Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 24 November 2014
After watching the first series of The 100 this year, I saw this book, as well as it's sequel in the read now section of NetGalley. As I'd enjoyed the series and I'm eagerly awaiting the second series, I thought I'd read this to tide me over.

Of course there are differences between the TV series and the book, as there always is. But some of the differences are huge and this could be why I didn't enjoy the book as much as I thought I would. However, I did find the story entertaining and interesting, although a little slow at times.

I liked how the story was told, because it alternated between three different characters on earth, and one back on the spaceship. On earth, we got to see into Clarke's thoughts and feelings about being around Wells again, after he'd betrayed her trust. We also got to see into Wells' thoughts about his reasons for betraying Clarke, and how much he still loves her. And we got an insight into the real Bellamy, not the Bellamy that everybody else sees. We see how much he loves his sister Octavia, and how he'd do anything to protect her. But it takes a trip to earth to make him realise that she's growing up, and she doesn't always need his protection.

The story from the spaceship, or the colony as it's referred to in the book, comes from Glass, a girl who was supposed to be part of The 100 sent to earth, but she managed to escape at the last minute. I liked Glass' story, because it showed what was happening back on the colony while The 100 are on earth. For me it added a certain urgency to the story, as the importance of the mission to earth becomes clear.

Although I've only given this book three stars, I did enjoy the story and I'll be reading the next two books in the series. I liked the alternating points of view, not only between the different characters, but between the different settings too. I found parts of it a little slow at times, and I've definitely read better books this year, but it made for an enjoyable read.
on 28 August 2014
After becoming a huge fan of the TV series and eagerly awaiting the second season, I decided I wanted to find out a little more about where it all started. I was already pre-warned that the book and TV show has many differences but still, I wanted to try it and I was pleasantly surprised with how enjoyable the book is.

No-one has stepped on Earth since the nuclear war that wiped everything out. The remaining humans have lived on a spaceship living their lives under rules and regulations, until the startling discovering comes that they are running out of Oxygen and if they don’t act fast and try to reduce the population, their live in space will come much sooner than any of them ever hoped.

In a bid to save everyone, one hundred children who have been locked away for breaking all kinds of rules are now being sent on a dangerous mission back to earth against their will. Their job will be to find out if Earth is liveable for the remaining society to join them. But once they reach Earth, they find that things aren’t what they’ve been lead to believe and soon they’re fighting for their survival. Can one hundred keep themselves safe while in the worse conditions?

I really enjoyed The 100. I didn’t think it was the most exciting book out there but it was certainly one I enjoyed reading. I think it definitely helped that I already felt like I knew the characters because of watching the TV show – yes, there are many differences but I enjoyed discovering the changes that were made from the book to the show.

Being narrated by four different points of view could put some people off however, I found I enjoyed it. Clarke, Wells, Bellamy and Glass were all great to get to know and reading their stories and how they grew up and about the relationships they had with others was interesting. The love connection between Bellamy and Clarke was a little strange at first, but found by the end I quite liked it. I also kind of picture Glass as Raven from the show. She was the only one I didn’t know anything about before starting but I actually really enjoyed her character. With her being on the ship, I thought we’d get more inside information to what is happening with the ship, however even though I enjoyed her story, I kind of felt it wasn’t really needed because she’s just a passenger – she doesn’t have any inside knowledge which was pretty disappointing. I’m kind of hoping that changes with the next book especially with how things were left.

I think the biggest thing from the book which ultimately stops me from being able to rate it top marks is that no a lot happens story wise until the last couple of chapter and even then it lacked the excitement that usually comes from the ending of a story. It was a little rushed if anything and I felt that it the danger was added a little earlier it would have been a little better.

In all, The 100 was an enjoyable read and I think it’s perfect for fans of the TV show as long as you’re prepared from the differences. 3.5 stars!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 September 2013
The 100 is set in a distant future where the entire human race lives on spaceship floating above the Earth. The Earth is inhabitable after a nuclear war but with resources running thin on the spaceship, the governing body are looking to return to Earth as soon as possible. Unsure whether or not Earth is still dangerously radioactive, the Chancellor decides to send 100 teenage delinquents to Earth, each with a monitoring bracelet attached to them, to see if they survive.

