4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty straightforward
Had for a few weeks, and bought primarily as a RAID array NAS drive with with 2x WD 3Tb red drives for an internal home LAN. I chose it cos it has the best connectivity for the price (2x USB3, 1x USB2), the eSATA link appears to be dedicated to a specific NetGear expansion box.

Hardware installation was a breeze. ReadyCLOUD discovery worked well and the whole...
Published 14 months ago by JP

3.0 out of 5 stars hardware good, software poor!!
The kit itself is easy to setup. But once setup and working, you can't add an additional disk to the system without resetting to factory defaults and wiping all the material on the original disk!!!!!
Published 10 months ago by Norman McCully

3.0 out of 5 stars The unit is fine but the cloud side isn't that good., 7 Mar 2014
TK Hodgson "keithhodgson" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NETGEAR RN10200-100EUS ReadyNAS 102 2 Bay Network Attached Storage (No Disk) (Accessory)
I bought this unit for it's "cloud" capabilities. Set up of the unit is straight forward. BUT when I loaded the software on my phone, it runs up but can't see the shares. It also reckons my other NAS is offline, yet I can see it on my PC ok.

1.0 out of 5 stars Final impressions..., 9 Feb 2014
This is my first NAS. It's the RN102. On the whole there is room for improvement. I now have had it for a week. I experimented first with an old WD SATA2 640GB HDD, but now had a 1TB Seagate Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB 3.5 inch Hard Drive from its supported drives list. the new drive is even more quieter and a touch quicker, but same issues remain.

The unit itself feels well-built and runs quiet. The mechanism to fit the disk is very good and easy. You get cat 5 network cable in the box that I didn't use as I had a spare cat 6 cable. Make sure to read the manuals from Netgear website.

When fitted the full WD drive, all lights came on, but I got stuck. As my disk had been in use and not empty, I needed to perform factory default first so the RN102 wipes the disk and install its own OS 6. This should work by disconnecting power, hold paperclip in the reset button/hole in the back, reconnect power and press the front backup button few times to get to the desired default process. Once there, you release the paperclip and the factory default should start, but nothing was cycling for me. Well, this did not work. I eventually got past that by taking the drive out, put it back in its old enclosure, connect to PC as USB external drive and deleted the partitions in win7 administrative tools.

When re-installed again, the RN102 became alive and worked fine. No need to download firmware as it automatically prompted me to install the newest version. There was no problem when later on I replaced the new unformatted Seagate drive. The RN102 just automatically did the formatting and the OS6.6 install in no time, so no worries if you fit a brand new drive.

I tried drag and drop to copy files in the NAS admin page, but this didn't work in Firefox. Instead I opened "network" in windows, opened the NAS in the top section of "computers" used copy & paste from the PC folders into the corresponding NAS folders. This worked fine and very reasonable speed. Both PC and RN102 are connected directly to the router by network cable. It is seen and works as media server great no problems, but I couldn't so far make it discoverable as "Network windows share" on some other devices, so still trying.

The HDD does not spin down even though I'm using a supported drive. You have to power off the unit to give the drive some rest, but on booting again, the NAS almost always is not discoverable as DLNA device. It's luck of the dice how many times it would take rebooting, either by the power button, restart in the web page or unplugging then re-plugging the power cable till it is discoverable again as DLNA on the network. I do not think that it is meant to be "on" all the time and it should really be switched off and on smoothly. Not sure what's the point of "Wake on LAN" if the unit is always on. There should really be something simple like in Windows to set up Sleep after number of minutes of inactivity, and then it would wake on LAN if required. The on and off timer works fine, but same issue with DLNA on booting.

Update: I changed the review from first to final impressions and downgraded it from 3 to 1 star. I contacted Netgear trying to solve the problem with booting. They wanted me to try a new firmware that is still a beta version. They have the audacity to sell a product that does not function properly and then ask me to experiment for them. After all these versions of their firmware, you would've thought that all problems have been ironed out. No thank you very much. I will be trying another make and I wish Netgear all the best in charging people to experiment on them. In my humble opinion, they should try their designs out before it is put for sale. The only bonus is that the unit is good looking and well built, but what's the point of a sturdy nice looking unit that raises your blood pressure every time you switch it on. Lesson learnt: No more Netgear for me, it is going back. I think I will give Synology a go.

