5.0 out of 5 stars Stay in the cave!
Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Thought this was fairly disappointing. Had high hopes but as we watched it, I started thinking about what groceries to get for the week ahead (always a bad sign!). The trailer showed all the best bits really. This one was not for me.
Published 15 days ago by LB

5.0 out of 5 stars Stay in the cave!, 25 Mar 2013
Amazon Customer "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Croods [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Took my 47 year old, to quench her need for to see a `cutesy' prehistoric animation, I must say I was pleasantly surprised the film was rather good. The narrative is engaging and the animation is some the best I have seen lately. As another reviewer has said the story is quite funny in the way it deals with fear of the unknown, being alone and life in general when you trying just to survive to the next day. Your inner child should really like this film, well worth a very good five stars. I must say my 47 year old was very well behaved!

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradies galore, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Croods [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Loved this film, funny, serious, warm. Paradies almost every aspect of family life. I dare you to not recognise someone you know in each character, especially Eep. Good all round family film and a must for christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for Everyone!, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Croods [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I took my family to see this film - age range of 9-65 and everyone came out saying how much they had enjoyed it. We have seen loads of animated films and thought we had seen it all, but this proved we haven't. There is plenty to be amused by and the story is interesting - the scene when the family are introduced to fire is really funny (the character is advised to hide from it in the tall dry grass) but there is one scene involving the dad which is quite moving (my 10 year old was crying). The basic story is that our cave family is the only one left in the area and the father has taken an overly-cautious approach to life to keep the family safe making them spend a lot of time closed in their cave. The daughter is bored and frustrated and one night sneaks out of the cave and finds a boy who can make fire. He tells her the end of the world is coming and the action begins from there after the familys cave is destroyed. Should they trust the new boy and follow him to the mountains or keep with the fathers idea of finding a new cave to hide in? The ensuing journey has plenty of ups and downs along the way and there's the message about sometimes taking risks in life to make it better. Visually the film is stunning, the animation is fantastic and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for everyone!!!, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Croods [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Great story eye popping 3D brilliant animation and amazing characters. I would review it 100/10!!!!!!! Looking forward for getting it for christmas.And what's with the late release

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film for all but the very young, 17 Jan 2014
Mr. R. Hitchins "Techie" (Costa Blanca, Spain) - See all my reviews
I am not surprised this is nominated for an Oscar. Good story and great effects; however, as it is a story of caveman survival, it does have some scary moments, so I would not recommend for very young children. The 3D Blu Ray worked well on my Philips player, which has the latest firmware. Together with my HD600 projector and 3D LX, this gave a prefect performance that even my wife enjoyed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely awesome, 3 April 2013
Animation is breathtaking. The opening scene is mesmerising. The humour flows from one scene to the next. There is laughter, sadness, tension and joy.
One of the best films of the year so far. Definite ten out of ten. I would say that younger viewers may get scared, so be careful to sit with the little ones as the end scenes approach.

4.0 out of 5 stars FEAR KEEPS US ALIVE, 22 April 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is an animated tale of a teen girl and her natural desire to explore the world and the angst that it causes the father who wants to keep the family safe in a cave...in this case it is not a metaphor. Emma Stone was perfect for our on screen teen girl Eep, complete with her signature cracking voice. The world around them is falling apart and their only chance for survival is to follow the new Guy (Ryan Reynolds) to the objection of Grug (Nicolas Cage).

In spite of what sounds like an adult theme, it is aimed at the kids. The comedy is slapstick and simple jokes. The animals are wildly colorful so as to not be frightening as they chase humans. As an adult I didn't find the film boring, yet its lack of depth allowed me to have frequent breaks and not miss any plot points. Eep provides girls with a positive role model, something that is becoming the norm in these animated sagas.

Cloris Leachman played the voice of Gran, most likely because Betty White was too busy playing football. Great film for the kids, so-so for adults.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good story., 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Croods [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
This is a very good adventure of a caveman family and is really funny at times. The characters are well-thought out and each have their own appeal.

4.0 out of 5 stars towards the light, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Croods (DVD)
I did enjoy this film, much more them my kids, who are under 7, which leads me to believe that it is set for older kids probably over 10s. The animation is great as anyone would expect from Dreamworks. I liked the story as well. The only complaint I had about the film was that it did get a bit repetitive towards the middle of the film.

Meet the Croods the last surviving cavemen. They survive by following the rules fear everything, and stay in the cave as much as possible. This is fine for most of the family but Eep the older daughter has a natural sense of daring and adventure, one night leaving the cave Eep meets a guy called Guy, who is scrawny but inventive and survives by his intelligence rather than his strength. Guy tells Eep the world is going to end in earth quakes and volcanic explosions, and he is moving to higher ground towards the Sun. The father/leader of the Croods (Grub) has a natural dislike for Guy for two reasons one his daughter likes him, and two his ideas are inspiring the family to forget the most important rule of fearing everything. However Grub realises he need Guy if his family is to survive.

An enjoyable family film. With great characters and good character development, al little predictable but the animation and few funny one liners make up for this all in all a good film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must see for all the family!, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Croods [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
This film, to start with, is a great family which I believe the whole family will enjoy.
I went to see this film in the cinema with my three other friends (aged between 17 and 20!) We all thought this film was one of the best animated films we have seen! I thought the plot was great and I especially like the banter between the dad and the gran which is on going throughout the film. There is a lot of humour, thrilling and emotional moments which makes it a great family film.
I have rated this 5 stars because I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be pre-ordering it so I can watch it again and again!

The Croods [DVD] [2013]
The Croods [DVD] [2013] by Chris Sanders (DVD - 2013)