi production of 2000, and while it is traditionally staged and fairly well sung, the sound quality is a real let down, muffled in places apart from the coughs, sneezes and audible sirens from outside the theatre. My second was the recent production from Amsterdam, good performance and recorded sound, it was the production that let this one down, I just couldn't get past the cosmonauts! This new DVD, I am glad to say, treads the middle ground between traditional and modern productions, quite minimal at times but nothing to offend, it is well sung and recorded too!
This is a relatively young cast which performs beyond their reputations, with Kristine Opolais being the star of the show. Opolais not only proves that she has a beautiful singing voice, but that she is a consummate actor as well, Tatyana is a difficult role to pull off, but she proves she has the measure of it. My only disappointment was with Artur Rucinski in the title role, at times I found his tone a little harsh while on occasion his acting was a bit wooden, but there were time when he proves that he can both sing and act! The rest of the cast was well balanced with all being in good voice, as was the chorus and orchestra.
I enjoyed this production greatly, there is a lot here which is attractive, and I am glad to say that the director, Mariusz Trelinski does not take any liberties. It is well staged and well televised, with the young conductor controlling his forces well. I would say that the DVD presentation was lacking a little, there are no extras, so no `cast gallery', `illustrated synopses or interview with the director where he explains his vision for the opera. The enclosed booklet leaves a lot to desire as well, with a fourteen line written synopsis being insufficient, even when you know the work, but then you are buying the DVD primarily for the opera and not the extras and booklet!
So, apart from my slight gripes about Rucinski, this is a very fine production and one I have no real qualms in recommending!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic music and great singers, 7 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Tchaikovsky: Eugene Onegin [Valencia 2011] [Kristine Opolais, Lena Belkina, Artur Rucinski] [C Major: 712408] [DVD] [2013] [NTSC] (DVD)
Eugene Onegin is one of the most beautiful operas ever written. A marvelous story about love and human nature, Tchaikovsky's music enhances the drama and creates a succession of magic moments.
This staging of the opera does justice to it. Great singing and acting, specially the pair Tatiana-Onegin. Opolais and Rucinski are great young singers, they have marvelous voices and are able to act very damatically.
I hope to see more of them.
This video is higly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars I REGISTI MI METTONO PAURA, 30 April 2013
VIEN DA CHIEDERSI PERCHE' MAI ABBIANO INVENTATO I REGISTI E COSI' TANTI (TROPPI? TROPPI!) CON PROBLEMI PSICHICI. QUI E' SUFFICIENTE GUARDARE LA 'POLONAISE' AL TERZO ATTO O SEGUIRE QUEL MIMO CHE NON FA CHE DISTOGLIERE DALLA MUSICA. MUSICA, TUTTAVIA, SUPERBAMENTE MESSA IN RILIEVO DALL'ECCELLENTE GIOVANE MAESTRO OMER MEIR WELBER E CANTATA DA UN CAST COI FIOCCHI (ORA ANCHE NELLA LIRICA I CANTANTI HANNO BISOGNO DEI MICROFONINI PIAZZATI SUI VOLTI? INSOPPORTABILE SE VE N'ACCORGETE). CONSIGLIO CHE VORREI FOSSE UN ORDINE: METTETEVI SU QUESTO DVD CON QUEST'OPERA COSI' BELLA E CHIUDETE GLI OCCHI, ALLORA IL RIMEDIO PUO' RECARE BUONI FRUTTI. MUSIC TO WATCH? ASSOLUTAMENTE NO, DECISAMENTE NO. Ernesto - Genova Certosa - Italia