5.0 out of 5 stars Yikes - a close shave indeed!
I've wavered between electric and wet shaves for years - I like the convenience of electric, but the closeness of a wet shave is often preferable. Well, if you have worries about time-consumption when it comes to shaving, this Shavette may not be for you as a hurried shave could well be your last!!
This is basically the old fashioned cut-throat razor that has been...
Published 12 months ago by Atticman

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool but scarey
Menrock: The Cut Throat Shavette

I have only once had a shave with a cut throat razor and that was at a barbers which specialised in such things. It was a real treat and felt great.

That being the case I jumped at the chance to try this home edition cut throat razor although things didn’t quite turn out as planned!
But first. The packaging...
Published 11 months ago by A. J. Russell-pattison

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool but scarey, 20 May 2014
A. J. Russell-pattison "Tony" (Manchester. U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Menrock: The Cut Throat Shavette

But first. The packaging is grand. All sepia and maroon (very masculine) and featuring a picture of a partially shaved and very attractive young man who looks frighteningly cool. Inside is the razor wrapped in tissue paper and a small tube of “love heart” sweets (not sure why?). The overall effect is cool and blokey, although calling the razor a “shavette” adds a rather camp note.

As you would imagine the razor comes with blades which are easy to attach and the whole thing is simple and stylish. A friend suggested that before launching myself at my own face with what can be a quite scarey looking piece of kit that I practice by shaving foam off a balloon. Good idea I thought and so that’s exactly what I did. Anyhow, many balloons later and with the room looking like a shaving foam canister had exploded I admitted defeat. I hate balloons popping and so was a little psychologically if not physically shredded at this point!

So there you have it. Looks stylish and classy. Well made and very cool. How does it shave? No idea. Too frightened to try it! Now seeking medical help for possible tremors!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yikes - a close shave indeed!, 17 April 2014
Atticman (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is basically the old fashioned cut-throat razor that has been around for centuries, but with the added bonus of replaceable razors meaning you don't have to sharpen it. Therefore all the same caution of amateur wet-shaving should be adhered to - take your time, think about the angle, move your hand and angle of the razor to match your face's contours. Once you have got the hang of it, (and, if you're anything like me, several plasters later....) this will help upi achieve the closest and smoothest shave you've ever had, provided you use a decent foam as well. Plus the blades are cheap to replace (my barber uses these for doing the back of my neck and he uses a new blade with every customer), and best of all it just looks COOL : both sitting in your bathroom, and in your hand. It makes you feel like a real man.... ;-)

3.0 out of 5 stars The return of the wild west, 21 Aug. 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was supposed to have had one of these to test, but the wrong item was sent. A few months later I still had the bug to try a cut throat shave so I decided to take the plunge.

I knew it wouldn't be easy and whenever you change your shaving regime there is a period where your skin needs to condition itself to the new method. So I gave this a few weeks and persevered. In the beginning I was sore, nicked, missed bits or just couldn't get the angle right to cut the hair and not my skin. I have quite a fast growth of tough hair and I have to shave every day, so it was a steep and fast learning curve.

After a few weeks I was getting the hang of it, but in the end I asked my self "What is the point?" and "This isn't the 1800s wild west". I just didn't see what all the fuss was about. It is far faster, easier and with the same result to shave with a good quality safety razor - and I am using the same blade! With a safety razor the blade is still in contact with your skin and the angle is set right - exactly as it would be if you used the cut throat correctly.

Whilst there is something to be said about going back to grass roots with a shave, I have moved on. I don't wake up in the mornings and think "It would be nice to take the horse and cart to work today because it is the way it used to be done".

If you are still thinking of having a go, this is a cheap and good starting point. You don't have to strop the blade and if it dulls, then it is easily replaced. If you do get the hang of it and like it, then you can go on to invest in the whole set up - a full blade, strop, wooden chair, porch, a colt revolver, and a piece of dirty, broken mirror to see what you are doing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Because what man doesn't want to press a sharp blade to his throat?, 16 April 2014
J. Lyne (Forres, Morayshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have wanted to try "real" shaving for a few years but have not wanted to shell out the money for a full straight razor and all of the other gubbins needed to keep it in a condition suitable to shave. So this device has given me the opportunity to have a go before I take the plunge.

And actually I have discovered that it both works extremely well, and does not require the skill or maintenance (or cost) of a real straight razor.

The kit comes with the razor handle, a pack of double edged blades which require snapping in half before they can be used and a pack of sweets to keep you busy while you wait for the blood to dry out on your face after your first attempts. No instructions on how to shave though which was a bit disappointing.

So a trawl through various YouTube videos yielded the required instructions, and a day or so later I plucked up the courage and had a go. I quickly learned that I needn't have been so nervous. If you follow the instructional videos available and take your time then with a few days of practise you can achieve a finish as good as any multi blade safety razor.

Packs of single edged blades are available on Amazon for a very reasonable amount compared to the cost of safety razor blades, and even if you change the blade every shave (which I recommend) then this is both a very economical and satisfying way to shave.

4.0 out of 5 stars bit sharp!, 21 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My dad likes it but I must admit it loses a star because I worry about him losing an ear. Its the pinkest I have seen his face forever. It takes a little longer to do but I am sure given time he will get quicker and more confidant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tricky at first but nice close shave., 15 May 2014
Astore Stargazer (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not my favourite way to shave it has to be said. But I do like to try new things. Unfortunately I don't have anything to judge it against but I wasnt covered in blood so it must have been a good attempt.

I would recomend as a present for someone who is used to shaving this way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good shave but handle with care, 16 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The razor is nicely made but care needs to be taken snapping the razor blade so it fits the holder, takes a little getting used to but gives a close shave.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cut Throat, 16 April 2014
Funk (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sort of disposable razor meets cut throat. Instead of an inbuilt blade it has a little notch where you fit half a normal razor blade (supplied, snap them in half and slide in). This will give you a super close shave without the need to strop the blade every time.

The build quality isn't great (bit plasticky), but you're not paying the earth so I wouldn't worry that much. I would say it's a more novelty gift, or a way to see if you want to spend the money on buying a high quality cut-throat.

I've used it a few times, there is definitely a knack to it. Personally I don't use it every day (because I'm lazy and have an electric shaver), but it comes out for times when you've got time to spend a bit of time one sunday morning and feel really manly. It really does give you a shave as smooth as an androids bottom.

4.0 out of 5 stars The cutting edge, 16 April 2014
woody_tng (Chelmsford, Essex) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried to get on with this razor for a few weeks now. All that happens is blood everywhere. That is more to do with my technique than the product and I will continue to persivere. The razor itself is well made but the blade replacment I find a little fiddly, and that is a nerve racking experience with a razor blade between your fingers. Other than that, the shave is close and cheeper than your saftey razors. I for one am not yet converted, but I may change this review if I get the knack.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Close Shave, 12 April 2014
mall1990 "dotially" (St. Annes, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Requires a bit of practice to get used to the technique needed for extended use. Easy to change safety blade. Delivers a good clean and close shave. 9/10.

Men Rock Cut Throat Shavette