This story is told from the alternating perspective of four teenagers: Clarke, Wells, Bellamy and Glass. Clarke and Glass are both delinquents and so are automatically part of the group to be sent to Earth. Wells, the son of the Chancellor, is in love with Clarke and upon hearing that she will be sent to Earth, he deliberately commits a crime giving him the status of 'delinquent' as well. Bellamy on the other hand, isn't a deliquent, but his sister is. Determined to protect her, he manages to jump into the pod leaving for Earth just moments before it departs. Taking advantage of the commotion caused by Bellamy, Glass manages to escape from the pod and remains on the spaceship.

I usually hate stories that have too many alternating perspectives because there usually isn't enough depth or connection between characters but because these four stories are subtly intertwined, the story rolls seamlessly on through all four perspectives. I have to say I didn't like all of the characters in this novel but I loved reading about each and every one of them. Each character has a different personality and as you learn more and more about their pasts and what shaped them, you understand each character's decisions. There's no sort of introduction to any of the characters or the history of Earth, the reader is thrown in at the deep end and you've just gotta learn to swim. In just about every chapter there's a flashback to some past moment that helps to explain the present and although this means quite a lot of jumping back and forth, both the past and the present are woven together seamlessly so that this is barely noticeable.

I can see why The CW has created a TV adaption based on this book because there are just so many things that you could do with this story. This is not just a post-apocalyptic, sci-fi novel, but also a story of romance, friendship, family, action and humanity. This book held my attention for its entirety but for the most part I was thinking 'this is book is good, but not great'. Then, I got to the closing few chapters where I met plot twist after plot twist and it turns out that each and every character has a secret and the stories of all four characters are intrinsically linked. There are a few clues along the way which hint at the ending but there's no way that you could predict how all these little snippets and these four stories come together. There is also an even bigger plot twist which doesn't relate directly to the four characters but it has consequences for the entire human race and it changes pretty much everything about this mission to Earth and I simply cannot wait to see what happens next!

This novel is perhaps a little slow at getting started, but when it does, it is brilliant. It is the ending of this book that you will really remember as it is fast-paced and there are new plot twists being thrown at you left, right and centre. This was a great introductory novel that has paved the way for a brilliant new series with interesting characters, plot and setting. This is also quite a short read, but so much has been packed into this novel. I would highly recommend reading this book prior to watching the television series (due to air late 2013) because I don't think its plotline will stick to that of the book very well. All in all, I highly recommend this book!!
on 6 September 2014
I bought this after watching a couple of the episodes of the mini-series of the same name on TV. It's not very often that a TV version is better than the book, but in this case I'd have to say that the TV series is 100% better. In comparison, the book is absolutely rubbish! It's frustrating because it seems that both the mini series and the book were packaged around the same time, so I can't understand why there is such a big difference between them. Anyway, it was a real waste of reading time and money!
on 15 November 2014
I had been planning to read this book ever since I saw a gif of Bellamy declaring his love for Clarke in the TV show. At that time the TV show hadn’t started airing over here so I don’t even know if they were actual gifs or just fan-wishing but I thought “if the gifs can give me these feelings, the book has to be so much better.”

And then a few days later The 100 was offered as a read now on Netgalley and I bet you can guess what I did ROFL.

I really don’t know how I felt about this book. I mean, when I was reading it, it was really easy to get drawn in (to the book & its characters) but once I finished the book & reflected back on what I thought about it I realised that not a lot had happened, or rather it had but I didn’t feel the ‘wow’ factor from any of it.

Shockingly, I didn’t love book Bellamy and Clarke as much as I thought I would. In fact, I found myself rooting and cheering for Glass and Luke and their happy ending instead, they were just WAY more interesting than Bellamy and Clarke for me. I just wish I had read the book before seeing the promo/first episode of the TV show that way I could have made my mind up about the characters (look-wise) myself.

