Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 7 September 2002
Having burnt out myself 18 months ago, this book spoke to me immediately, making clear sense of what I'd been through, helping me to understand that I'm not alone in my experiences and giving so many wonderful suggestions as to how to create more joy in my life as I move forwards.
The book is divided into 2 sections, the first half describing the path to burnout and the second half, the path to joy from the ashes of burnout.
I feel there are so many people who could learn so much from the first half of this book. I recognised all my own traits which led me to burn out and I can see these traits in many others around me. Reading this book in time might just help those others to recognise the path they are on before they reach the very painful point of burnout.
For me personally, the second half of the book was what truly spoke to me. Dina Glouberman gives meaning and understanding to the things I am trying to build in my life ... a strong and honest sense of self, a flexible, non-controlling attitude towards life and lots of fun and happiness! Reading the book, I felt as though my hand were being held and wonderfully important and supportive advice were being whispered in my ear.
This is a book I will refer to again and again. It gives me a sense of being understood, being supported and of inspiration.
on 8 October 2002
In this very inspiring book Dina Glouberman has succeeded in bringing a whole new perspective burnout. Far from being a symptom of not being up to the job or unable to cope, or being a failure ....all the kinds of feelings that come up when burnout hits...she tells us it is quite the opposite.
What emerges is the picture of capable, motivated, committed people who lose touch with their own purpose, truth and value and keep going, ignoring the signals, until the Soul says STOP!
She gives us all the resources we need throughout the book, to explore through self-reflection and imagework,what burnout is and whether we are in it or heading for it. And in the second section what to do to prevent it or deal with it.
The classification for this book is religion and spirituality. I think this is too narrow. It is a book about life in the 21st century, and how, if we are to cope, we need to develop new strategies for living. Strategies which include being true to ourselves and finding and trusting our inner resources, developing our talents and gifts, and finding the friends and resources (our soul community) that will support us in our journey. For this reason I think this is a great book for anyone, don't wait to get burnt out!
on 9 June 2003
'The Joy of Burnout' - it sounds like such a contradiction, doesn't it, especially if, like me, you are currently experiencing burnout. To be honest, I was a little sceptical when my psychotherapist recommended this book to me, commenting that "it was written for you". I dutifully ordered a copy, and sat down to read it as soon as it arrived, and boy, am I glad I did! Reading this book has brought me such unbelievable comfort at a very dark time in my life; it is like having a kind friend take you gently by the hand and lead you towards a path of positivity and growth that you might not otherwise have found.
Dr Dina Glouberman begins by explaining what burnout is, and why it occurs (which I found very revealing and enlightening), and continues on a path that if you choose to follow, will lead to new self-understanding, healing and growth; it is hugely positive. At a time when I had no energy or motivation, and could see no way forward, I found that I could not put this book down. Dr Dina Glouberman does not issue orders or make demands; she guides you gently, and the rest is up to you, but I challenge anyone not to feel comforted and inspired by this wonderful book.
on 26 February 2011
I genuinely believe this author has a most profound understanding of the issue and there is much value in this publication.
BUT - and this is a big but - the writings are not for the faint-hearted or slow-witted (no offence, read on). The style is highly articulate and deep of thought, which is all very well if your mind is functioning well and can process and absorb it. I would expect many people buying this book are already in an advanced stage of burnout and, like me, are probably experiencing reduced cognative ability and concentration, hence my comment about being 'slow-witted'. Harsh, probably, but a criticism I have beaten myself up with continually until I understood that I was, in fact, ill and was no more worthy of self-criticism than being unable to walk with a broken leg!
Having said all this, I have taken great value from the book in terms of understanding where I am, how I got here, that my problems are far from unique and there is a way out. It concentrates a lot on introspection and self-analysis, which is good if you can handle it. Other references warn against this and concentrate more on the physiological aspects of so-called 'adrenaline burnout' and offer more practical advice on diet, exercise and the like.
I have to 'fess up that I did not finish it as I found it harder and harder going and became frustrated with myself for not being able to process the concepts - rather counter-productive in the circumstances.
Thinking more generally, the whole subject appears to be surrounded by the inevitable fog of alternative theories and a hoard of people offering various solutions for varying amounts of money. I have found little hard medical research to back any of this up. Unfortunatley, this means you have conflicting information, with which to make very important decisions on finding your way out, at a time when you may be questioning you own judgement. As a result, I feel references alone are not the whole answer and outside assistance, at least from someone close, or possibly a professional, should also be considered.
Bottom line: I'm glad I bought the book and I really buy into the concept of a 'New Begiining'. However, I feel it can only be part of a much larger and more complex solution.
Good luck.
on 15 August 2010
Am writing this in retrospect and although at the time I found it really helpful to read something I recognised as true to my circumstances, 6 months on not sure gave me enough to take action with. Most useful I think to give to a loved one who is heading towards burn out and is not aware yet. Was very comforting at the time to have recognition of what i was going through though and i think gave me permission to grieve for the loss of my feeling passionate about my work. Sadly the passionate capable people tend to attract a workload that then snuffs all of that out over time, particularly in the caring professions.
on 16 June 2013
This is such an inspiring read for those suffering from burnout (whatever stage of the process you are in) or suffering along with people who are burning out. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I was so glad when this book came out on kindle so that i could have it with me always. It is a great book to read from start to finish but also works as a book to just open up where your spirit takes you to also find gems. The book has such a positive take on a difficult topic and does so with humour, insight and grace.
on 10 April 2010
This is an excellent introduction to, and description of, burn out. It is one of the few, if not the only one that covers the subject in general and is not aimed at workplace or professional burn out. Neither is it a textbook.
The problem I found was that only the Imagery Technique was given as a means to overcome the problem. There are many other ways and this book would have benefited a great deal from the inclusion of these-not everyone is able to use this technique especially if suffering from the illness.

None too happy with the promotion of her Skyros holidays etc throughout the book.
on 15 February 2015
This was EXCELLENT. I feel SO much better about what Im going thru now, and I finally feel like there's light at the end of the tunnel. I did the exercises and they shed immense clarification...realised I am still the fiery, determined gritty girl I always have been, just need to recharge and then rise up from this burnout. into a better and happier life. Obvs it'll take time but when I'm back on my feet I'll update this review because I honestly think this has changed something mentally in me today..was going to take antidepressants but now feel l don't have to
on 6 December 2012
This book was recommended to me by my counsellor. It's been my guide through some quite painful revelations and brought me to a place where I can finally heal before something serious happens to me. I did use it with a counsellor to support me and actually I think that if you can access one as well as using the book it is much better because it can be painful at times and they can help you sort through your thoughts and give you comfort. The book tells you that you are not alone and your counsellor will listen and guide you out the other side.
on 16 April 2012
After reading this book I realised that I have being suffering from burnouts for a very long time. Mostly in the transition zone leading up to a decision to pack everything in and do something else, which never works by the way, you just go right back into burnout mode. e.g. Holding on to the interest and confusion I have in my creative job whilst everything in life suffered because of neglect, because all my energy was going into work which I was beginning to hate at an alarming rate. This book has helped me understand what it is I need to do in order to get back my creative juices as well as seeing reality in the real world and not through a cloud of hollowness.

Now this book is not easy to read. It has quite a lot of mistakes such as the use of the same word twice in a row, I had had angina for about six months being an example. Also a lot sentences just don't make any sense and could have being simplified. But other than that, excellent book. It's of those 'I wish I knew I had this earlier moments'. The realisation and relief of knowing you have this is therapy in itself. Good Luck!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse