4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty straightforward
Had for a few weeks, and bought primarily as a RAID array NAS drive with with 2x WD 3Tb red drives for an internal home LAN. I chose it cos it has the best connectivity for the price (2x USB3, 1x USB2), the eSATA link appears to be dedicated to a specific NetGear expansion box.

Published 9 months ago by JP

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame
WebDav not working as per system specifications AppStore integration slow sometimes not working at all. Ran out of space due to replicated data - had to reset to clear disk.
Published 13 months ago by egooner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty straightforward, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Netgear ReadyNAS 102 2 Bay Network Attached Storage (No Disk) (Accessory)

Hardware installation was a breeze. ReadyCLOUD discovery worked well and the whole thing was up and running in 10 minutes or so. It works in the background matching the disks, and took about 10 hours from initial start-up, but it is usable from the off and pauses the process when you turn it off.

The admin page is reasonably straightforward, and has options for timed on/off periods. My aim was to set up public shares in a household where we don't use logons so configuration was easy. I've not tried to use printer shares, remote access or quota setting. The only problem was IE10 on Win8 claimed it was always off-line, whereas in Win7 it was fine. Firefox 24 in Win8 worked with no problem.

The unit is pretty quiet but the fan can be heard in a silent room (but then so can our Humax PVR!). It's no noisier than the silent desktop PC I built recently, or the laptops we have. While it has rubberised feet for grip and damping, you can still get resonation from the spinning disks, but that's more to do with the where you put the unit and on a small bookcase next to the router it seems fine.

File transfer speeds across our gigabit network are generally 50-60Mb/s (i.e. 400-500Mbps), which was pretty much what I was expecting in real-world performance, and is faster than my experience with USB3 drives. After an hour of constant data copying it didn't get hot (CPU 55C, but the box was not obviously warm).

So far so happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars First NAS - Happy so far...updated, 26 Aug 2013
E. O'brien (UK) - See all my reviews
After retiring our family PC in favour of mobile devices, ipads, ipods and the like, I needed a solution to store our family photos and video clips.
I did a fair amount of research and settled on the Netgear ReadyNAS 102 on the basis of cost.

At first, the Netgear range of 2 bay NASs seemed a bit confusing. There was the ReadyNAS DUO, the ReadyNAS V2 ReadyNAS Ultra. I eventually realised that the 102 was the successor to the V2 and Duo and was therefor the latest in the lineup.
I did read some dodgy reviews (here on Amazon and elsewhere) that the 102 was experiencing problems but decided to go ahead with it based on the previous versions in the hope that the issues would have been addressed.

I bought the diskless version and added my own Seagate ST3000DM1 3TB hard drive. I intend to add another later but I haven't decided if I want to extend the volume or mirror in RAID 1 yet.

When it arrived, I switched it on and was presented by flashing lights and I could not see it in the RAIDar software.
After reading the manual and checking online, I decided to try a factory reset which worked.
After initial boot up, I accessed the frontview in firefox and rant the setup. The system notified me that a firmware update was available which was downloaded and installed automatically.

I spent a few hours setting up and checking it out and eventually mapped the NAS in windows and started copying all my data over.
I have also successfully streamed content to my Panasonic Viera TV and Onkyo receiver without any problems. I've also accessed the Readycloud remotely from my work PC and viewed the content.

Next steps are to install the IOS and Android apps on the mobile devices.

So far I'm pretty impressed and hope it will provide good service for years to come.

Update***
Had more of a chance to play with the features and after being confused by the DLNA service, I have happily been streaming content to my Panasonic Viera TV.
The confusion on my part is that there are three default shares created when the system formats the drive - Video, Pictures and Music.
These names are the same as the three DLNA categories you can assign to a share if it is to be used for DLNA - All, Video, Pictures and Music.
I crated a new share, TV_Shows, with the same settings as the Video share but I could not get it to display on any DLNA client, only the three defaults.
It took me a while to work out that the shares themselves are not listed in DLNA clients but rather the categories. So if you assign a share as Video, content within it will only appear in the Video section. If you assign it All, it will appear in each section, and so on.
This caused a bit of frustration as I couldn't find an answer anywhere, but I was kicking myself when I figured it out.

I now need to work out what each of the services do and which ones I need and which I can turn off.

Also, copying takes forever over WIFI. I copied around 500GB and it took days. My Sky Router is Wireless N but only 100 base T wired. So I borrowed a Gigabyte switch from work and connected directly between my laptop and the NAS and the rate increased significantly and I copied my remaining 1TB of data in a shorter time span.