Although the book isn’t completely different from the TV show it is significantly different. There are scenes and characters that (to my knowledge) have not been included in the show.

This book is a great place to start if you want to learn about the backstory of the characters from the 100 or if you want an “easy reading” dystopian then this is the read for you.
on 6 March 2015
Having watched the first season of the television adaptation it's safe to say I was thoroughly excited to finally get my hands on the book. 9/10 times I usually read before I watch, but I only found out about this book AFTER I'd watched the first season of the show.

ANYWAY...

The show is everything you would expect of a teen series - it has romance, action, thriller and a dystopian setting. The book has all this, however, in comparison to the show, fails to deliver a plot. There really is not one, and that which there is is severely underdeveloped. The only reason I got through this book is due to the characters and the short length of just 300 pages. Like I say, the characters are the only feature of the book which is significantly developed and you can tell the author really cares about the relationships between each character.

The book changes perspectives from Clarke to Bellamy, to Wells to Glass. Within almost every chapter there is a flashback scene, helping you understand the characters motives a little better. I found myself enjoying the flashbacks scenes more than the actual present of the book - perhaps that's the point? However, I feel as though Kass Morgan had an amazing idea but just did not execute it well enough and did not take advantage of her own imagination; she seemed to be more interested in the romantic relationships between each coupling. Don't get me wrong, I love a bit of romance but as long as it's accompanied by something else. And, unfortunately, this book doesn't manage to do that as well as, say, The Hunger Games. The 100 get to earth and they do, what? Nothing, pretty much. There are no conflicts, other than over a bag of medical supplies. The show manages to depict their survival at a much better pace.

But hey, hopefully the book series develops and hopefully Kass Morgan just uses the first book to really introduce her characters thoroughly and on a significant depth. It seems to me the Grounders have finally made an appearance towards the end of this book and I'm hoping there will be just a little more content and jaw-dropping moments from now on.
*I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Little, Brown Books for Young Readers and NetGalley*

After a nuclear war that scarred the Earth, humans retreated to space where they have stayed since, waiting for the radiation to reach a safe level.
One hundred young convicts have been sent to the surface by the council in charge of the spaceship housing the surviving humans, not knowing whether the radiation level is safe. What if there is more to the council's decision? What if mankind's future depends on the Earth being safe?

The 100 follows four characters - Clarke, a medical trainee whose scientist parents were killed for treason, who is now in prison because of her own treasonous crime. Wells, son of the Chancellor who is in love with Clarke and commits a crime to ensure that he is sent to Earth with her. Bellamy, who literally fought his way onto a transport pod so that he could look after his sister on Earth. Then Glass, who manages to escape from a transport pod before it leaves the ship so that she can see the boy she loves again.
The 100 was a good read - the premise was intriguing and I liked the writing style.
I found the storyline interesting but not gripping. Not much seemed to happen but there are two more books so this was just a build-up.
The characters were likeable and I enjoyed getting to know them and learning their reasons behind what they'd done. Clarke was my favourite but she did annoy me slightly towards the end of the book.
I would have liked to find out more about the nuclear war and when people left the Earth - like did everyone get to escape or just certain people?

Overall this was an enjoyable read.
on 23 December 2014
There are some intriguing science fiction ideas and concepts within this book. The story concerns a post-apocalyptic civilisation forced to live on space stations orbiting an Earth devastated by war and their prospective re-colonisation of the world below. The confinement leads to a heavily regulated society divided into a strange caste system that is somewhat Orwellian in nature.
Unfortunately much of the interesting science fiction elements are buried under far too much teenage angst with romantic entanglements. This is often quite repetitive and distracts from the actual eponymous colonisation plot.

The book is written from the perspective of four particular characters. Unfortunately they are all a little similar. In fact there isn’t a great variety of characters throughout. This leads the book to feel more like ‘the half a dozen’ rather than ‘the 100’.