Update: I now had Synology DS213J 2 Bay Desktop NAS Enclosure for a week. It is working with no problems as it should. It does not have USB3 and does not have front USB port. It does not have the brilliant hard drive fitting mechanism of the Netgear, but it is doing what it should be doing. It goes off and back on no problems. It goes to sleep when the disk is not being accessed after time that you can set. It took ages to index all my files overnight, but works flawlessly since then. All my devices could see it and access the files as DLNA and windows share. It is just working. Sorry Netgear, but your fancy box is just too much hassle and the Synology wins hands down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got as present and love it, is just perfect for a home solution ..., 11 Dec 2014
Got as present and love it, is just perfect for a home solution and data storage. I can access it from everywhere thank to the Ready cloud solution. great and simple to use compared to other product.
Remember if you buy this product for a work environment, is better considering the bigger brother, but for a home solution and small office is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a relief!, 22 Feb 2014
D. A. Erskine (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a QNAP TS-212P which I had returned to Amazon. Whereas the QNAP was a nightmare to set up and had appalling documentation, this unit was very easy to configure and has excellent documentation. It was also very simple, via the unit's boot menu, to reformat and use a pair of hard drives salvaged from my old WD MyBook NAS.
It is too early to say how durable it will be but it certianly seems very robust and well constructed. I would recommend it!

UPDATE: One other reviewer has commented on the fact that the discs never spin down. All the time that the unit is powered on, even if no data is being written or accessed, you can hear the little "tick - tunk" noises made (I guess) by the read/write heads moving backwards and forwards. I don't know whether this means that the disc drives are more likely to wear out prematurely or not, but I have decided to use the built-in timer to only switch on the unit during the hours I expect to be accessing it. The Wake-on-LAN function also works well to boot the unit if I unexpectedly want to use it at other times. I am still perfectly happy, however this solution would not really be acceptable in a busier environment. It would be useful to hear from a disc-drive expert whether or not it is harmful to the drives to have them busily "tick-tunking" 24/7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for home network media storage, 21 Jan 2014
From opening the box to watching films on my ipad, the whole process was extremely easy to follow.
I fully recommend this unit to anyone who wants to keep all their videos,pictures and music in one place at home.

Both my PC's and Macbook could see the ReadyNas without any problems.
There was no complex setup for the RAID (the way the NAS automatically backs up your data) it just works!

I received this unit for review from one of the Netgear representatives. Had I paid the full retail price I would not have been disappointed.

The ease of use has exceeded my expectations, particularly the ReadyNAs remote software. I can back up/transfer files when I am on the move, all you need is internet access.

1.0 out of 5 stars I am by no means a stranger to IT but this defies all sense - the instructions are useless, the software is out of date, 22 Nov 2014
Nothing but trouble. I am by no means a stranger to IT but this defies all sense - the instructions are useless, the software is out of date, and it just will not behave on my network. Currently sitting in the corner sulking - might try again if I ever have 2 or 3 days to waste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear ReadyNAS 102 2 Bay Network Attached Storage, 6 Oct 2013
Russell Dunk "Larry the Lamb" (Staffordshire England) - See all my reviews
Fantastic. Easy to use and setup. Best buy I have made so far. One tip, don't use the onboard virus checker, it slows down access when moving data.

