5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published 18 months ago by A. D. Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Documentation to try (or develop) the patience of a saint
I reflect the other previous reviews: The printer seems OK - does colour & BW nicely, and I've made it do double-sided (which is slow)
Decided to try colour laser printer to save ink costs

Published 6 months ago by NewPud

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Nov. 2013
A. D. Wilson "Alan Wilson" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother HL3150CDW A4 Colour Laser Wireless Printer (Accessory)
With this colour laser printer costing £150, there is little point in buying an ink-jet unless you will print very little or need a small, light printer. If you are replacing an ink-jet, be aware that this is heavy and larger (450x400 x 230 high); but for the cost & quality and especially cost of printing, it now makes sense to use a colour laser printer (my first colour laser was twice the size in all 3 directions, 4 times as heavy and cost over £5000; the print quality was not as good).

The installation instructions are a pain: they've been designed by a committee using flow charts instead of common sense and the Brother management should be forced to eat the paper they are printed on. Ignore them completely: run the installation CD, then connect the printer with a USB cable (NOT supplied) and run through the Add Printer on the computer. If you want it wireless, install it on one computer with a USB cable, then on another computer use Add Printer and it shows on the network. Easy. That was using Mac; probably more complicated with Windows.

Don't forget to remove all the packing sticky tapes, plus the plastic thingies on each of the 4 toner cartridges.

Configuration: there isn't any. Once installed, it just works.

The print quality is great: blue is a bit dark, but I'm sure that can be adjusted.

Toners: black is TN-241BK & prints 2500 pages. Colours: TN-241 standard (1400 pages), TN-245 high-capacity (2200 pages); add C M or Y after the number for the colour. I've had problems with compatibles on another laser and will use only originals for safety.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good quality laser colour printer!, 28 Feb. 2014
Harveian (Eltham, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have to confess that I researched this printer on Amazon, but bought it from PC World for a much better price and, as with Amazon, got it delivered next day. That said, I thought I owed Amazon a review of the product, especially as I'm so pleased with it.
I was replacing an old HP mono laser printer that has given me good service for about ten years and is still working, but this has so much more on offer. The print quality is excellent and I was amazed to find that it's even capable of producing very acceptable photographic images on ordinary paper. I retain an up-market Epson Photo Stylus printer, but I've been getting fed up with constantly having to shell out for cartridges that dry up if not used frequently. Given their high cost, it has begun to make it difficult to justify home printing of images.
The Brother printer is reasonably compact, though heavy, and is a good-looking piece of equipment. Once plugged in, there was a simple test routine that printed out a test sheet that showed the printer was working—this was before connecting it to the computer. The quality of the test printout was very encouraging—it looked superb!
I found setting up reasonably straightforward on an Apple iMac, using the USB interface, but had to download the latest driver from the Brother website because the driver on the installation CD was not compatible with OS 10.9 (Maverick). That meant I could not use the CD to set up and had to install the download in the usual way, but that is simple enough. Initially I had difficulty getting the printer recognised by the Operating System and until it is recognised, the printer won't print! The answer to that problem was also simple—restart the computer, which enables the OS to find and link up the printer and the driver—but the setting up instructions don't tell you that! With that done, the printer worked perfectly.
The duplex printing system works well, provided you have that option in a dialogue box when you go to print a document! I have an old version of Word that doesn't provide the option to print on both sides of a sheet, which means I can only print on one side when using that software. The work-around was to open the required document in Pages (Apple's own word-processing software), which does provide a duplex option, and that worked perfectly.
I have only one minor criticism and that is that the printer switches itself off (presumably an energy-saving routine) and is not necessarily on-line when you want to print. It's a bit annoying to have no way of knowing that it's not just on stand-by until you find it hasn't started up.
It's early days, but I'm very happy with the printer thus far and would certainly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 8 Oct. 2013
Great little printer. Should save us a small fortune. We were spending so much on ink cartridges for inkjet printers.

