Style Name: DVD Player|Change

on 30 July 2013
This is a good basic machine,small and light.
I was surprised that even after taking a dvd out and putting it back in the next day it will continue playing from where it left off!!
Thats great for watching the rest of the disc but I found this a bit annoying after awhile until I realised that to get it back to the beginning just press the stop button twice.
Be warned though this is region 2 only.....I've looked everywhere on the web and this model is unhackable.
I thought I would find a code as I did for my Toshiba player but there isn't any:(

It's my fault for not spending the extra £10 and getting the multi region model.

Here is the amazon link for the multi region one which as of July 30th 2013 is £36.99

Sony DVPSR170 DVD Player MultiRegion

Hope that helps.
88 comments|172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 October 2013
Bought for my mum who needed a simple but reliable DVD player. Small compact and perfectly adequate and great price.
on 28 February 2015
This is the noisiest dvd player I have ever had.

I know you 'get what you pay for' and this is a cheap dvd player, but the motor is far too noisy. I have returned it and will choose a different one.
on 5 December 2014
Brilliant little machine.
I have only had it for a couple of days but so far have watched part of a region 2 box set, played a music CD, watched photographs burned on to a DVD-R and watched a DVD RW disc on to which I burned a project which showed photographs with transitions and music added to it.
The biggest bonus of all is being able to put the DVD in and start from where it left off. My old player did not do this and it was a pain trying to remember where I left off. For £25 it does all the basic functions I need. OK, so no multi region playback but that I can live without as the player is only used occasionally - and it is small and compact. Recommend it highly.
on 2 July 2015
Had this DVD player for 6 months and it has packed in on us. It stated with skipping during a film or freezing for a few minutes, now it tells us that the disc cannot play because it is dirty, we have tried several discs, some brand new and non will work.
on 18 December 2015
The Best Little dvd player i have ever purchased.I admit i was a little Dubious when buying this dvd player.But i needed something small and cheap to put in the boys room for playing their assorted dvds.So i took the chance.It has not stopped playing since.Startup is quick,about 5-10 seconds.Picture resolution is really Excellent.Sound is also excellent.The last dvd player sent a poor sound quality through the tv.Im using the same scart leads,Yet the quality all round is far Superior.Its compact,so very handy in small spaces.It also looks surprisingly well made and nicely designed.It has great replay,save the last dvd play times etc features.fast forward,reverse,etc,etc,Excellent value for money.Plus it's a sony.So hopefully it will take a lot of beating,hard work etc.(young boys room)nd i will get a few years from it.Excellent 5***********
on 21 June 2013
Excellent budget machine. No frills and quite tiny too, so suitable for a bedroom to add to an existing TV. Recommended!
on 21 July 2013
Fast delivery, excellent DVD player with a great picture and lots of different features. Would definitely recommend - a really good buy!
on 13 November 2015
Awful. It worked fine for a few months and then started giving the message "Disc is dirty". I cleaned the disc and reinserted it each time and for a while this worked. But suddenly it stopped working all together and the same message appeared for all the different DVDs I insert, even new ones I have just bought.
I have since found that this is a known problem with many Sony DVDs and the only option is to buy a new DVD player.
on 6 March 2015
I bought this DVD player along with a SCART/RCA cable, outlet adapter, and electrical US/UK transformer so my mother-in-law, who fell in love with Mrs. Brown's Boys could watch it in the US, since it isn't available here, nor can we buy the UK version to watch here. This set-up works great! It was easy to figure out how to set it up. The DVD player is great quality for the price.