The DLNA client on the Smart TV is not great with regards to playing music so I need to work out a better solution. Either SONOS or a new DLNA enabled receiver amp.
But other than that I'm very happy with the ReadyNas 102 and would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Netgear ReadyNAS 102 2 Bay No Disk - To Replace Ageing One, 23 Aug 2013
Alessi Lover "C.A.D." (Knightley UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
New NAS to replace ageing readynas duo.

I ordered this courtesy of the Vine programme to replace an ageing one. Husband set it up as he is more into the gadgets and pc stuff than myself, to me being a novice to media streaming etc I think that I would have needed some help to set it up. No disks are included with this but it does make that clear on the web description.

These are some of the points that husband made about it:

Most noticeable change is the speed of response on the GUI interface, which is also much improved.

Setup was easy, partioning, LUNs, fileshares etc etc all as expected. However – after all the complex pieces, the first hurdle was copying across files into the new shares. Using the admin screen, and then drag and drop from a file manager window seemed to do the copies fine and fast, but the files were not readable (media files). Must have been some permissions issue or other glitch, but I couldn’t spot what was causing this. So, populated the shares again using a client PC and file explorer, rather than the NAS admin interface. All worked fine, but did lose a few hours here.

Another slight negative is the admin screen loses it’s connection when performing some operations.

Needed squeezebox service – which doesn’t come in the Netgear add on apps any longer. Found a 3rd party provider and the install worked first time. The squeezebox service and streaming seems much slicker than on the readynas duo.

Other media streaming seems more solid than prior on same LAN

Added a second disk to get RAID1, and again – all this happened with ease. The sliders are slightly different than the readynas, and come with a plastic clamp, so you don’t have to screw down the drives.

All in all – seems a solid replacement, and the performance increase is noticeable, both the admin interface, services and file operations, even though the readnas was also a 1gb lan port.

Haven’t tried the readycloud stuff that you can also sign up to.

Only negative so far is a low frequency noise, (really, really annoying as that frequency that annoys when trying to concentrate) even after reseating drives seems to be present. This may well be just this one enclosure though, and is only an annoyance if sitting near to it. It does have power –on scheduling, which can be tailored for each weekday. Also useful for me, is wake on-lan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear ReadyNAS 102 2 Bay Network Attached Storage, 6 Oct 2013
Russell Dunk "Larry the Lamb" (Staffordshire England) - See all my reviews
Fantastic. Easy to use and setup. Best buy I have made so far. One tip, don't use the onboard virus checker, it slows down access when moving data.

I have used 2 WD Red 2TB drives in it and stays at 32 Degrees fro the disks and rests at 47 degrees CUP, rising to 55 Max when fully used. All in all I would recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loving it so far, 7 Sep 2013
E. Ford (Guyana) - See all my reviews
This review is probably going to be updated over time, as I become more & more familiar with the unit - I picked it up in-store on September 1, and so far I like what I see.

First - a word of advice - do not buy the diskless version if you're not willing to fiddle with boot menus, etc. - get one with the disks pre-installed.

Having said that - if you did buy a diskless version and install two brand new disks, setting it up is a breeze, put the disks in (you don't even need a screwdriver), plug it in, turn it on, go to readycloud.netgear.com, click on discover, and you're good to go. If you have a couple of disks you want to reuse, I suggest you delete any partitions and data that may exist, or you'll have to use the boot menu to get anywhere.

Right now I have a pair of small disks (only 80GB) installed and I'm going to use these to familiarize myself with ReadyNAS OS6 - this is my first ReadyNAS, but not my first NAS and I've learned that low cost *nix based NAS appliances don't always work the way you think they should.

Like the title says, so far I am loving it, as low cost NAS appliances go, it has a full feature set, so far I have only used the backup feature, it did a reasonable job, more tests to follow.

I've discovered that during the initial setup the firmware copies the OS to the disks after which the system boots from the disks, quite different to the other low cost NAS appliances I've owned, but, similar to the higher priced ones - this should actually make it easier to hack the OS if I needed to.

I especially like the fact that it can be shutdown by a UPS, attached not only directly to a USB port, but also via SNMP, another feature that is more in keeping with enterprise NAS than home units.

Why 4 stars and not 5? Well - Netgear are you listening? We need those cryptic error messages either deciphered by the OS or documented so we can look them up - what does code: 7077010020 mean? It's the equivalent of Windows "path not found" but I had to figure that out for myself, after half a dozen tries.