It printer well and has a remarkably quick warm-up time. The printing is super-fast, too. Very quiet when in use. Easy to set up and no problems with wi-fi connection at all. I like the way you have the option of printing only in mono, so saving on colour. Easy to switch back to colour printing when required.

Nothing bad at all to say about this printer. Does exactly what it says on the box. We spent ages reviewing printers before plumping for this one. Worth the time spent, as we got just what we were looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with Brother HL3150CDW Colour Laser Printer, 29 Oct. 2013
I got this to serve as a shared printer on the family WiFi network, and everyone in my family is very pleased with it. It works well, and the print quality is more than adequate for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Printer (No flaws as of yet!), 2 Dec. 2013
Brilliant fast printer. Upgraded from a manual duplex inkjet printer and the improvements are beyond expectations. Really enjoying the auto duplex feature, no allignment issues either.

Printers text/graphs perfectly but V. minimal inperfections in coloured images which is exspected in laser printers but still superior quality to my inkjet image printing + pages felt heavy due to the excess of ink, laser doesn't have this issue either.

Also comes preloaded with toners with reported 1000 page capacity which is a bonus. You can probabley get away with not refilling the colour toners for awhile. Print as much as possible in black. I only print scientific papers in colour.

I primarily upgraded from my inkjet due to the fact i was burning through ink. An unrelated fact was the drivers were stupidly designed to only allow manual-duplex printer in greyscale and not black.... figures. (Exploiting ink sales ?)

Overall if you need a fully duplex laser printer with large set of extra features and print in medium-large quanities. This fits the bill.

Also to conclude, it has very quick response and start up times. I've set my printer to sleep within 1 minute idle and turn offs from sleep in 8 hours time. (silent when in sleep mode)

3.0 out of 5 stars Documentation to try (or develop) the patience of a saint, 18 Nov. 2014
Decided to try colour laser printer to save ink costs

I researched the product on line but actually bought it from PC World as I wanted to be able to take it back to a shop if all went pear-shaped (wish I'd waited though; the Amazon price has got much better during the past week!)

The supplied software didn't work on my MacBook Air, so I downloaded the latest version from the Brother website.

The printer self-started and self-tested as per the instruction book
I managed to get the printer to 'talk' directly to my WiFi network; just as well because the 'connect up your computer' route did not work. Very fiddly though: the printer found the network by itself but each (case sensitive!) character of the password needs to be selected using only an up or down arrow on the control panel, viewing it on a barely adequate LCD display.

The colour is OK if photo reproduction is not important.
I'm really only interested in using this printer for line diagrams. I foresee reverting to an inkjet printer for photo work

I can't see anything in the on-line documentation which gives any hope of adjusting colour using a Mac, and the PC route doesn't look much better.

Yes, the documentation is very poor : you have to jump backwards and forwards from page to page to pursue even simple options.
Just as a very quick initial example: following the 'quick set up' guide I searched for ages to check that I had all the 'parts' then realised that the quick set up guide shown on the front page was actually the 32 page booklet I was holding in my hand!

The print user interface leaves a lot to be desired, though the functionality is there somewhere if you have the patience to seek it out.

I don't regret buying it, but I will update this review once I have tried it with my Windows 8.1 PC

Verdict: Lexus machine with a Ford Model 'T' user interface

5.0 out of 5 stars It was incredibly easy to set up on both Windows 7 and OSX ..., 27 Oct. 2014
I bought this printer a couple of weeks ago to replace an ageing Canon inkjet. It is fairly compact, the same width as my inkjet, only slightly higher but a lot deeper.

It was incredibly easy to set up on both Windows 7 and OSX Yosemite. I went straight to the website to download the drivers for each machine and set it up to run wirelessly. I have more recently installed drivers on my work laptop running Windows XP which also works fine.

I bought a set of compatible toner cartridges with the printer which set me back around £50 which seems very modest for laser cartridges. The speed and quality of this printer is as I would expect, not as sharp as an inkjet but perfectly reasonable even when printing graphics and considerably faster and I have the duplex feature turned on as standard to save paper.

