5.0 out of 5 stars Love it
You only have to look at the reviews of other makes and models to read about the downsides of the competition:
Drop outs, overheating, hard to set up, unreliable, low speed, the list is effectively endless.

Being a Neatgear user for a decade, I thought it normal that I to keep replacing kit on a regular basis, that drop outs were
normal, that blind...
Published 9 months ago by Richard M Bentley

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing spectacular
Only just installed this today having been disappointed by so many other routers - here's my initial assessment.
1. This is a big router and I can only get 3 of its feet on my shelf - so will be needing longer ethernet & phone cable to move it.
2. I like the fact that the lights are on the front and can be seen easily
3. The set up interface is not...
Published 13 days ago by Calico

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Billion BiPAC 7800DXL Triple WAN Dual Band Wireless N Gigabit ADSL2+/Fibre 3G/4G LTE Broadband Router with USB Port (Accessory)

normal, that blind spots standard and re-boots a telephone line necessity. I hide tried linksys, Asus and other brands.
All delivered at first and then loss of signal, drop out, constant need to re-boot, over heating all took their toll.

I have to admit that one part of other reviews is correct: the Billion is not wrapped in shiny plastic with glittering inclusions and a myriad of flashing lights (that are meaningless when a lesser router falls over or doesn't work at all).

Maybe other manufacturers feel the need to produce bling bling to entice buyers to models that simply don't live up to the hype.

At last I have found a router that is rock solid, fast, easy to set up, secure. Not one drop out, not one overheat, not one re-boot, not one negative. Well done Billion.

And what's all that criticism about looks. Aren't ventilation slots needed to keep things cool and stable? Unless of course shiny plastic is more of a buying point than reliability.

Yes the Billion is dark gray and white, has two visible aerials. But is also has loads of future proof facilitates and it is a router not an object of visual envy to be stared at when you are at your desk, that's what the computer screen is for.

Oh, and lets not forget, it really works!

Would I buy another - absolutely

But, for those of you that have that feel the need for bling, the need to have glitz and flashing lights on a desk coupled to an annual spend on the latest kit in the flashiest box please please ignore the review.

For those desperate enough to need a stable internet access point with good range, high speed and
reliability forget about that endless search, just buy the Billion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Billion Billion BILLION, I've missed you., 1 Nov 2013
I had an old Billion ADSL router (7800n) that served me well until I had more devices than MAC address slots to hold them. A family of 5 with more than 16 gadgets on the wifi. I replaced this (sadly) for a ASUS router RT-N66U and seperate ADSL modem(which was a Billion BTW)....then replaced that with Netgears N6300, which I just couldn't get on with.

Eventually I decided to buy the 7800DXL.

Money well spent. It is a dream to set up, to get it working straight away. Features can be added later, such as setting up the wifi, both 2G and 5G easy to configure. A whole host of features for the hardened geek, yet simple enough for 'dad' to set up.

The main reason for buying this: Kids!! I have setup the kids on a seperate wifi with a timed schedule, it comes on, it goes off. No kids can abuse the internet once they have gone to bed. MAC addresses, equally can be set up individual access rights. QOS set up took a little more thought and there is only one company that do this well and that is Draytech, however, Billion is easier that the others generally. I setup a narrow bandwidth for my eldest as all he seems to do is youtube, rather than doing his homework. Again, this can be scheduled, so homework time is on a reduced bandwidth schedule, which still gives him access to the web.

Billion have taken the BRILLIANT 7800n and made this amazing device making obvious improvements. Where Netgear and ASUS have obviously spent money making a device into a lovely lounge ornament with neat lighting, Billion have invested in the actual hardware and developed something a whole lot better.

I've had the internets top 2 dual band routers for the home, but for me, this Billion product stands head and shoulders above them with a device that actually does what its supposed to, easily, quickly, and for power users and dads alike....everyone is satisfied.

