Size: Printer With Starter Toners|Change
Price:£99.99+ Free shipping

on 5 November 2015
I bought this a week ago as a little home office printer. It's cheap and pretty easy to setup, delivery was fast but the colours are really poor.

I had to download the drivers from the Brother site as I don't have a CD drive on my laptop but it was all straight forward.

If you install the proper drivers you can control the print colours a bit more. The best result you can get is setting the colours to "vivid" and the quality to "fine" in the print dialogue but it's not great. Especially the yellow which looks more like a mustard colour at 100% Y. The magenta is quite purply rather than a clear bright cerise pink and the cyan is dull.

The black is ok but our company branding is pretty bright and this just isn't up to the job. I've since read that this is a common issue with Brother laser printers and toners. I'm not expecting a laser printer at this level to produce vivid hues like an inkjet or an HP Indigo press or anything, but if you want to do anything with a bit of punch I'd leave this printer alone.

With hindsight I'd have spent a bit more and got an OKI. The toners are more expensive but you get what you pay for. Lesson learned :(
on 28 November 2015
The printer is heavy, yes, but loaded with sophisticated features. Wireless set-up is a little technical and I would urge buyers to read the instructions very carefully before actually doing so. The innards of the machine look fairly simple and toner capsules look simple to replace (see photo).
review image
on 4 September 2015
There are a lot of mixed reviews on here but all you want to hear is 'is it a good printer?'
Yes it is - and at less than £100 for a laser (well LED) it is fantastic value.
I think a lot of the poorer marks come from people who had difficulty setting it up for wireless operation.
So a quick precis: Took it out of the box, took all the sticky tapes off - removed the cartridges and took their safety plastic bits off.
Put them back and turned it on.
'setup wizard' showed on the screen, I pressed ok and it searched for the wireless router.
It found it and asked for the password (found on the back of the router) A bit of 'up -down' with the keys and it was in and connected.
Put DVD in and installed the wireless drivers. It now shows in 'printers' on windows (no trouble at all)

Printed a few pages, it was fast and excellent print quality. Printed a photo and it wasn't so good until I realised I was in standard print mode.
Changed this to high quality and a great photo came out.
If you want to use card or glossy photo paper, there is a front and back flap to pull down. This then goes through the printer without bending at all.
The paper carrier is excellent taking 250 pages - pull it out put a ream in there and close the lid.
A very compact extremely high quality text printer and photos are of a high enough quality to frame.
And when I say high enough - you have to look really close to see 'sometimes' slight banding of the black colours.
I highly recommend this printer - you will be delighted with it.
0Comment|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 May 2015
Good printer for the money. I've had it for over six months, and no issues at all. The 'shipped' toners worked for surprisingly long, although I'm not a high volume user by any means.

One tip: when the printer tells you a toner has 'run out', search You Tube for a video on resetting the printer. With a particular sequence of buttons, the printer is happy to hold onto the 'empty' toner for longer; when the printer first says the toner is empty, it's not. With the price of toners as they are, it's well worth doing this.

One warning: research the replacement toner prices! A set of Brother toners costs significantly MORE than the printer does. I have opted to buy some compatible toners, but too soon to say how they will perform.
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 June 2014
Wow! This arrived today so I can't comment on the durability of it (although it is definitely chunky and feels well built), but by the end of the first half hour we had printed pictures from:
- Windows 7 machine
- Three Android devices (Sony phone running Ice Cream Sandwich, Samsung tablet running the same, and old Samsung phone running Gingerbread)
- Apple Ipad.
We have since set it up to run across the USB cable with our old XP desktop and again it's quick and simple and installed with the CD supplied.

So impressed, for the first time in ages we are all able to use the same printer without having to exchange any files across te network. The colour is good, the installation is simple (although the entering of the network password is a joke, as others have already mentioned), and when I set it to the 'fine' setting for a photograph it came out pretty impressive.

Word of note - from Ipad and Android devices, using the Brother app, we only seem to be able to print a single image to A4 - great for the kids but with no resizing options it is not the most useful thing in the world. However, there may be other apps availabe that deal with this (for the techies out there, the SDK is available so maybe someone can build us one!). On the document side though I have just printed a nine-page document from Android (phone) and it came out absolutely fine, the app gives the option to print mono only, fine/ normal quality, and also allows 2 in 1 and 4 in 1 printing (handy as it doesn't do duplex). Quite suprised to say 4 pages on 1 is quite easy to read - this will save us a stack of paper.

All in all I love this machine. I know it's early days but so far it couldn't have delivered better.
on 15 December 2013
Unpacked it, put it on the desk (it's bloody heavy), and set it up on my WiFi network without any problems, using nothing but the buttons on the printer. Printed from my Mac running MacOS X 10.9 without any problems, and without having to set up anything. Printed from the wife's iPad without any problems and without having to set up anything either. Checked that it didn't stop working if I turned the printer off and on, and after resetting my home network, and it didnt'. Positives: Holds 250 pages of paper. Prints very fast (compared to previous Samsung printer). Can print black&white only from Mac which is great once you run out of colour. Can be plugged in anywhere in the house just with the power cable because of WFi.
11 comment|108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 August 2013
One of the relatively few 'air printers' using laser technology. Well made and easy to use after setup. Quite expensive toners. Overall quite pleased.
on 9 March 2014
Thought long and hard before picking this printer, very good price for a colour printer. The consumables may be a little bit expensive but you get a lot of printing for your money.
The printer is BIG and heavy so ensure you look at the dimensions and have somewhere solid to place it.
The wireless function is brilliant, works with laptops and with iphone.
on 29 April 2015
Just installed this printer. Printed a photo absolutely amazing quality. For the money it was amazing. I was fed up with inkjet because cartridges very expensive and they kept drying up. Cannot believe the quality of this printer! Wireless is brilliant and easy to set up. I would seriously recommend this printer. How do they do it for the price???? Wow! Update since last April. Absolutely superb printer. Far Better than an inkjet. It is still working on the same cartridges. Wireless link works perfectley every time. I really recommend it.
This took less than ten minutes to set up once I'd unpacked it out of the box. Set up to wirelessly detect my iPad, iPhone (through the brother printer app available from iTunes Store for free) and my PC (supplied CD) and printed from all of them first time without a problem, although it did take a short time whilst it processed the request. Colours look good, although much better if printed from a hard wire connection to a laptop or PC, for which you need a printer cable (not supplied). A replacement pack of toner cartridges can be had for around £40 so this makes laser printing relatively cheap. It's quick too but I've not hit the 18 pages a minute yet that's advertised. It also won't print on both sides but I don't use that facility too often anyway so it's not much of a loss. Really satisfied with this printer and would recommend it without hesitation.