All in all, I'm very impressed with this printer and would recommend for anyone wanting to print large documents at very low cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Printer, 14 Jun. 2014
I was looking for good quality output, automatic double sided (duplex) printing, reasonable initial price, low consumable costs, network printing and compatibility with Windows XP, 7 and 8.1. Printer speed was not a priority as it's for low volume use at home.

After a month it's so far so good. The printer instructions are good and it was easy to install. My printer is connected by ethernet cable to my router. The drivers were then installed on 3 laptops and 2 PCs, each of which has a wireless link to the router. Installation was quick and easy on all machines, it works well with Windows XP, 7 and 8.1. Other configurations are possible, including fully wireless network and printing directly from smart phones/tablets, but I've not used that functionality. The print quality is good and the duplex facility seems to work well, no jams so far even using some relatively low quality 70g paper. I can't comment on toner running costs as the low print volume to date means I'm still using the original toner. The printer is left permanently on as in "Deep Sleep" standby mode power consumption is only 0.5W. This avoids the need to switch it on each time it's required, which is very convenient. The printer is quite big and heavy, it's not the sort of thing you can just pick up and move around even if it was connected to the router with a wireless link. Mine's located on a sturdy 55x55cm table bought specifically for the printer. When it's in operation it's quite noisy, but it can be set to quickly revert to silent "Deep Sleep" mode. The only problem I've had is not being able to find a reasonable cover for it while it's not in use as my home is quite dusty. At the moment I'm making do with covering it with the plastic bag it was packed in, which is unsightly. It's disappointing that Brother don't seem to produce covers for their own machines. However, that's a minor problem, and at this point I'm very pleased with the printer. I'd recommend it to anyone who needs a good colour laser printer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent laser colour printer at a sensible price., 6 April 2014
Mr. Martin L. Harman "social historian" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
After researching colour laser printers for home use this Brother printer seemed to be the best value and was 5* rated by most reviewers. Setting up was easy; I downloaded the driver software from the Brother website instead of using the CD supplied to ensure I had the latest version. Previous reviewers had criticised Brother for supplying a non-UK plug lead and only a 1-year warranty (rest of EU countries had 2 years) but both of these (UK lead and 2 year warranty) were now standard. The only minor issue was that you need a USB 2 lead to set up the printer initially, even if you then use it wirelessly thereafter, but that can be "borrowed" from another USB device in that case. Printer is heavy and very well constructed so beware if you've unpacking it alone and it needs something solid to stand on. Lots of strips of sticky tape and plastic strips to be removed as part of the unpacking. The printer even does duplex (2-sided) printing automatically, which is amazing given its under £200. Cartridges are expensive and a set of 4 genuine Brother cartridges actually costs more than the printer, but their cost should compare favourably with inkjet cartridges if you do a lot of colour printing. I bought mine at an attracytive price and carriage free from PrinterBase Ltd, Ashton-Under-Lyne and it was delivered by courier two days later.

4.0 out of 5 stars Printed images aren't as good as an inkjet printer, 12 Aug. 2014
B. A. Friar - See all my reviews
After quite a bit of deliberation and reading endless reviews, I finally took the plunge and bought this printer from Amazon. Delivery was prompt (the next day) and I very quickly had the thing set up. As I have had issues with the wireless aspect of printers, I have this one "wired" into my home network so all other devices connected to the network can access it.

As other reviewers have commented it is a big brut and you need a decent desk/table to support it. After 3 months of intermitted use, I have finally had to replace the "lightly" loaded toner cartridges all at once, but not before they had delivered a few hundred pages and all of quite decent quality.

Printed images aren't as good as an inkjet printer, but they aren't bad and at a fraction of the cost, I can live with that. Don't expect photo quality pictures and you may have to play with your software to get the best prints of you have photos.

Text and not photo images are just fine and have no complaints - have just loaded a set of compatible cartridges from Prestige.

This is a great workhorse of a printer, it can ponder a bit when loading up image data before printing, but once its got going, it prints at a good pace, even duplex. A sound buy, and I'd buy another!