4.0 out of 5 stars A novel and history book in one
Published 5 months ago by Pauline

3.0 out of 5 stars Last train to Istanbul by Ayse Kulin
Not one of the best books I have read...in fact I gave up on it...didn't seem to be going anywhere
Published 2 months ago by singer

4.0 out of 5 stars A novel and history book in one, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: Last Train to Istanbul: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book, very much. My idea of a good fictional read is where the novel is set in a time and place of historical interest that has been thoroughly researched. This ticked all my boxes. I knew very little of Turkey's stance during the 2nd World War, and I certainly broadened my general knowledge by reading this book. It wasn't a particularly easy read at times - the pronunciation of some of the Turkish names and places (in my head) didn't come easily - but it was very thought provoking and for several days after finishing the novel I couldn't get the essence of the novel out of my mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming, 4 Nov 2013
A.G.Raynor-Krill "Garth - past-life Murmillo" (Lincoln, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Train to Istanbul: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
This is a heartwarming story of a Turkish family just before and during World War II. The daughter of a Muslim family marries a Jew and they move to France. It describes the difficulties Turkey had trying to stay neutral and the extreme kindness and dedication of consulate officials in France at that time. I think it would make a good film.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read - a bit hosseini ish!, 10 Nov 2013
This review is from: Last Train to Istanbul: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
If u enjoyed The kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Mountains Echoed then you will enjoy this. Gripping!
The train journey made my palms sweat as I willed them to get home.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Last Train to Istanbul: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Knowing nothing about Turkish culture I found this interesting. A bit slow to start, but like the train it gathered pace and the interweaving of the various chapters and stories was well done. I would recommend it - a refreshing change.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Last Train to Istanbul: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
A gripping tale of courage in the face of adversity and the overwhelming human kindness that only surfaces at times of extreme danger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 1 Nov 2013
Great
book about Turkish Jews escape from France during second world war.page turning suspense and I liked the portrayal of the different characters

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping story, 17 Nov 2013
M (Acton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Train to Istanbul: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I KNEW nothing about Turkey's involvement in getting Turkish and non-Turkish Jews out of occupied Europe. This book is informative, but written with such 'real' characters that you can't help being pulled into their lives and their destinies. Beautifully written, a joy to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pace throughout, 10 Nov 2013
This review is from: Last Train to Istanbul: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this historic piece. Interesting characters and plot combine to take you back to World War two France and Turkey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: Last Train to Istanbul: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Last train to Istanbul kept me captivated and on the edge of my seat throughout. The authors captured the despair and at times hopelessness of the characters which made me cry often! Just a wonderful story about how sometimes humans never give up hope in often seemingly impossible situations. I look forward greatly to reading another of her books translated into English.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Last Train to Istanbul: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
"Last Train to Istanbul" by Ayse Kulin is an excellent piece of historical fiction centred around the diplomatic efforts of Turkey to recall its citizens (including Jews) from Nazi occupied territories to bring them home to safety during WWII.
Written in a very engaging prose and bringing some heart breaking private dramas into the historical events this book is very informative, insightful and accomplished.
Believable and likeable characters populate a cleverly written plot, well paced and full of sparkling dialogue.
Very good.