on 11 January 2016
Solid construction and well ventilated. I found installing pretty easy. My location is the last telegraph pole in the furthest BT point in the west of Northern Ireland with a speed on Bt routers around 1.9 MBTS and frequent drop outs. I've replaced everything from main connection box face plate in attempt to squeeze some more speed and stability and thought i'd try a 7800 dxl based on the super tech advice gleaned from tech savy folks on these reviews and the snr alteration feature. Firstly the drop outs have now ceased but absolutely no joy on the speed issue no matter what the snr value is set at. about what I expected in this location, but still a great piece of kit
on 24 August 2014
Finally got fed up with the £30-£50 type of router which lose connections or freeze up. I did not want extreme performance or range but rock solid reliability and finally chose the 7800DXL after researching the subject.
Performance is silky smooth, a fit and forget modem, exactly what I wanted.
on 5 February 2016
Anyone who has ADSL broadband. Should replace this with their old router.
Wireless range and speed are well fast.
Great Router with excellent specs
Would recommend this to anyone looking to replace their current router.
on 7 April 2016
Got to replace the ISP provided router which was strugging with multiple wifi devices (dropping connection to some devices at some times), and was also struggling to stay synced to the DSL, requiring multiple resets every day at times.

This has been rock solid.

* I've not rebooted it since the initial setup, except when tweaking config.
* aDSL sync has been great, it rarely drops the connection.

See the image for details of my current uptime etc.

The software is quite spartan compared to more "conusmer" devices, but I prefer that personally, makes it easier to find the specific settings you need. I found it very straightforward to setup the adsl and wifi, guest network etc. that I needed.

Features I liked:

* Guest network / multiple SSID's (to create seperate (and segregated)) wifi access points for me vs guests etc.
* NAS feature - just plug in a USB hard drive and it easily creates a network share to this. Wasn't expecting this but it's very handy.
* Email notifications on WAN IP change. This is a great feature that lets me fake dynamic dns. I have it email me whenever the external / WAN IP changes, then I can check my emails for the latest public IP address and use this to remote in when I'm away from home.

Overall, highly recommended. I didn't see the adsl speed increase that some people were able to achieve with this chipset (due to manually changing settings), but that's not what I was after. I wanted a solid and stable router that'd handle my traffic (streaming etc.) and be really stable and this is exactly what I got.
review image
on 27 January 2016
This is an excellent Wireless Modem, and has really good range for "G" or "N" grade systems.
Unfortunately, I pressed the wrong button as I really wanted the "AC" range unit because TalkTalk has upgraded my line to Hi speed FIBRE,, and modems up to "N" grade cannot receive this signal...... It had to be regretfully returned to AMAZON who were really great... No fuss No bother, just e-mail me a returns label, and a full refund... Thank you AMAZON.
on 3 September 2015
Unfortunately I have had to return my 7800DXL having found the the USB DNLA does not support lossless .FLAC files. This was confirmed by Billion telephone support. I had upgraded the firmware to the latest version (at time of writing) - 2.32e This lack of .FLAC functionality is not mentioned in any of the literature and took me wasted effort to discover this myself. The device did find the one directory on my USB drive containing .MP3 tracks, confirming that there was nothing wrong with the drive format or file structure.
Of course this you may have no need for this functionality in which case the 7800DXL may be perfectly satisfactory for your requirements, but for me this lack .FLAC file support was a deal breaker.

Can anyone recommend a great ADSL dual-band n (or ac - but I have no ac devices) gigabit modem router that has proven USB .FLAC functionality 'out of the box'? Where you can simply plug in / unplug USB drives containing music without having to undertake special actions (e.g. having to log into the router to unmount the drive before swapping for another)?
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 July 2014
Bought this as a replacement for my old billion as it was getting a bit flakey and it would also prepare me for fibre (which never arrived by the promised implementation date Thanks BT). Since installing this I have had a few issues with wifi interference which I never had with my old billion and occasionally the signal will drop 448 download speed and will need a reboot to get the signal back u; to the M bts range. Other than this the item works as advertised.
on 22 November 2013
Bought this brand of router after doing hours and hours of research and have to say i am not disappointed.
Ok its a little more expensive than some of the other types but for me it was the good reviews i had read online why i purchased it.
I was replacing a BT home hub 3 which for me was far from reliable so rather than change from BT to another ISP i decided to buy a better router, this Billion unit does exactly what it says on the tin - solid connection always, using a laptop and 3 x Tablets in the house as well as mobile phones, the proof of good constant broadband is You Tube videos which with this Router there is no waiting whilst videos " buffer "
So far so good no complaints here - well done Billion !
on 27 May 2015
Does not work work BT Infinity as advertised. Bought this to be future proof and in anticipation of getting Infinity. I liked the router and have it set up for my home network running very smoothly, it even got me a faster Broadband connection. Now that I am able to get BT Infinity I investigated how to set it up and find that while it states it is future proof and works with BT Infinity what that actually means is that if BT still supplied the Openreach Modem (VDSL) then you could plug into that and off you go. Since BT have deprecated that and now supply an all in one BT Home Hub 5, you cannot plug into that without changing the the fundamental set up of each and knowing your way around Nat & DMZ settings. The irony is, that if you do understand this then you're going to have devices that are accessible externally like IP Cameras or a Nest Thermostat and then this 'fudge fix' set up won't work. Spoke to their Tech's and they suggested I get a Billion 8800 for half the price. Looks like this is 'Old Stock' without a price that reflects it. I'm buying an Openreach Modem (£30) so that I don't have to reconfigure my entire network but would have bought a different Router in the first place had I known.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 October 2014
Just WOW !! love this machine !!!! does everything I need to do !
Very easy set up !! but if you want more there is more than enough to keep you busy !! looks good to !!!
Setting on this are magic.
Guest accounts, time limits, choose who and when can connect, its own security, dual band, etc ...
I put all the mobiles onto one band and everything onto another band !
great idea !!! HD streaming ??? no problem now with this !!!
cant recommend it enough !