5.0 out of 5 stars Stay in the cave!
Published on 25 Mar. 2013 by Susman

3.0 out of 5 stars The Croods
The Croods is a charmingly entertaining action adventure from the makers of Shrek! With some top notch animation and a fun cast of colourful characters this is one of the studio's better offerings.

Published 2 months ago by T. Cosens

5.0 out of 5 stars Stay in the cave!, 25 Mar. 2013
Susman "Susman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Croods [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Took my 47 year old, to quench her need for to see a `cutesy' prehistoric animation, I must say I was pleasantly surprised the film was rather good. This is a very good cross-generational film that will appeal to children as well as adults. The narrative is engaging and the animation is some the best I have seen lately. As another reviewer has said the story is quite funny in the way it deals with fear of the unknown, being alone and life in general when you trying just to survive to the next day. Your inner child should really like this film, well worth a very good five stars. I must say my 47 year old was very well behaved!

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for Everyone!, 25 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Croods [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I took my family to see this film - age range of 9-65 and everyone came out saying how much they had enjoyed it. We have seen loads of animated films and thought we had seen it all, but this proved we haven't. There is plenty to be amused by and the story is interesting - the scene when the family are introduced to fire is really funny (the character is advised to hide from it in the tall dry grass) but there is one scene involving the dad which is quite moving (my 10 year old was crying). The basic story is that our cave family is the only one left in the area and the father has taken an overly-cautious approach to life to keep the family safe making them spend a lot of time closed in their cave. The daughter is bored and frustrated and one night sneaks out of the cave and finds a boy who can make fire. He tells her the end of the world is coming and the action begins from there after the familys cave is destroyed. Should they trust the new boy and follow him to the mountains or keep with the fathers idea of finding a new cave to hide in? The ensuing journey has plenty of ups and downs along the way and there's the message about sometimes taking risks in life to make it better. Visually the film is stunning, the animation is fantastic and I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crood Tube, 16 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Croods [Blu-ray] [2013] (Blu-ray)
At this point I am pretty cynical when it comes to CGI cartoons on the big screen. Once upon a time it was the genius of Pixar and the entertainment of DreamWorks Animation. However, with these animations making more money than most live action films the number of them have increased and not always the quality. DreamWorks themselves have had a few dodgy films in their back catalogue so watching ‘The Croods’ was no guarantee. Thankfully, although it may lack some of the intelligence of the best modern animations, this is a heartfelt, colourful and fun entry.

‘The Croods’ centres around the titular family of Neanderthal people who have only managed to survive by hiding in their cave. When the cave is no longer an option they are forced to seek new ground with the aid of Guy, a Homosapien and is belt. The film is a mixture of coming of age (Ice Age) and family drama. It is the relationships between the family that makes the film fun; the protective father, overbearing grandmother, adventurous daughter etc. The dynamic is a very modern feeling one, but transported back to a lost age full of danger. It is amusing watching the naïve Croods barely managing to stay alive.

As well as having great chemistry, the film also looks extremely lush. The setting of an alternative Age means that colours and creations explode onto the screen. The makers have created many made up animals for the film that look brilliant in BluRay and are different from the norm – almost Suessian. Voice acting wise the cast do well, even Nicholas Cage seems to fit as the father. He is able to bring a bit of depth to the character which makes the finale far more powerful than it deserves to be. It is these final 20 minutes or so that really make the film as the relationships in the family are truly tested. It is credit to the film makers that you care about the Croods and their happiness. With some great action set pieces and humour thrown in, this is the type of quality CGI film that both children and adults can enjoy.

As mentioned the visuals are spectacular and would really benefit from being in HD. There are several versions of the film available; the one I saw had a fair few decent extras that covered several areas of making the film, as well as some fun activities for younger viewers.

