on 19 September 2013
So far I've played 7 Hours of this game, and every second has been an nostalgic joy.
Admittedly I hadn't completed the game before, so there's a lot more than cheerful nostalgia going here. Why so?

1) Everything from the music to the gameplay and cutscene visuals are gorgeously luscious and sharp. (Absolutely loved the cutscene at the beginning +the music is crystal clear)

2) It's Intimate story personally keeps you engaged with Sora's story. RPG elements are fun, untedious and different worlds are detailed and diverse.

3) Gameplay overall is simple, yet addictive and fun. Playing it on proud mode though is quite a challenge, though putting through the effort is gratifying.

Criticisms: Most of these can be overlooked. People complain about the camera, I can see why, - instead of problematic I would class it as a challenge being unable to look behind you in the middle of a fight in a first person kind of way. Some World environments can look outdated and the Gummi ship definitley is. I hardly care, I'm appreciating everything else too much not too. They are minor and very easy to ignore.

Overall I rate this game as outstanding, reason why I bought it over GTA 5 was for the story. If your new to the series, I suggest you get on the ride to see what it's all about, you won't regret it. Be prepared for an emotional journey. For those familiar, this is a definite must buy! I'd say it's worth the price, but if you wish to wait do so, as long as you buy it ( It's gonna be a long wait till KH3). I'm urgently waiting for 2.5 to come out and I hope It come out much more crisper and surprising than it's predecessor. Personally I hope they put in Dream drop distance in there, I dont care for coded, cut scenes shall suffice for it. Otherwise we ps3 users will always be missing that KH3 prequel.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 20 September 2014
As a huge fan of the series since the first game, I picked this up on release. These three aren't the best games in the series, but that's all relative in a game series that is so consistently good.

Firstly, Kingdom Hearts Final Mix. This has so much nostalgic value for me, but is still a great game in its own right, beginning the journey of Sora through the worlds of Disney. The HD looks brilliant when compared to the original, including new face models for Sora and Ansem to match their later appearances, while the Final Mix features are fairly modest - mainly two new cutscenes featuring Riku and a secret boss battle against (SPOILERS) Kingdom Hearts II's villain Xemnas. A must play for fans of the series or people who want to try it for the first time.

Next we have Re:Chain of Memories, which takes place immediately after the first game (including the fastest puberty in gaming history). It is the worst game in the series due to its card based combat, but that's just my opinion - I know many people who love it because it adds more strategy to the boss fights. Nevertheless, the story is great and sets up Kingdom Hearts II nicely, although it only features two new worlds, with the game mostly being set in illusions of previously seen worlds. Still, great game, just not as good as the rest of the series.

Finally, 358/2 Days, also set between the first two main games, tells the story of Roxas, who works for Organisation 13? However, this is only cutscenes that don't really tell the whole story.We get no battles and don't see any of the smaller things that set up the second game. However, we get the basics of the best character driven story in the series, which is genuinely heartbreaking at the end, and it also gives more meaning to the prologue of Kingdom Hearts 2. Still definitely worth a watch.

I believe that 2.5 will be better, it has a better selection of games for starters, but this is still a must buy for those who want to get into the series or older fans - like myself - who want to see our most beloved games brought into the 7th generation
on 9 September 2014
KH: 1.5

The game looks absolutely gorgeous in HD I was completely blown away when I began playing this game.
I have played other HD collections such as Zone of the Enders, MGS, Dragon Ball Budokai collection and Devil May Cry.
And out of all these hd remakes, I have to say this is by far the one that comes packed with the biggest punch.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is not just an HD upscale, it is the "remix" version that was exclusive to Japan which features a few cutscenes but with no voice acting, mainly because those cutscenes were finished long after the game was released.

Some of the enemies have different colors which is a bit wierd and honestly changes nothing, but the greater contribution to this game would in my opinion be that of "Beginner Mode" which is an addition that comes with "Remix" only.
Beginner Mode has the enemies deal half as much damage to you, and gives you some rare items from the very beginning.
One EXP chain that gives you 30 % extra experience from enemies = faster levelling
One resistance necklace that makes elemental damage hit you for 20 % less damage.

On top of this you get some extra abilities and combos that were not featured in the original game, most of them are effective, but not gamebreaking.
Your companions bonus abilities however are very good.
"Last chance" and "fallen leaf" are two in particular, one causes your allies to ressurect with full HP and MP after a set amount of time, and the other prevents "cure" from getting interrupted which is very useful.

The biggest thing you get with this game in particular in the HD collection however, is actually not related to the "remix" it is part of the HD experience, because this game was already gorgeous, but they have managed to upscale the entire thing.
Userinterface no longer takes up as much of the screen as it used to and the game can rival that of a PS3 title in terms of aesthetics in my opinion.

