5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable
Published 19 months ago by MrsAnn3

3.0 out of 5 stars Morocco-was a rough guide...
Published 14 months ago by S J Austin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Morocco-was a rough guide..., 25 Sep 2013
We used this book extensively, had 3 weeks and travelled from Marrakesh-Rabat-Larache-Chefchaouen-Al hoecima-Nador. Although I realise the book is probably based on last summers prices?! Alot of the room prices were way out; as in listed cheaper and the descriptions were too kind! Travelling to and from, places, info was subject to a lot of leeway as well as dates and times being incorrect. But on the main the info about places to visit, sites of interest was generally very informative. I usually prefer Rough Guide to the opposition but would be interested to do a comparrison with this particular country's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 27 April 2013
Excellent guide. Really helped us get the most out of our stay in Morocco with good background on history, flora and fauna and culture. Especially interesting on Berber culture. We found the accomodation recommendations very helpful. We could have done with a better map as we travelled extensively and road maps are not a strong point in Morocco. The suggested walks were first class, especially in the Atlas Mountains and the south and the pointers to off the track sights were very helpful. We often were the only people there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing new edition - but I would not travel without it!, 15 Jun 2013
I have explored Morocco many times using the previous edition of the Rough Guide. The new 2013 edition is a disappointment.

The maps, although slightly bigger, have smaller print against darker backgrounds and I therefore find it almost impossible to read the place-names. Also, the maps are still distributed throughout the book so you don't know where to find them, or even that there is a map of a particular area. All the maps need to be bigger, plainer, and in one section.

The only improvement is that hotel prices are now quoted as an actual price, rather than by means of a code. However, many good medium-priced hotels, which luckily I found from previous editions, have been omitted. Some of the cheap hotels listed and described as good, are actually dire.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not for hotels or eating, 5 July 2014
Very helpful book. We had booked a flight to Rabat and 1 week car hire. The Rough Guide helped us to plan a very interesting road trip - both where to go and what to do when we got there. Accommodation and eating are now old hat with print editions - some were no longer there or not very good. Trip Advisor and Bookings.com have taken over this function.

3.0 out of 5 stars Essentials covered, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Morocco (Rough Guide to...) (Kindle Edition)
I had been hoping for more history. For example, who exactly built the Casbah in Tangier? And perhaps more insightful maps. I couldn't place places I had visited in Fez. What about a plan of Volubilis? Maybe this information was there, but I haven't found it yet. Would have liked more links in the Kindle version to be able to jump around a bit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, just the maps, 23 Nov 2013
D. Ellis "Bonecutter" (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
Very good book. Independant travellers doing Marrakech, Atlas, Essaouira. Paid for itself just with recommended taxi fares and advice to use Supratours busses rather than grand taxis |(not usually as grand as they sound). Found restaurant reviews accurate. Usual Rough Guide gripe (multiple users, most of the guides) that maps are spread through text, eventually get use to finding them, but prefer all at start of book or at start of each chapter. Review is for paperback edition. I downloaded sample to Kindle (Nexus 7) and whist more portable and potentially searchable (maps could possibly be bookmarked too) the ability to pass book around group still the trump card, and less clearly a 'valuable' in cafes and streets.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good general guide, 28 Aug 2014
I got this because I was going to Agadir with a friend and I wasn't able to find anything that specifically covered Agadir and the surrounding areas. Unfortunately this guide was a bit too vague at times too. However, it gaves us information about the nearby surf town and some advice on the local culture which was useful. It covered the major cities well and I plan to keep the guide in case I ever return to Morocco.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent easily readable guide, 4 Jun 2014
Easily readable. Excellent information & advice. Took the electronic version & used it all the time. Heed advice in book for women in particular to cover arms and legs in places like Fez or you will notice the disapproving looks you get.

1.0 out of 5 stars Download a pain to use. Less for travellers more for holiday makers., 23 Oct 2014
I bought the download for my smart phone. A real pain to use compared to having the book. Seems less geared to the traveller and more for the holiday person. Listed a lot of expensive hotels with only a few for the budget traveller. Arriving in a town I would often be told - "but if you have a car, you can drive 5km further on and find a lovely Riad for 100 euros"

4.0 out of 5 stars Good general information, 18 Oct 2014
Good general information . A must if going to Morocco. Best to read before you go as it informs and excites all in advance

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›