5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on Burnout
Terrific, optimistic, realistic and compassionate book for those with burnout or similar feelings and conditions. Includes many ideas which may be very valuable to people in these times; e.g. for me the concept of continuing to 'live truthfully', which leads to 'continuing to do good work, whilst expecting no reward for it'.
Published on 24 Jun 2007 by Hector

3.0 out of 5 stars All very well but...
I genuinely believe this author has a most profound understanding of the issue and there is much value in this publication.
Published on 26 Feb 2011 by COLIN C

3.0 out of 5 stars All very well but..., 26 Feb 2011
COLIN C (Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
BUT - and this is a big but - the writings are not for the faint-hearted or slow-witted (no offence, read on). The style is highly articulate and deep of thought, which is all very well if your mind is functioning well and can process and absorb it. I would expect many people buying this book are already in an advanced stage of burnout and, like me, are probably experiencing reduced cognative ability and concentration, hence my comment about being 'slow-witted'. Harsh, probably, but a criticism I have beaten myself up with continually until I understood that I was, in fact, ill and was no more worthy of self-criticism than being unable to walk with a broken leg!
Having said all this, I have taken great value from the book in terms of understanding where I am, how I got here, that my problems are far from unique and there is a way out. It concentrates a lot on introspection and self-analysis, which is good if you can handle it. Other references warn against this and concentrate more on the physiological aspects of so-called 'adrenaline burnout' and offer more practical advice on diet, exercise and the like.
I have to 'fess up that I did not finish it as I found it harder and harder going and became frustrated with myself for not being able to process the concepts - rather counter-productive in the circumstances.
Thinking more generally, the whole subject appears to be surrounded by the inevitable fog of alternative theories and a hoard of people offering various solutions for varying amounts of money. I have found little hard medical research to back any of this up. Unfortunatley, this means you have conflicting information, with which to make very important decisions on finding your way out, at a time when you may be questioning you own judgement. As a result, I feel references alone are not the whole answer and outside assistance, at least from someone close, or possibly a professional, should also be considered.
Bottom line: I'm glad I bought the book and I really buy into the concept of a 'New Begiining'. However, I feel it can only be part of a much larger and more complex solution.
Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on Burnout, 24 Jun 2007

3.0 out of 5 stars Good start but then.........., 10 April 2010
Mrs. Audrey Williams (France) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent introduction to, and description of, burn out. It is one of the few, if not the only one that covers the subject in general and is not aimed at workplace or professional burn out. Neither is it a textbook.
The problem I found was that only the Imagery Technique was given as a means to overcome the problem. There are many other ways and this book would have benefited a great deal from the inclusion of these-not everyone is able to use this technique especially if suffering from the illness.

None too happy with the promotion of her Skyros holidays etc throughout the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Joy of Burnout (Kindle Edition)
This is such an inspiring read for those suffering from burnout (whatever stage of the process you are in) or suffering along with people who are burning out. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I was so glad when this book came out on kindle so that i could have it with me always. It is a great book to read from start to finish but also works as a book to just open up where your spirit takes you to also find gems. The book has such a positive take on a difficult topic and does so with humour, insight and grace.

5.0 out of 5 stars really useful book, 3 May 2013
helpful in preventing burnout as well as coping with it

why do I have to write more
words than this?

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 23 Feb 2013
This book is simply amazing. If you want to understand more about burnout, why it is happening and how you can survive it then don't hesitate. It quite simply has the potential to be life changing.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life for the better, 6 Dec 2012
This book was recommended to me by my counsellor. It's been my guide through some quite painful revelations and brought me to a place where I can finally heal before something serious happens to me. I did use it with a counsellor to support me and actually I think that if you can access one as well as using the book it is much better because it can be painful at times and they can help you sort through your thoughts and give you comfort. The book tells you that you are not alone and your counsellor will listen and guide you out the other side.

4.0 out of 5 stars Opened a door of realisation, 16 April 2012
After reading this book I realised that I have being suffering from burnouts for a very long time. Mostly in the transition zone leading up to a decision to pack everything in and do something else, which never works by the way, you just go right back into burnout mode. e.g. Holding on to the interest and confusion I have in my creative job whilst everything in life suffered because of neglect, because all my energy was going into work which I was beginning to hate at an alarming rate. This book has helped me understand what it is I need to do in order to get back my creative juices as well as seeing reality in the real world and not through a cloud of hollowness.

Now this book is not easy to read. It has quite a lot of mistakes such as the use of the same word twice in a row, I had had angina for about six months being an example. Also a lot sentences just don't make any sense and could have being simplified. But other than that, excellent book. It's of those 'I wish I knew I had this earlier moments'. The realisation and relief of knowing you have this is therapy in itself. Good Luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Increase your understanding of Burnout, 7 Sep 2009
C. Workman (England) - See all my reviews
This book has greatly helped me to understand what happened to me during a recent episode of 'Burnout'. It put into words what I had been experiencing and helped me to make sense of it all. I wouldn't say it is a book to read like a novel - cover to cover - but it is useful to dip in and out of choosing the chapters relevant to your journey back to recovery. I have lent it to two friends who also found it a very positive read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Oct 2014
Excellent book, full of sense and practical advice on managing life

The Joy of Burnout