Format: DVD|Change

on 11 August 2013
Any Halo fan will love this .
Pros ; this explains a bit more about the UNSC war with insurrectionists and the Covenant .
Also introduces you to the training methods of the UNSC military academy .
Cons ; Should have been longer ( wishful thinking on my part , maybe ) ,
Would liked to have seen the full 'Forward Unto Dawn' wording on the inscription .
Amazon service top rate 100% .

I had never heard anything about this and thought it would probably be rubbish, but it surprised me in many ways. I'm not sure how much it cost to make, if it was a large or small budget film, because it seemed to have been filmed in relatively few locations (perhaps so it cost less to make) yet at the same time there where some amazing props and effects in it too.

Watching it, it seems to have stayed true to the Halo franchise, with costumes, vehicles, weapons and aliens all being faithfully recreated on screen. Viewers will recognise things like sticky grenades, the alien's plasma shields and the different types of aliens for instance.

Perhaps most surprisingly of all though was the story line. It wasn't groundbreaking by any stretch of the imagination - it was very simple in fact, revolving around a military academy in which the young recruits come under attack - but it was a decent set up for what looks like it could be a pretty exciting Sci-Fi franchise if it takes off; it certainly left me eager for more as the young squad (or what's left of them) scramble away from their training facility under the guidance of 'Master Chief' - no longer wet behind the ear rookies.

The acting too was pretty good too, which was a bonus given the young cast who all managed to pull off their roles convincingly enough. There is a bit of a slow start, but in the end it all kicks off and perhaps. My one grumble: perhaps the action could have come a bit sooner in the film and I would have liked to have seen more.

Things just get going and when the action starts it's all over too soon leaving you eager for more, but by the end of it, I'd enjoyed the film and wanted to see the next instalment... I just hope there is one. If I had the next film, I would have leaped up and stuck it in my BluRay player as quickly as possible. Part two looks like it'll be great. Fingers crossed there is one.
44 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2013
I have played the game and I though the movie would follow the game, but no. I was surprise at the story line, about the cadets and the invasion of the planet they were on.
As you know or don't , Forward unto Dawn is a space ship, so I was wondering how the name of the space ship fits with the cadets.
Apart from that not a bad movie.
on 24 June 2013
Quite good action and effects.

However the dialogue was at times incomprehensible. It could just be the fault of editing or directing. Being an action film you would think this didn't matter but anyone who has watched First Blood or more recently Band of Brothers will know that dialogue just adds to the grittiness and immersion.
Just so you know, this is a review of the Forward Unto Dawn Film and not the DVD or Bluray itself. Surprisingly, this was quite a good film. I'm not a fan of the games (It's not that I don't like them but I've only ever played one) but that didn't spoil my enjoyment of it nonetheless.

on 30 March 2015
Brilliant film. Bought for my son who is a massive Halo fan. I watched it with him and even I found it to be a very good story line and I'm not particularly a big fan of the franchise. Would recommend for anyone keen on the game series or anyone who likes a movie with action and suspense.
on 4 July 2014
This is the best sci-fi film i've seen since x-files! It's full of action, some parts pretty sad and the rest well... what more can I say but epic! I recommend this to any halo fan out there! you got to buy this or your missing out on something truly amazing!
on 4 June 2013
Nothing quite beats Halo in terms of story, and this does not let you down!

Halo: Forward Unto Dawn is an epic live action movie by Microsoft that really shows just how special the Halo story is. Buy it, watch it, love it! This is simply Brilliant!
on 30 September 2013
I loved this when it appeared on the Halo Waypoint. All five episodes that were originally featured are combined into one full length film. As for the story, although it takes a while to get to the point, it's well worth a watch. A must for any halo fan.
on 7 September 2013
Been playing Halo since the first xbox came out. Seeing the masterchief on the big screen would have been great, but until then, there's Forward Unto Dawn. A great movie for a very decent price considering a ton of extra's. Must have for any Halo gamer !