I have used 2 WD Red 2TB drives in it and stays at 32 Degrees fro the disks and rests at 47 degrees CUP, rising to 55 Max when fully used. All in all I would recommend this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs, 28 Nov 2013
Now if Netgear want to reply to this please go ahead but some of these issues have been ongoing for months.
This product is NOT fit for purpose IMO
Yes it is well built
Yes it looks the business
Yes it promises so very much
BUT
The HDD don't spin down EVER unless you have the unit turn off completely
The DNLA feature whilst showing as on is actually off when you power on the unit again, you need to turn DNLA off then on again.
The unit will power off as per schedule even if you are actually using it
The android apps don't work most of the time, sometimes they do after resetting everything but than don't again especially if the unit has powered off and then restarted
The photo app for android - there isn't one!
DNLA is not fully certified
Creating a remote user account is dreadful and problematic - Took 3 attempts, said user created but wasn't
Look up ReadyNAS on PLAY for Android - Look at those 1 star reviews - I AM NOT ALONE!

By contrast Synology DS213j - Faster, easier setup, easier account creation, remote access works, photo app, HDD spindown, DNLA certified. Worth every penny extra.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better, 21 Sep 2013
The NAS is brilliant. It was an upgrade from my D-Link DNS 320 which I had about a month ago but it didn't have many great features, so I went looking for a new one. When I saw this I knew that it was a no-brainer. It was cheap and was packed full of features I'd expect from a NAS twice the price. When the friendly delivery man came to the door it was packed in a nice Amazon box, I signed it and he went. When I opened the box I noticed that the actual box for the NAS was a bit smaller than the outer box, but that doesn't matter. The actual box was very tidy with all of the information about the NAS on the side. I opened the box which was a bit of a struggle because of how thick the cardboard was and I pulled the NAS out which was quite a bit heavier than I thought but it was definitely well built. I had a look around and I liked the screwless installation idea where you just slot the drive into the caddy and push it in to the NAS. I then plugged everything in and inserted the resource CD into my computer, installed the RAIDar application and opened the application. It found my NAS in no time, but said there was a corrupt root. As they were used drives I thought that it must have been a dodgy file type on the drive, so I reformatted them to NTFS and still has the corrupt root problem. This is where the real problem came. I scoured the internet for about an hour trying to find an answer. Then there was a breakthrough. I apparently had to put my NAS into boot mode and factory reset it. I thought that because it was brand new I wouldn't have to do this, but I gave it a shot. So I turned it off and used a straightened paperclip to press and hold the reset button and turn it on at the same time, then all of the lights at the front of the NAS came on. To scroll through the boot modes I had to press the 'Backup' button and select which one by releasing the reset button. I set it to factory reset and left it for half an hour reset itself. I came back and turned the NAS on and looked for it on the RAIDar application and it said it was running version 6.0.0. I clicked on setup and it took me to the NAS's web address (192.168.2.5). I looked through the settings and it was all clearly laid out and clean. I changed some settings and started using it as I should and it is still working fine now. I would definitely recommend this to someone who knew what they were doing.

Pros:
Lots of features for the price
Runs nice and cool
User accounts
Useful apps
Built in anti-virus that updates 2-3 times a day
Quiet

Cons:
You need to have some good experience setting these up or else you will struggle.
No Paper instructions. Only on a CD
Could have some more apps

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it yet ..Released half finished, can't handle files bigger than 4gb, 14 April 2013
I. Telfer "Aeon" (London) - See all my reviews
***May 1st, 2013 (Please google for updates)**
This major issue is still not fixed with no ETA from Netgear.

Summary
These NAS devices don't currently support files of greater than 4gb.
It's a known bug in the new OS version 6 (currently on 6.0.4).
It's probably worth googling this device before buying.

The problem for me was the transfer of files in excess of 4gb from a linked USB drive or a local drive on my Computer via the file upload procedure.
I have an ongoing tech support ticket going with Netgear now dating back to April 6th, and have been talking to Netgear every week about this (last update today May 1, 2013).
Netgear say that they are targeting a fix in release 6.0.5 but can't guarantee it will be fixed and have no release date for it either.
Therefore as I bought this as a media server the fact it can't upload large file sizes from the UI is terrible and makes it's useless. Pointless for backups and to serve Media. It's also possible it's truncating these large files, effectively destroying them (luckily I keep multiple back ups).
So in summary, a NAS that can't copy >4gb files through the shiney new Netgear UI is totally useless.
Oh and the App store is full of Apps for old Netgear products.