Chain of Memories:

This was originally a Gameboy Advance title that was remade into a Playstation 2 game in Japan only, it is now for the first time available to the rest of the world, with the full original english cast that was featured in Kingdom Hearts 2.
The game too looks gorgeous, but is nowhere near the standards of Kingdom Hearts Remix.
The gameplay itself is very tough until you learn to manage the "sleight" system which is absolutely vital around the end of the game since the enemies will become brutally difficult without them.

I feel it's important to mention that this game features voice acting! Which is not at all a given, considering the game used to be a gameboy advance title.

When you complete this game you get the chance to play from Riku's perspective, which is largely just a second playthrough, but with a different character, although you fight different bosses inbetween story sections, and the playthrough features original cutscenes unique to Riku's story. In other words, it is a second game within the game.
Riku's playthrough is easier because you get advantages such as a preset deck (which is very powerful) special abilities and instant reload of your deck ( don't worry this will make sense when you play the game) and to be honest, it is actually the more entertaining part of the game, so I highly recommend you play through the game to play as Riku, because it's a lot of fun, and to you fans out there, it actually fills some gaps in the story that you would otherwise not get to see, so seriously, don't skip out on his playthrough.

I did not enjoy this game quite as much as the original kingdom hearts though, mainly because of its tedious "card" system, which I found too formulaic and preset, but nontheless the game is actually good, however much more difficult.

KH: 358/2 days

This is by far the biggest lackluster in the package, but for diehard fans it's a treat.
First of all it's not a game, it is all the cutscenes from the original Nintendo DS title with the same name which was in fact a full game, I played this myself on its original platform.
A bit of a shame, because the game is actually really good, and I would by far have preferred to have this remade into a complete game rather than Chain of Memories, but CoM was already made into a full console game way before this collection so it was to be expected.

The story begins shortly after the first moments of Chain of Memories and ends at the exact moment Kingdom Hearts 2 begins which is NOT featured in this collection, it will however be featured in the next HD collection (and final) so don't worry.

I was trying to watch this as a movie, which it is most definitely most suitable for, but it just didn't work, because the cutscenes are much too stale to be viewed as a movie in its right. Along with the game on the side it works just perfectly, 358/2 days is actually a 30 hour + game, so how do they solve this issue ? all the stuff you miss out on directly from the gameplay has been converted into a small passage you will be reading inbetween cutscenes to connect everything so that it makes sense to someone who is strictly watching rather than playing the original game.
It works, in a sense that the story is cohesive, but it is boring to watch unfortunately.
nearly 2 hours of three friends eating icecream does not make for great entertainment Square Enix, sorry to tell you.

Apart from this, you have a collection of the diary of Roxas (the main character of the game) which you would have to collect in the original game, so that's nice I suppose.
Once you have watched the entire thing you unlock "secret diaries" which are journals kept by the various members of the organization, but the author of each entry has been left out so you are left to guessing your way around who wrote it, which as a fan isn't hard at all.

Again, this one is the lackluster of the collection, but as a fan you will find this to be a treat. I consider myself a diehard fan of the franchise, the only title I have yet to play are Birth by sleep and Recoded, both of which will be featured in the next and final collection of this franchise, so cheers to that.

This collection is an absolute must-own as a fan of the series, and if you have yet to play Chain of Memories and 358/2 days, this is definitely worth it for those titles alone, but the main game looks so crisp and beautiful in HD and upscaled, that you owe it to yourself to check it out.
on 30 March 2014
Having not played Kingdom Hearts in something like 5 years, I was delighted to see it had been rereleased in HD for PS3. The second I began playing it, it felt just right again. The game has a silly premise, mixing final fantasy characters with Disney characters, and the story and main characters are also suitably juvenile, but there's something very heartwarming and fun about this game.

The first time I played it, I hadn't watched a Disney movie in years, and seeing all the great characters come back in an interactive way gave me a great connection to my childhood, that link still remains some 7 years later. It also helps that this game is a really good game as well, the gameplay is fun, if sometimes repetitive, the abilities and magic and summons all work very well and provide room for tactical gameplay. The production values are also high, there are, to my knowledge, no glitches in this game. Not even rendering or clipping issues, everything just works as it should.

The pitfalls have also been removed from the first one, so if you missed one of the collectibles, you can always go back and get it. It's also a pleasure to see more enemies and abilities introduced, providing more activities in the game, and different tactics to use, all of these were welcome additions. And finally the timing of the game is pretty much perfect, it doesn't drag on too long, but doesn't feel too short either. There are plenty of extra missions and bosses to complete, but not so many that completing side activities becomes a drag, or distraction from the main game.