I cant give it enough praise!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant product and brilliant customer care, 8 Oct 2013
This replaced our old Netgear DGN1000 and I wish I had bought one of these much sooner. Here's why

1) Amazon fulfilled the order promptly as always (many thanks for that)

2)Set up using the quick set up was easy and painless and I reckon we were back online within about 15 mins. I did not find the set up confusing at all and it worked 'straight out of the box'

3) Its wifi far outperforms the old netgear - we can now receive the 2.4 band in our conversatory, which we could not do before. Our experience is that wifi is now significantly better since buying this product

4) Absolutely faultless customer care - I wanted to ask a couple of questions before I bought, so I phoned the uk number. Could not be more impressed: the man who answered was knowledgeable, phoned back when he said he was going to, answered all my questions except one and for that question he got one of the company's tech guys to email me with the answer - which they did exactly on time with an exact answer to my question. A product lives or dies by the support/after care service you get and these guys were brilliant.

5) more features than I think I'll ever need - for instance now I can have a guest network for the daughters when they drop by, so they can use their iphones/tablets, etc on our broadband; and I can have another guest network running wep, completely isolated from my main network, just so the other kids can use their Nintendo DS's, etc. Fabulous. Oh - and I can turn the wifis on and off on a schedule which makes me feel even better.

6) Just as a bonus it's got gigabit lan Ethernet (the netgear was 100mb) - so all of a sudden my home network is much quicker :-)

So - I would not hesitate if you are thinking of buying - my experience has been great and I wish I'd bought this sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best futureproof router available., 11 Jun 2013
Get this instead of the 7800N, why? It's only £20 more and you get a new broadcom chipset, and dual band.
Guest networks, simultaneous dual band, more settings than you can shake a stick at, 3G connectivity, a rock solid internet connection. What more could you ask for?
Sure, this doesn't have the new AC band specification, but nor do most computers and frankly, N is more than adequate as is a wired LAN connection. It will be a good few years before AC is commonly available.

It's not a stylish device to look at but with excellent venting its functional and keeps cool.

What's so great about this machine?
1) All the connectivity options you need.
It has an ADSL modem built in so if you use a BT type phone line, this is for you. In addition, it will also work with cable/fibre broadband, so if you have a phone line and are planning to change to fibre at some point, you can continue to use this router. If you need to use a 3G mobile network dongle, yep, it will work with that too. There's a USB port in the back which can connect a printer, 3G dongle or hard drive to which can all be shared on the network.

2) Rock solid connection.
My old routers suffered constant wireless disconnections and stale ADSL connections that needed regular router resets. The 7800N has a reputation for rock solid stability (and simply one of the best rated routers on Amazon), the DXL is no different. It's solid, the DSL line holds and I haven't had a single wireless problem. All devices can connect at all times.

3) Dual band.
A key feature. Dual band means the DXL acts as two independent wireless networks. One operates on the commonly used and crowded 2.4g band, while the other is 5g. If you scan the wireless networks available for your ipad or laptop, you'll see them as two separate networks and you can connect to either. We mostly use the 5g band since no-one else in our apartment complex uses it (so prone to less interference and overcrowding). Range is good on both.

4) Loads of settings.
There are hundreds of settings, most of which I don't understand and are better left alone, but if you need ultimate control over how the router works, there are more than enough. You can throttle the upload/download bandwidth for each computer, for example. Or regulate who and when can connect to the network on a time schedule.

5) Guest network
Excellent feature, you can set up a couple of guest networks which are separate to the internal workgroup. Any device connecting to the guest network gets internet access, but not access to your shared network files and stuff.

Fab router. If you have a router which cuts out, drops connections, bad wireless, then consider upgrading to the 7800dxl. It's pricey but with the frustration saved, worth every penny. You pay for what you get.

#### Update...2 months on, I haven't had a single wireless dropout or internet disconnect. This router hasn't been reset not even once since I set it up. Incredible!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a decent router., 7 May 2014
My requirements for a router were:

- Stable, I want it to hold my ADSL
- Have a fast sensible interface.
- Modern Broadcom SOC
- IPv6 & IPv4
- Built to last
- Status LEDs that are not bright blue
- Wireless N and Gigabit
- USB interface
- Turns off WPS correctly (thus, not susceptible to the reaver attack)

This router meets these requirements. Router and line have both been up for 3 days and counting. This replaced a Linksys WRT54GL running DD-WRT and a DrayTek Vigor 120 (which died). Build quality is evident. I think it's worth noting that the brown gunk used on the 7800N which caused problems with the wireless is not present on this model.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile Billion upgrade, 22 Mar 2013
Alien937 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I got this router to replace a Billion 7800N, which was ageing but still functional after years of service. The 7800DXL retains the same basic design: a flat, rectangular plastic box covered in holes. You might think that so many holes would be problematic in terms of dust, reducing the device's longevity, but that certainly wasn't the case with the 7800N. The holey design provides excellent ventilation, reducing the risk of overheating - the true enemy of any router. Billion has stuck with the old maxim: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", even though it means the company probably won't win any awards for innovative design.

