5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for your everyday needs!
Published 18 months ago by baboooon

3.0 out of 5 stars THIS MIGHT NOT BE THE ONE
Published 11 months ago by The Customer is not always right

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for your everyday needs!, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX S3500 Compact Digital Camera - Red (20.1MP, 7x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD (Electronics)
Initially I was skeptical because of the average reviews. Glad I took to plunge and bought this great little camera. I'm no technology expert but it fulfils my needs of taking good quality pictures with ease. The pictures are sharp, great with motion and the flash works extremely well (something my previous camera did not live up to). The little features like 'selective colour' are fun and make your pictures that bit more creative. Can't recommend this camera enough!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quicker than I expected, 12 Jan 2014
The one thing that gave me cause for concern about buying this camera was the allegedly very slow time to save a picture, up to six seconds. For me it appears to be more like two seconds. I use a Sandisk Ultra SDHC 16 Gb (class 10 ) memory chip. I don't know whether Nikon has recently improved the specification. I would be interested in the recent experience of others.

Otherwise pretty much as expected.

I doubt I will use the 'in camera' picture modification facility, which seems trivial. I have changed the default focus system though if you mostly photograph people you may wish to keep face recognition. The zoom lens is pretty good. As ever, don't bother with digital zoom. If full optical zoom is not enough you can always crop the picture later. I intend to buy the cheapo Amazon camera bag that fits on my belt, as I find the hard case advertised for this camera a bit inconvenient, and the carabiner that comes with it is the sort that can easily come open.

I have a decent SLR but have bought this compact on the basis that the SLR is too heavy to carry around on every trip, and the best camera is the one you have with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Present for a Pensioner, 13 Jan 2014
I bought this for my dad, who is in his 70's and absolutely useless with any form of technology. He has trouble using his mobile phone, is unable/unwlling to use a computer. It was his request for a camera, despite having one on his mobile. I was very hesitant to get something he wouldn't use, so I did a lot of research.
He loves the big screen on the back ( the research said a min of 2.5 for pensioners, this is 2.7). He got the hang of taking photos and zooming in and out himself, very easy.
He can also view his photos back, after a few lessons.
The only tricky bit may be the charging, but that doesn't happen too often.
So overall, I would say this camera is very easy to use. The buttons are a reasonable size and easy to understand. It does have some very good extra abilities, so isn't a basic model by far. The image quality is also excellent. I may have to borrow it off him for my next holiday :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent styling and good specification, 18 May 2013
Mart (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The Coolpix S3500 is an update of the previous models Nikon COOLPIX S3300 Compact Digital Camera - Black (16MP, 6x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD and Nikon COOLPIX S3100 Compact Digital Camera - Black (14MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD and the S2750 and S2700. All of these cameras are near identical in body styling, and fairly similar in terms of specification and features.

The main difference being a slightly longer optical zoom with the S3500 at 7X, and a whopping 20.1 megapixel resolution.

There are also some nifty in-camera editing tools with this S3500, like glamour retouch (brighten faces, hide eye bags, whiten teeth and redden cheeks), selective colour (converts your image to monochrome and then adds a splash of colour to the area of your choice) and cross screen which adds a starry effect to bright objects.

Screen size is the standard Coolpix S series 2.7inch, and the back button layout the same as the other models. Power is by the standard lithium EN-EL 19.

Body style and size is pretty much the same as its predecessors, although I find the S3100 is the sleeker of the range. It's only a few millimetres but definitely noticeable when comparing true pocket sized cameras like these.

For quick reference I've summarised the main specifications of the range:

Model 2700 2750 3100 3300 3500

Blue Y N Y Y N
Yellow N N Y N N
Green N N N Y N
Gold N N N Y N

In summary, all models in the range will serve as excellent every day point and shoot cameras giving good results in most situations. Differences in zoom, megapixels and body size and colour are the main factors for consideration.

3.0 out of 5 stars THIS MIGHT NOT BE THE ONE, 7 Dec 2013
Prices fluctuate; priced at £82.45 when I purchased it. Ok lets do the negative first: The processor in this camera is slow. This camera is packed with features and the zoom and MP were what caught my eye. Sadly though it cannot process pictures with any amount of speed. This means that there is a distinct pause in the time you press the shutter and the photo actually being captured. There after the longest pause I had from capture to being ready for the next shot was 8 seconds (yes my frustration lead me to actually time it). This can be really frustrating in trying to "capture" those shots as what you see is not what you get. The other reviews speak true it is a good camera for everyday use, but it will let you down on the pause. Also I tried to mitigate this by finding the snap shot function, but this camera has not got it. As I said packed with features, but only a few of them are relevant to "everyday use requirements". So you may save a few pounds, but you may disappointed. You cannot capture fireworks, even with the fireworks setting. Kids and sports are always blurred and captured late.

