5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful adaptation
I thought this was a lovely adaptation, very well cast and beautifully set. I was prompted to try and find it by the recent Radio 4 audio version of the Cazalet Chronicles. I nearly didn't buy it when I read the remarks about Dutch sub titles but they were very easy to turn off. As others have said, it is a great pity that the BBC did not continue the adaptation beyond...
Published 11 months ago by Mrs Elizabeth Gill

1.0 out of 5 stars Sub titles in the wrong language!
I have a hearing problem and sub titles are very necessary to me. It seems extraordinary that DVDs sold in England should have Danish sub titles. I shall be seeking to return this product.
Published 2 months ago by Mr. A. G. WILSON

4.0 out of 5 stars Good British costume drama., 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: 2 DVD Box The Cazalets - Elizabeth Jane Howard - Region 2 - English Audio (DVD)
Although this is a Dutch copy of the series I found the subtitles easy to remove. So far only watched two episodes but really enjoying it. It took a little while to get my head round all the characters as they all appeared to be introduced within the first 10 minutes of episode one. Watch out for a very young Victor and Flavia off Strictly dancing in the background of the 1938 new year party.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dvd, 22 Jun 2014
I loved reading the cazalets chronicles and very much enjoyed the series. Watched it originally when it aired on bbc and brought back some great memories. Thanks

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but ends too soon., 20 Jun 2014
So sad that the BBC decided not to continue the Cazalet saga, this two disc set only goes so far with the story. Lovely to watch though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Catching up on the Cazalets, 22 April 2014
Mrs. Helen V. Churms (New Malden, Surrey) - See all my reviews
Remembering how much I had enjoyed, some years ago, Elizabeth Jane Howard's books on the Cazalets, I ordered the new one, "All Change", written many years later. I noticed that I could remind myself of the previous stories on the 2 DVD Box Set and ordered them. What a treat! As far as I could remember most of the first three books were pretty faithfully portrayed in these DVDs and I really enjoyed them. Returning to the world of this family was like meeting old friends and the production was really entertaining. One word of warning, though. I sent the first set back because the picture froze and nothing I did would change the problem. A second set came and the same thing happened at the same point. My husband managed to link the frozen DVD to his laptop and play the rest of that DVD, through the laptop, onto the TV, albeit with a very small screen! Apparently not all DVDs are compatible with our player. On the good side, I felt the production was so enjoyable that I put up with the inconvenience! Please, please, television producers, could the rest of the story be made into another one or two DVDs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 3 April 2014
I think it's the actual story that I found dull and slow moving. These DVDs are of a series that was shown on TV. I'd not realised ......and had expected a film. I have read the first book in the series but that hardly featured. I was disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but such a shame it ends before the end, 2 April 2014
Beautifully cast, and the pre-war costumes and sets are extraordinarily well done. Now that the 5th book is out, perhaps there's a commissioning editor out there who could get a 2nd series made, to see the story through to the end. And why is this never repeated on TV? Dutch subtitles turn off with an obvious button (for non-Dutch speakers, "uit" is the command to highlight).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Mar 2014
One of my favourite authors, so pleased to have the dvd . The actors are very similar to how I portrayed the characters in the books myself. Very enjoyable, hours of happiness watching this dvd.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Cazalets, 26 Mar 2014
Enjoyed the film ,characters well chosen to parts. Would have liked to have seen film of all the books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film - great cast too!, 25 Jan 2014
This is a really lovely story and the casting is very good indeed - lots of familiar actors, from Hugh Boneville (Downton Abbey) to Joanna Page (Gavin & Stacey). My only criticism is that the end is so abrupt - it feels as though the BBC had intended to complete the dramatisation of the books at a later stage - and it is such a pity that they didn't when these 6 episodes are so beautifully crafted.

I have no idea why people are having a hissy fit about the subtitles - it is really very simple to turn them off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family life before and during WW2, 19 Jan 2014
Highly recommended to anyone interested in daily family life during the 1930's and 1940,s. Written from the authors own experience.