So far I've got three support cases submitted in as many days and it's rare for me to have any - I generally can find my way around this stuff.

Edit...

I know I said *.nix based NAS' don't always work the way you think they should, but I'm starting to get concerned now, this one doesn't seem to work as Netgear says it should.

I tested disk redundancy - that seemed to work, my data remained available, and when I installed a "new drive" of the same capacity, it rebuilt as it should, but Netgear says it will do "automatic single volume online expansion", which, it apparently won't - I swapped out of my test drives and installed a larger drive, and it will not rebuild, which is the first step in the online expansion.

It also won't talk to my APC UPS via SNMP, and that seems to have tech support stumped - of course the cryptic error messages don't help either.

Edit...

One of the things I knew when I bought this unit without any disks, is that Netgear may refuse support if you are not using an "approved" disk - well my test disks weren't on the approved list, and apparently were related to some of the quirks I was seeing - I have since swapped in a larger pair of disks (also not on the approved list) and the unit, at least in the interface, behaves as it should - I will have another go at expansion later.

I have used the built-in backup jobs, they work well, although the creation of destination folders appears to be quirky, I can live with it, and backing up the NAS itself to an external USB drive is a lot quicker than backing up my server to the NAS via the network, I may have to take another look at my network settings.

Even though this is definitely the low end of Netgear's NAS lineup, it benefits from Netgear's decision to use a single OS, so it has the features you would find on a more SMB oriented unit - way to go Netgear, way to go!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 5 Dec 2013
I paid three times more money for a bigger and supposedly better NAS which had major issues. It was returned and I opted for the ReadyNas 102. It performs perfectly and I've had no issues at all. The only negative is it could have better apps for it however it streams video perfectly to my smart tv's and tablet therefore no real complaints.

4.0 out of 5 stars A small product with a big punch!, 20 Sep 2013
Before I start this review I must state that I received this device via the "Friends and family" program from NETGEAR free of charge, although I have no affiliation with NETGEAR myself.

I have been using a previous generation of the Netgear ReadyNAS range which I was mostly happy with, it kept my data safe and allowed me to access the NAS around my house. There were two downfalls to me the first was that I didnt have a decent way to access the NAS when I was away from home and the second was the transfer speed to this NAS was slow.

I received the ReadyNAS 102N I had read good things about it and had seen that it had the cloud access I wanted so this interested me as I am away from home a fair amount.

On receiving, I unboxed, to find a smaller but more solid NAS drive. The ReadyNAS I have only has one drive in it so I added a second drive, there was no need to any screwdrivers as the drive clips into the holder which I thought was a great idea.

I connected it and powered it up and instantly noticed how quiet it was compared to my previous NAS After using RAIDar I then went to the address and configured, I was up and running in minutes with no issues. The actual screens to set up and manage the NAS are very intuitive and unlike my old NAS didn't have me tearing out what hair I have left on my head! I joined and set up the ReadyCLOUD access as well and was then ready to transfer my first files across the network...

WOW! this is ALOT quicker than my old NAS!! I also tried putting some video on it too and again it was nice and quick. I have been accessing it from the ReadyCLOUD login while away and at work and have found the speed and responsiveness more than ample. I am planning on using it to stream my itunes around my devices and this too looks pretty easy to set up. There are various apps that you can download but I believe you need to set up a login to do so, so I havent tested these yet.

The drive has been working now hassle free for a week or so, both my macs and pc have had no issues connecting. All in all I am really happy with it and will be looking to purchase another RN102 for my office to use as a time machine backup on the macs we run there. Its a great little NAS doesn't take up much room either. I personally would not hesitate to recommend this to a friend to use as their back up device.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame, 20 Jun 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Good network storage, 4 Jun 2014
Andy C (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
It is a bit a pain to set up but most types of network storage seem to be hard work at the start. Once set up it has worked really well for what I want. I have two people sharing files and the ReadyNAS sits between them storing the files. It also keeps back up copies for the last 30 days so if there is a problem with a file we can go back and recover yesterdays.

5.0 out of 5 stars New, 1 May 2014
after amazon resent me another one through because of orders getting confused (originally got sent a first aid box) i have found it is very nice a good piece of technology to work with can remotely access it anywhere in the world generally easy to use .. i did spend a while setting it up the first time as i have never used a NAS before but after i had mastered all of the controls it was very simple and easy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›