Each chapter possesses a structure where the first and third parts of it are concerned with the current course of events and the middle section being a flashback relevant to these events. It gives it a bit of a similar feel to that of the television programme ‘Lost’ and works reasonably effectively.

It is easy enough to see why this has been televised as the nature of the text lends itself quite easily to it. Indeed in many ways it, oddly, feels more like a novelisation than a novel.

With a ‘Lord of the Flies’ type content, that has been popular over recent years, there is definitely potential for the story to develop into further novels. Hopefully they concentrate more on the eponymous ‘100’ and their colonisation attempts, however.
on 25 October 2014
I was really looking forward to reading this book. I watched the TV series which just got better and better so when I saw the book I just had to get my hands on it.

So, I then thought the trick to reading this book is to forget about the TV series and read the book as if I have never heard of the story. A better plan because there appeared so many differences in the book which you can’t help but compare whilst reading.

Start again….. What was the book about in a nutshell. 100 young adult criminals under 18 were sent back to earth to see it was habitable again after nuclear contamination. The different areas they came from onboard meant that there was already a class hierarchy. Faintly reminiscence of Lord of Flies, ensued with such unruly reprobates. Most of the book was learning about the main protagonists; their crime, circumstances, and friends.

The bits I liked about the book?

I love this genre so much, and enjoyed the background setting that Morgan painted in a way that so plausible. (Or was I thinking about what I had watched on TV?) I liked the characters with a great mix of emotional confusion with Wells and Clarke/Bellamy, typical YA behaviour told with each POV.

I enjoyed how the characters remained so plausible, with young adults complete with their inexperiences and angsts trying to be responsible though a rage of hormones. Morgan also gets the moral thoughts racing; No, how could they do that! Were their deaths necessary? But what if they didn’t – how do you choose? Who are the real criminals here? So much to question after you put the book down.

I liked the hierarchy of the classes having an impact on their perception of each other, especially the way life became expendable for the greater good the lower class you were. Nicely done.

What didn’t work for me?

I didn’t like the way the POV was told in a block of flashback in each of the characters chapter. It felt very disjointed and almost like the real story was the flashback parts, and the current-day was a fill-in waiting for things to get more excitingly active towards the end. I would have preferred for the story to have started with everyones story, the excitement building slowly towards being back on earth when their fearful adventure begins.

Had I not seen this fantastically imaginative story on TV I probably would have felt it to be a very slow book that cheated me out of the excitement I craved and possibly would have given up reading half way through. I believe I filled out gaps with my imagination from watching it earlier.

Overall, it’s an okay book but lacks any true excitement or goal. I understand this book was written after the series – sorry just didn’t work!

(Thanks to the Publisher via NetGalley for a Copy of this book in return for my honest review)
This is a really good YA sci-fi novel; the premise on which the book is based is not a new one, but it has been handled well here. Centuries after the possibility of life on Earth has been destroyed in the Cataclysm of a nuclear war, the remnants of humankind have been living on large ships in space. Now they are attempting to see if Earth could possibly be safe for humans to live on it again; to test the theory, the powers that be decide to send 100 convicted young criminals to Earth on a dropship. While there, their vital signs will be monitored remotely.

The story is narrated through the viewpoint of four of those criminals: Clarke, arrested for treason; Wells, the Chancellor’s son who ensures he is convicted so he can follow the girl he loves to Earth; Bellamy, who fights his way on board to save the sister he’s not supposed to have; and Glass, who wants to stay on the spaceship rather than go to Earth. But life on humanity’s sanctuary in space may not be as safe any longer as it has been. And what awaits the dropship on Earth?

This was a really good novel; it would have been nice to have a bit more action, and a little less introspection and teenage angst by the characters as they relived their earlier lives and the ways in which they had found themselves to this point. But given that the setup has now been laid out in this book, and given the ending of this book, there is a great opportunity for a sequel which promises much, both on Earth and in space. Great stuff.