5.0 out of 5 stars FEAR KEEPS US ALIVE, 22 April 2013
This review is from: The Croods [Blu-ray] [2013] (Blu-ray)
This is an animated tale of a teen girl and her natural desire to explore the world and the angst that it causes the father who wants to keep the family safe in a cave...in this case it is not a metaphor. Emma Stone was perfect for our on screen teen girl Eep, complete with her signature cracking voice. The world around them is falling apart and their only chance for survival is to follow the new Guy (Ryan Reynolds) to the objection of Grug (Nicolas Cage).

In spite of what sounds like an adult theme, it is aimed at the kids. The comedy is slapstick and simple jokes. The animals are wildly colorful so as to not be frightening as they chase humans. As an adult I didn't find the film boring, yet its lack of depth allowed me to have frequent breaks and not miss any plot points. Eep provides girls with a positive role model, something that is becoming the norm in these animated sagas.

Cloris Leachman played the voice of Gran, most likely because Betty White was too busy playing football. Great film for the kids, so-so for adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely awesome, 3 April 2013
This review is from: The Croods [Blu-ray] [2013] (Blu-ray)
Animation is breathtaking. The opening scene is mesmerising. The humour flows from one scene to the next. There is laughter, sadness, tension and joy.
One of the best films of the year so far. Definite ten out of ten. I would say that younger viewers may get scared, so be careful to sit with the little ones as the end scenes approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice and Interesting Subject, 1 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Croods (Amazon Instant Video)
Allah Almighty has created all human being free and equal. We should not have to act or imitate to make a living in the society. If somebody does not appreciate our truthfulness, honesty, straightforwardness, boldness, and decency then we should reject them before they reject us. A girl should not require a "Guy" to guide her to the stars like a saint. Every girl in the world just like the "guys" should have the required freedom of mind to rise to the stars on her own without any expectation from a "guy" taking care of her. We cannot allow ourselves to be contained by fear, just as we cannot allow ourselves to be driven by fear. We got to have a mind free of all fear, greed, lust, or hatred; and try and reach out to the stars ourselves. We need to leave everybody alone to be whatever they want to be, just as we should ensure that others leave us alone to be whatever we want to be. Freedom of mind is a prerequisite to protection of honour, dignity, self-respect, and pride that define us as a human being as well as defines our boundaries and arms us with the required modesty that protects us from abuse and exploitation. A childish concept, but it is only meant for children in any case. Otherwise very interesting and eye-catching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must see for all the family!, 3 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Croods [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
This film, to start with, is a great family which I believe the whole family will enjoy.
I went to see this film in the cinema with my three other friends (aged between 17 and 20!) We all thought this film was one of the best animated films we have seen! I thought the plot was great and I especially like the banter between the dad and the gran which is on going throughout the film. There is a lot of humour, thrilling and emotional moments which makes it a great family film.
I have rated this 5 stars because I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be pre-ordering it so I can watch it again and again!

5.0 out of 5 stars an enjoyable family film, 10 April 2013
This review is from: The Croods [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I took my 6 year old son to see this and we both enjoyed it. It had plenty of action, lovable characters, plenty of laughs and a good storyline. I wouldnt compare this at all to Ice Age 4, in fact I enjoyed it better than that and Im 32.
I would recommend this to everyone from age 4-100. If you havent seen it, then go, you will enjoy it. Ill definitly get this on DVD when it comes out!

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT MOVIE, 28 July 2013
This review is from: The Croods [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
This movie is a funny and is also a touching movie. It has a great story to it and Nicholas Cage blew me away. There is a great selection of characters and by far the funniest was Belt.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Croods, 10 April 2015
T. Cosens (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Croods [Blu-ray] [2013] (Blu-ray)

It starts off with a short set up and then gets straight into the action. It pretty much doesnt stop for breath from there. Following a family of cavemen that are scared of everything and never venture from the small area they call home you can pretty much guess the story as it comes. However the action beats and comedic touches littered throughout help elevate any boredom.

If anything it may be a touch too long and a couple of members of the family are only there to add a little comedy and not much else but all in all a very enjoyable film. Certainly worth a rewatch!

The Croods [Blu-ray] [2013]
The Croods [Blu-ray] [2013] by Chris Sanders (Blu-ray - 2013)