The 7800DXL brings some very welcome things to the party: simultaneous dual band, 3G/4G compatibility and a USB port. The menu system will be familiar to anyone who's used a Billion device before, offering you far more options than the average router. The old "Save Config"/"Write settings to FLASH" rigmarole has been done away with; now you just click "Apply" and the settings are remembered and a reboot is carried out if necessary. Modifying SNR is now part of the main menu rather than being a hidden option, and now it requires that you enter a target SNR value instead of the old, rather confusing system. There seem to be fewer options for the ADSL side of things compared to the 7800N, though I can't identify what's missing from memory. Also unlike the 7800N, the antennas are non-detachable; presumably, this has something to do with the dual band set-up.

One thing Billion's ADSL modems are renowned for is their comparative stability on long telephone lines; I'm glad to say this tradition continues with the 7800DXL. I have a longish line that's prone to broadband disconnections whenever the phone rings, but so far the router has maintained a continuous, trouble-free connection, making it one of the stablest routers I've tried recently. It may not have the strongest wireless signal I've seen, nor the new 802.11ac Wi-Fi standard, but it goes some way to making up for it in terms of stability.

VPN capability is conspicuous by its absence with the 7800DXL. Apparently, the final letter in this model identifier stands for "Lite". The 7800DXL is a low cost (though not that low) router intended primarily for home use. At some point Billion will release the 7800DX, which will have VPN capability and possibly more than one USB port. If these things are important to you, it might be advisable to wait for this fully-fledged model.

For everyone else, the 7800DXL is a worthy upgrade over older Billion routers. It has the same great performance and stability, vast range of options, and (hopefully) impressive longevity as the 7800N, combined with the especially welcome addition of dual band, something that's become increasingly desirable following the rise of 5GHz-capable devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for somebody in a rural location better that Asus broad band went from 0.80meg to 2.94meg, 11 Dec 2014
I am on BT ADSL (my broadband goes through my phone line) broadband and live in the middle of nowhere in South West Scotland some 7 miles form my exchange.

I have micro filters on each phone point and a BT faceplate, I also use cat 6 cables when hard wired.

I run business from my home which is heavily dependent on having internet connection, mainly for email so nothing to heavy. I also have 2 PS4's, 3 laptops, 1 PC, internet music streaming hardware and i pads and phones all trusty for internet connection.

I try not to have everything connected at the same time and prioritise.

Through the process of trying to gain better internet stability and speed my knowledge has spiked dramatically over the last two years along with my frustrations, I have tried or considered several router or router combinations, satellite broad band, having an extra phone line fitted and just using mobile broad band,

Living so far from the exchange throws up all sorts of problems, any slight changes can alter your SNR (signal noise ratio) which BT use to decided how many decibels to put through your line to gain a medium balance between stability and speed, this is all automatic.

You can find out what your SNR is by ringing BT. 6 is considered to be a good start point however everybody is different. When my internet was dropping I would ring up BT they would do a line test, my SNR would be 12 or 13 they then would run tests over a few days and my connection would stabilise again at around 6.

The best I download speed I have every got was 3.00 meg that was using a Ausus RT AC 66U router with a Dratek Vigor 120 modem, however I would only have those speeds for a few days then my SNR would start creeping up again from 6 to 13.

So I knew the problem, I tried many different routers in the past and was simply at a loss.

Although I had recently brought a new router (the best on the market via reviews) I saw that this unit could let you manipulate the SNR and trick the exchange into thinking you have a higher SNR than you actually did which would be perfect for me.

The set was easy enough and I could do away with my old modem as I could plug the phone cable direct in to the "DSL" socket on the router.

