4.0 out of 5 stars Good But Not Hackable!!! Region 2 Only!!
This is a good basic machine,small and light.
I was surprised that even after taking a dvd out and putting it back in the next day it will continue playing from where it left off!!
Thats great for watching the rest of the disc but I found this a bit annoying after awhile until I realised that to get it back to the beginning just press the stop button twice...
Published 20 months ago by Haniel

2.0 out of 5 stars Noisy
Easy to set up but when I put dvd in it started whirring like it was getting ready for takeoff and the noise continued until I ejected the dvd. Not really suited to a bedroom but noise may not be so noticeable in living room.
Published 20 months ago by JJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Good But Not Hackable!!! Region 2 Only!!, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Sony DVPSR170 DVD Player (New for 2013) (Electronics)
This is a good basic machine,small and light.
Be warned though this is region 2 only.....I've looked everywhere on the web and this model is unhackable.
I thought I would find a code as I did for my Toshiba player but there isn't any:(

It's my fault for not spending the extra £10 and getting the multi region model.

Here is the amazon link for the multi region one which as of July 30th 2013 is £36.99

Sony DVPSR170 DVD Player MultiRegion

Hope that helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Did what it said on the tin, 12 Oct. 2013
J. Sumner (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony DVPSR170 DVD Player (New for 2013) (Electronics)
Bought for my mum who needed a simple but reliable DVD player. Small compact and perfectly adequate and great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant (if you can overcome only having a SCART output), 14 Feb. 2015
R. F. Hawkins - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony DVPSR170 DVD Player (New for 2013) (Electronics)
So why would anyone buy a “used” CD/DVD machine with write capability when it’s only £25? It has to be rubbish doesn't it? Well, it’s anything but! I only wanted a CD player, to play CDs without having to resort to turning on either my PC or the Sony DVD player wired into my TV system. So I chucked £25 at this and thought at least I could return it if it was rubbish, damaged or didn’t work. Well, it’s really great, but one word of warning, the ONLY output is via a SCART connection. I overcame this by purchasing an adapter to give me two phono (audio, left & right channel) outputs, a few pounds from Cables4less and it arrived next day in the post.
This is a really great little (very little!) piece of kit albeit I've no idea how it performs either with DVDs or as a disc burning device as I never intended to use any of those options. I think many returned these because of the restricted output options (SCART only). My latest Sony TV doesn’t even have a SCART input!
This is a gem of a machine for what it does and for what I paid. It had clearly never been taken out of the box, never mind “used”. Thank you, Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant machine, 5 Dec. 2014
Brilliant little machine.
I have only had it for a couple of days but so far have watched part of a region 2 box set, played a music CD, watched photographs burned on to a DVD-R and watched a DVD RW disc on to which I burned a project which showed photographs with transitions and music added to it.
The biggest bonus of all is being able to put the DVD in and start from where it left off. My old player did not do this and it was a pain trying to remember where I left off. For £25 it does all the basic functions I need. OK, so no multi region playback but that I can live without as the player is only used occasionally - and it is small and compact. Recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Budget Buy, 21 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Sony DVPSR170 DVD Player (New for 2013) (Electronics)
Excellent budget machine. No frills and quite tiny too, so suitable for a bedroom to add to an existing TV. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Sony DVPSR170 DVD Player (New for 2013) (Electronics)
Fast delivery, excellent DVD player with a great picture and lots of different features. Would definitely recommend - a really good buy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Noisy, 6 Aug. 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Sony DVPSR170 DVD Player (New for 2013) (Electronics)
The first two days it worked fine, with the exception of it controlling the volume on the remote which was highlighted as part of the quality.
Then it started to skip ever so slightly every five min or so. Not my DVD s as I tried several and they all were the same.

In addition it's quite noisy .

Will be returning, disappointing for a Sony product

5.0 out of 5 stars who fell in love with Mrs, 6 Mar. 2015
Lisa J. Weinberg "book geek" (Atlanta, Georgia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony DVPSR170 DVD Player (New for 2013) (Electronics)
I bought this DVD player along with a SCART/RCA cable, outlet adapter, and electrical US/UK transformer so my mother-in-law, who fell in love with Mrs. Brown's Boys could watch it in the US, since it isn't available here, nor can we buy the UK version to watch here. This set-up works great! It was easy to figure out how to set it up. The DVD player is great quality for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic, affordable and right on time., 9 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Sony DVPSR170 DVD Player (New for 2013) (Electronics)
We currently cannot watch TV via the aerial in our new bedroom as we haven't got a lead long enough, so in the short term (and to make sure we can waste those wintery Saturday / Sunday mornings lying in bed), we wanted an affordable DVD player, that would arrive quickly.

I signed up to Amazon Prime Free Trial so this arrived the next day. Small in size it is extremely simple to use. It is a basic DVD player that requires a SCART cable (not included) to set up. There is a slight whirring noise that can be heard when a DVD is playing, but we just upped the volume when watching the film to overcome this.

This is not a fancy DVD player by any means, but it does exactly what we wanted it to for £25, so no complaints here.

Sony DVPSR170 DVD Player (New for 2013)