It's not all bad, the camera does capture good still shots and the features it comes with are vast for such a small inexpensive unit. The zoom is also really good for a point and shoot.

Summary:
Bad:
Shutter speed
Processor Speed
Some features over sell themselves

Good:
Zoom and MP
Packed with features
Video
Nikon quality
Price

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely good value, 22 Dec 2013
Mr. E. Mercer (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
It would have been nice if it was capable of transferring by wifi like other camera do. Build quality is really good but it feels too small in the hand

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Snapper, 20 Dec 2013
Mrs. V. J. Duke (West Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I saw this camera whilst shopping in a well known supermarket. I was very interested in it because of the price and the amount of MP that you get, and also my current camera was a bit bulky and I wanted a put it in your pocket for that amazing photo that you could have missed. As it was coming up to my birthday my husband said he would buy it me for my birthday.

OK so I've had the camera 5 weeks now and all I can say is if you want a point and shoot camera this is it, lovely and compact. I had to set up a few of the options like setting the image mode to 20m* which makes sure that the camera uses all available pixels, but this was no big deal as you normally have to set everything up first. I would say that the manual isn't too helpful just mentions the functions etc and not settings but I just messed around with all menus to see what functions I have.

I very much like the in camera editing but if you want to use this save all the images first onto another device, as it overwrites the original image once you enhance it and puts it to the end of all current photos taken. It will also come up when you review your photos "file contains no image data" which will be the ones that you have changed. This option is very good if you have taken a snow scene and the image looks all grey it warms the colours slightly and improves the picture.

So for those of you out there who like photography including myself but don't take it too seriously and want a camera that has a quick shooting action and a good result then this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very compact high performing camera., 3 May 2013
I like this camera very much because it is very small, thin and light and fits easily in my shirt pocket, enabling me to always carry my camera with me. It would easily fit in a small lady's handbag, taking up minimal amount of space. The specification is high for a small camera with a 7x zoom and 20 megapixel sensor. The camera takes pleasing photographs with good brightness and good colour accuracy and saturation. I have photographed plants, trees, flowers and people and have not had a bad photograph. The flower colours were accurate and pleasing. Photographs of people come out well because a nice photograph is obtained without showing skin imperfections. It is a good camera for taking complimentary photographs of girls' faces. I have bought several of these little Nikon cameras (Coolpix S3100, Coolpix S3300 and Coolpix S3500) and given them as Christmas and Birthday presents and all recipients have reported that they are very pleased with the good performance of these little cameras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Camera, 5 Aug 2013
We bought this camera to take on holiday as we found that our large SLR spent most of the time in the hotel room as we found it too big to carry. I am delighted with this Nikon, the picture quality is superb and it fits in the smallest of pockets. The video is also excellent. We used it every day and it only need charging once. I bought a 32gb card to go with it and that allows over 5,000 photos to be stored at the highest quality settings. Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sylphlike Stunner, 3 Feb 2014
GelS (Walton-on-Thames, Surrey) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera as a surprise Christmas present for my wife to have as a 'go-anywhere' addition to her Nikon D90 SLR. This was because I'd picked up a used Sony compact digital camera at a reasonable (though more than the S3500) price in a local shop, finding the ability to pop the camera in my jeans pocket really useful. The Sony has a 14.1MP sensor, but a poor low-light ability. All the reviews I read on the S3500 seemed positive, so I bit the bullet and clicked the mouse.

First time out after Christmas was to the London Wetlands Centre at Barnes, where the compact camera proved easy to use and produced some very interesting effects as my wife used the different editing options.

I took a few shots that compared really well with my own Nikon Coolpix P510 - better on the background bokeh(blurring) that so many small sensor cameras struggle with. Tiny as the camera is, I found it easy to hold and use, though my wife says I have a lot of experience at photography using the rear screen (I always use the viewfinder on the P510).

Photos are over 8MB, as crisp and colour-true as you could ask for, the Vibration Reduction clearly (pun intended) working really well. To sum up; if I were looking for a compact camera, which I can't really justify, I'd have no hesitation in choosing the S3500. The Nikon menu gives loads of control over advanced shooting options and is truly intuitive to use. I chose the black one to avoid the garish colour options and it looks good. Battery life promises to be satisfactory as well. For the price it's amazing.