All in all this is a very well made game, that contains all your favourite disney and final fantasy characters in a simple, but overall very enjoyable game. Recommended.
on 4 November 2013
Years ago when I first saw the adverts I had mixed feelings about the first Kingdom Hearts. The reason? This is Disney working with Square Enix! That's the only reason is this weird mix of companies, well known for different kinds of games and working together and this combo creates a unbeatable series!

You travel the worlds with your friends (most of the worlds being Disney based such as Tarzan world, Wonderland, Halloween town and so on) to defeat the Heartless, creatures that are born of the darkness and seek out those who are tempted by evil and feed on those still with hearts. This game also had many of the cast from the different films of the worlds you visit and with the writing from the Square Enix crew, you know this is going to be a blast.

However, all that is the first game, I have played chain of memories on the DS (this one has been re-done into HD, same game mechanic though and there's another game on there I've never tried. I can't say what I feel about those two yet as I haven't completed them, but they were lead ups to the sequel and I hope KH 2.5 is released on the PS3 too as I don't see myself getting a PS4 unless I come across a source of oil or a cave lined with gold on my land.

They did one or two tweeks to the origonal one. Adding the triangle ability that only appeared in KH2, giving you missions to be completed for rewards and achievements for piloting from one area to another in the gummi ship and adding a few extra abilities that weren't in the first game from what I can tell.
on 17 February 2014
I've always wanted to replay the kingdom hearts series but my ps2 broke time ago. now I can first of all you get kingdom hearts 1 final mix which never came out in Europe I've always wanted to play this one as there are more secret cut scenes which weren't in the original and extra features that was in the final mix version only. 1080p quality makes this game look perfect any KH fan would agree. second game you get with this is Kingdom hearts 358/2 days which you can not play rather its just cut scenes lots of them more like a movie even doh you cant play it I would suggest you watch them as its a vital an fun part of the kingdom hearts storyline. and lastly you get Kingdom hearts Re:Chain of memories which originally came out on the Gameboy advance, the gameplay style is very different to the first game harder to get use to but if you master it you wont find much challenge its the way you fight requires thinking. in the end its 2 games plus a short movie in one you really cant be disappointed.
on 29 September 2013
Kingdom Hearts 2 was the first KH game I played and it was instantly my favorite game, but when I bought KH1 I didn't like the gameplay compared to number 2 so I didn't complete much of it. Kingdom Hearts 1.5, however, is absolutely amazing and addictive. The gameplay for Final Mix has definitely improved, the graphics are very well done, and the story/characters are as amazing as ever. When I first started Re. Chain of Memories I was a bit skeptical at first, but after a little getting used to the game, it really has turned out to be an interesting way to play KH and the story is excellent like all of the KH games. I haven't yet gone on to watch 358/2 days yet but I've heard it isn't something you'd want to miss. I'm really excited for the hopeful release of KH 2.5 remix and then KH 3 which is going to be outstanding. (I hope that they make a Birth By Sleep game for the ps3 though to complete the series on that console)So all in all it is an excellent buy and I'd recommend it for anyone
on 21 October 2013
I choose this rating because this game combines the essentials of the beginning the series of Kingdom Hearts specially if someone wants to start to play it now (new beginners).
I have to say i'm fan of the Kingdom Hearts series, the story is original involving not only Square Enix as also Disney two major company's in fantasy world's, and i have to add its good way too let everyone interest in this series, new or old players to the upcoming of the maybe final game to complete this series.
I would recommend this game to anyone that likes a little of everything specially if they have already experience any type of game realized by the company Square Enix, i would add to also recommend to the RPG gamers.
on 9 July 2014
What was originally a brilliant game has now been updated and with the upgrade in the graphics it is now one of the finest titles out there. The designers have managed to re-render the graphics in such a fashion that even on a large modern HD TV, it still leaves you mesmerised with the sheer beauty of the game engine. Add to that the great story, fabulous characterisation and attention to detail across all the worlds, giving this game 5 stars seems almost to underrate it.... Later this year will be Kingdom Hearts 2.5, which I will be buying the instant it becomes available and roll on 2015 when at long last, KH 3 will come along.
on 19 September 2013
Its hard to believe this series is 10+ years old but Kingdom Hearts is showing to be one of those timeless games that will continue to entertain the masses for eons to come. The HD rendering really showcases the beauty of the Disney worlds and the gameplay, although significantly untouched, can still be relevant in 2013.

Considering the price of the game, and added additional content of COM and Days, its absolute BARGAIN. Anyone who hasn't played the series will definitely be getting the bang for their buck.

Hopefully this set's up nicely for a release of 2.5 next year and Kingdom Hearts 3 in 2015 ( I presume ).