5.0 out of 5 stars Almost forgotten., 25 Feb 2003
This review is from: Waiting For The Floods (Audio CD)
Like the previous reviewer I was amazed to find this issued on CD ; I'd almost given up hope , thinking it was destined to be a forgotten artifact from the mid-80's.But here at last - since my vinyl is long worn out - a chance to revel in some wonderful bombastic overblown stadium type rock from a time when Simple Minds & U2 ruled the planet. And this one off album fronted by ex Skids man Richard Jobson is certainly a match for some of their output.Big choruses , fretless bass and some superb guitar work make for a great listen all underpinned by some wonderful lyrics.
Every home should have one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Captain And The Legend, 4 Sep 2012
Coincidence Vs Fate - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Waiting For The Floods (Audio CD)
The Armoury Show were a half-Skids/half-Magazine hybrid, fusing the anthemic vocals of Richard Jobson with the choppy eclectic guitar of the late, great John McGeogh. This album, their only long-player, showcases that old adage of "what might have been". At a time when the world was singing "Don't You Forget About Me" a much smaller number of us were singing the wonderful "Castles In Spain" - He who will rise/he will fall again/I see in your eyes/Castles in Spain.

Jobson showed us with "Joy" that he was capable of something special and with the help of McGeogh and, of course, Doyle and Webb he managed to encapsulate all he'd been striving for on here. No, not as successful as those Skids records, but ultimately more rewarding.

While Stuart Adamson had big success with Big County, The Armoury Show were just as important although their artistry didn't turn into sales unfortunately.

The singles on here, the aforementioned "Castles...", plus "We Can Be Brave Again" and "Glory Of Love" could all easily have been arm-waving, lighter-in-hand anthems enough to turn Jim Kerr a sickly shade of green, but only a handful of people bought them. Life isn't fair, is it?
I don't know, of course, but I would imagine Richard Jobson is immensely proud of this record. Four people came together and created something magical; it's just a shame that so few of us shared that magic.

Get a copy if you can, then leave a comment, something along the lines of "Yep, you' were right, the Armoury Show were brilliant".
Waiting For The Floods is a 40 odd minutes captured in amber, perfection.

4.0 out of 5 stars More than Skids Anthems, 25 Jun 2004
D. Butcher "David Butcher" (Algeciras, ( Cadiz ) Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waiting For The Floods (Audio CD)
I was a big Skids fan in their heyday. I'd heard and liked 'Castles In Spain' when it was released as a single so many moons ago but I didn't take my interest any further and didn't purchase this album.
Here I am 20 years after it's release wondering why I'd missed out for so many years, It's only taken me a few listens and I can't get the tunes out of my head. Jobson is as good as ever, the vocal athlete, stirring choruses in abundance. Listen out for the unmistakable John McGeogh on guitar, subtle reminders of Magazine, the sound he creates for 'The Glory Of Love' could almost be from The Banshees 'Ju Ju/Israel' era. One of the highlights is Billy 'Ultravox' Currie on violin, who would have thought the Skids and Ultravox sound could work together, but it does. Get it before it gets delisted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Close but no Cigar !, 29 April 2013
This review is from: Waiting For The Floods (2CD Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
A great lost album of the Post New wave period. I saw them live supporting the Pyschedelic Furs and was hooked, and the first Single the Nick Tauber produced 'Castles in Spain' had everything, A great riff, rousing chorus and a Vibe that said 'Ennio Morricone goes Rock' !
But guess what......yep the original 7" Nick Tauber produced track is not on the CD, a great chance missed. But we do have the b-sides which sound damn good after all these years.
I won't say anything about the rest of the album except for 'Jungle of Cities' makes a welcome return after it's absence on the previous Track Records release of this CD, plus why all the 'New York City' remixes or maybe that's my personal gripe !

Anyway 4 stars from me, would have been 5 but for the obvious omission.

Oh well here's to next time !

5.0 out of 5 stars Proper Jobbo, 22 May 2013
M. Isham (Historic Warwick, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waiting For The Floods (2CD Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
One of those good Amazon moments. Carelessly browsing through the Cd's and this little beauty appears in the recommendations. I didn't know it was out and had given up hope of owning a CD of this brilliant album. Fastest hit of the "add to basket" button ever. A special edition yet, with the 12" versions that introduced me to the band originally. Even taking rampant nostalgia into account, this is still a fantastic sounding record. Deep joy. Buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guitar Heaven, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Waiting For The Floods (2CD Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
Common with the majority of posts here, I bought The Armoury Show's singles and this album when they were released way back when. To be honest, I was never a big fan of Richard Jobson, his lyrics always struck me as being nonsense-trying to be clever Dick as it were. The one thing that seperates this album from its peers Big Country, Simple Minds etc is the sheer magnificence of the late and certainly great John McGeoch's guitar work. There is a bombast to it but also a fragilty which, to my ears, he never equaled elsewhere in his career. His solo in the title track is worth the price of this collection on its own. I paid nearly 50 a couple of years ago for the original Track records CD release and didn't begrudge a penny of it. I've now ordered this. It is a fitting epitaph and tribute to one of the great unsung guitarists. Do yourselves a favour and buy it now.

4.0 out of 5 stars EPIC!!, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Waiting For The Floods (2CD Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
This is one band that could have been huge to match the awesome guitar sound they produce, but alas they didn't get to be huge due to Big Country overtaking them in the popularity stakes. But nevertheless this is a superbly produced album with Castles In Spain a personal highlight. Richard Jobsons vocals are superb - what a voice! Though several mixes of New York City - their final single is repetitive this is one album that got away and shouldn't have. It rightly deserves to be a top ten album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this album!, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: Waiting For The Floods (2CD Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
I was a massive fan of The Skids - Days in Europa is still in my top 10 albums of all time. I saw The Armoury Show live a couple of times back in the day and thought they were brilliant as well. John McGeogh was an incredible talent and just made every band he played in sound awesome. Combining this with Richard Jobsons personaity and sheer presence made for a great - and very under-rated - band.

I have played this album on vinyl since it came out and to finally hear it on CD is great - in fact it has been on in my car non-stop for weeks. A briliant, brilliant album from an awesome band. If you are a fan of bands like The Skids, Big Country, Spear of Destiny, etc and other bands of that era - buy this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Post Skids Classic, 1 May 2013
John Halton (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waiting For The Floods (2CD Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
Like many Skids fans I ran out to buy the next big thing from ex Skids front-man Richard Jobson. What we got was the outstanding single Castles in Spain. For those of us who purchased the 12 inch single we got the superb Wubb Dug Mix and two brilliant B-Sides.

So when then Big Country manager Ian Grant re-released the bands only album on Track Records it was disappointing not to get some of these long lost classics as extras. Now, thanks to those good people at Cherry Red you get 19 additional songs including extended mixes and B-sides. Only the tracks from penultimate single Love in Anger have had to be omitted, apparently due to being unable to get the legal clearance required to include them.

Whilst the original album was inconsistent, with the four singles dominating proceedings, this extended version is a brilliant collection of songs and a must purchase for any fans of punk/post punk/eighties music.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lost 80s classic, finally on CD!, 16 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Waiting For The Floods (Audio CD)
I never, ever, ever imagined this album getting released on CD. But here it is! Great "alt-rock" from 1985, although the term hadn't been invented at that point. "Castles In Spain" and "Kyrie" are classics, and the sound is incredible.

Waiting For The Floods (2CD Deluxe Edition)
Waiting For The Floods (2CD Deluxe Edition) by The Armoury Show (Audio CD - 2013)