I was running at 0.80 meg with frequent drops outs. I hard wired a laptop in and had a play around with the SNR (make sure you search the web for a chart that explains how to change the values). Nothing seemed to change no matter what value I put in, I checked with bt what my SNR was and surprise surprise it was at 12 again so I adjusted the setting in the Billion so it would know of 6 decibels and left the unit.

After a few days I was really impressed that I hadn't had a single drop out even when playing games on-line with my PS4, I decided to do a speed test and was absolutely shocked to see I was getting a steady 2.94 meg download speed and this done wireless!

This is a brilliant piece of kit, it also has a " Broadcom" chip for people that live far from the exchange. having spent two years messing around and suffering poor internet this has been a saviour. This was the last shot bar moving house which wasn't going to happen.

So here are the Pros

Stable increased broadband connection
Easy installation
Helpful UK based help line they can explain how to set up the SNR
All in one unit
Not to big
Use 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless
Future proof if you ever do get fibre or BT infinity
Saved my sanity

If you are having problems and struggle with your broad band I would recommend this product without a shadow of a doubt is marvellous, I don't usually do reviews how this product has inspired me to do so!

5.0 out of 5 stars Steady, speedy, and great for rural broadband, 24 Sep 2014
Living where we do, in a small village in the countryside, our broadband connection is unstable at times, and often dropping out. However, the speed isn't too bad at 6meg. We have survived for years on an old Netgear router, which was beginning to get very hot, and a little unstable. A router upgrade was long overdue.

Enter the 7800DXL... I had been recommended Billion, as a brand, by a friend who works in networking, and has done for years. Although I would say this device is at the upper end of the price bracket, it has already proved it's worth. Our connection is now synced at 7meg (a full 1meg faster!), and is rock-solid. We have suffered no drop-outs. Traffic in the home seems to be prioritised better, with the PS4 and Xbox One consoles enjoying more bandwidth.

The unit itself isn't particularly modern looking, but doesn't get hot, and can be wall-mounted if needed. Setup is quite straight-forward, but some tech knowledge may be useful compared to simpler units such as a BT HomeHub. The router supports dual band wireless networks so on setting up, you are actually configuring two wifi access points; one on 2.4Ghz (the norm for some years), and one on 5Ghz (more modern). The unit broadcasts both of these access points, so your devices can be connected to 5Ghz (if supported) for faster networking speeds, or 2.4Ghz. This is a great feature, and means that the slower devices won't slow the whole network down.

The features of this router are far too extensive to go through in detail here, but there is a huge number of settings that can be adjusted. For the very tech-savvy, you will not be disappointed with the endless twekaing this unit allows you. Most notably, and one of the main features that led to my purchasing this device, is the ability to adjust the SNR on the line. This feature, by itself, may be very, very useful for those who work from home on an older ADSL phone line, or live remotely enough that increased broadband speed would be well received! Put simply, tweaking this number can often eek a significant speed increase from your existing phone line. It can be confusing, but an internet search for this model number will find a useful guide.

To summarise; this router has turned our home ADSL connection from unsteady but acceptable, to useful and speedy. I am very happy with the result, and can highly recommend.

Note: I also purchased a Netgear WN3000RP Range Extender to use with this router. No problems in setting up, and provided the required result. Great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, 27 Aug 2013
I agree with most of the positive reviews, easy setup and connection is rock solid. The only negative I have is that the Wireless is no improvement on my old BT Hub 2. I am currently looking to order a WiFi range extender to improve the signal coverage, for the cost of the Billion 7800DXL I should not be in that position.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well recommended modem router for trouble free WiFi / LAN, 13 Aug 2014
Great modem / router!

You know how sometimes you have to restart your modem-router because it crashed/hangs, etc.? Well since I bought this one I had to do it just once and I've had it for few months, where with old BT modem I had to do it every few days. Just to give you the picture of my setup, it contains:
1 iMac
2 PCs
1 HD TV with HD Plex videos
1 ePOS
4 switches
15 IP cameras
11 WiFI devices (ipads, tablets, phones)
on top of that the network is accessible to customers of the cafe for free WiFi access.

So that's pretty heavy traffic.

I would definitely recommend this modem-router.

My advice: I know this modem costs more than some of the cheaper ones, but do yourselves a favour - buy this one and forget that you have a modem-router. It'll never be a problem again.