on 2 April 2016
This is a travesty of Elizabeth Jane Howard's immensely appealing novels. The clunky direction and over stylised production alongside the clear discomfort of many of the cast entirely missed the real essence of the novels. Try the acclaimed radio production of four texts on Radio 4! I paid an inordinate amount for this rot!
on 3 March 2016
loved this period film set in ww11....all the other reviews say it all so no need for me to go into the details. buy it watch it I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. like everybody else it is just a shame there wasn't a follow up series to tie up the loose ends. don't let that put you off!!
on 10 April 2015
A gorgeous production which met all my hopes and expectations with regard to authenticity and character casting. My only disappointment is that the BBC didn't see fit to continue the series with the subsequent books. Extremely frustrating. Why ever did they not finish what they had started?
on 14 December 2013
Loved the books but slightly disappointed that so much of the original story was edited out and of course we do need to finish the story. Some of that missing detail would have added so much to my enjoyment of the DVD. Nevertheless, this is one to wallow in. Enjoy!
on 9 December 2010
Very good. Having read all four books in the series, the filmed version seemed rather cropped. Surprised produced in US - gives good background to wartime life for this upper-middle-class English family. Recommended.
Like other reviewers I read before purchase, I wish the series had continued to cover all the books. The casting was perfect and no anachronisms such as can be heard in Downton Abbey, and the atmosphere of just pre-war and wartime is captured beautifully.
on 27 January 2016
This may not be a bad adaptation of the books, but, for those who have not read them, it would have been preferable for the individual characters and their relationships to one another to have been established, so that the viewer knew easily who was who.
on 9 March 2011
I read all the Cazalet books many years ago and adored them. It was a superb dramatisation and I've been trying to get hold of a DVD of the series for so long (I was asked to play a nightclub singer in one of the scenes; I'm the brunette in the bright pink dress singing "Just One of Those Things"!) - When are they going to bring it out in the European format? There'd be a huge market for it, think of the popularity of Downton Abbey etc.
I suppose I'll have to resign myself to buying a multi region player: more expense.....
on 2 April 2013
I was searching for this as I've been desperately wanting to see it again (a fabulous series!) and on the off chance found it on Amazon! I am absolutely delighted it has finally arrived on region 2... now just please make it a bit cheaper! Many thanks in advance :)
on 20 January 2016
The books were brilliant and so was the DVD. Heartbroken to learn they did not complete the series! Think this gives Downton a run for it's money!
Come on dear old BEEB give us more! Amazon keep us alerted!