Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

on 5 December 2012
Lenovo Ideapad Z580 15.6 inch laptop - Red (Intel Core i7 3520M 2.9GHz, 8Gb RAM, 750Gb HDD, DVD RW, Windows 8)

Absolutely brilliant laptop. Lightweight, powerful, fast and great looking.

I did a lot of shopping around before deciding on this laptop, ended up buying it from another site as they were advertising Lenovo's cashback deal on this model. So for around the £500 mark this is probably the best thing you can get pound for pound.

The sound quality with the Dolby Home Theatre is exceptional - watching movies and listening to music doesn't require a purchase of extra speakers, not tinny or flat at all. Warm, detailed surround sound.

Plays a wide variety of games on at least Medium/High settings without stuttering, and this is with the Intel HD 4000 integrated version! Not liquidy or jittery.

I use this for working from home and on the go, it travels well and is ready to go in an instant. I can have a bunch of different apps and browser windows open, alongside spreadsheets and Photoshop CS6, and it runs smoothly and quietly.
Keeps cool and I can run it for a good 4 hours or so at full performance quality.

The resolution isn't perhaps as high as some other models in the same bracket but the visual quality is still really pleasing.

I love the performance and design of this laptop. Real value for money compared to other popular laptops.
on 16 April 2013
The Lenovo arrived super fast from Amazon's Free Delivery service. It was well packaged and everything was in place.

I am very pleased with the functioning of this laptop. The screen size is great (having previously used a notebook for a long time); there are some touch icons at the top to control volume. The fan is at the side which is great as the underneath does not get overheated especially if on a person's lap. The touchpad takes a bit of getting used to if you are not familiar with it although the two finger scrolling is very useful. The speed is good (although this is generally the case for new laptops) and I would expect this to continue with this laptop's i7 processor. The battery life is good too, about 5 1/2 hours. It goes to sleep quickly on closing the screen and is easy to wake.

Because the touchpad is slightly to the left (that is, not centred), a left-handed person might find that they touch off it more than they mean to.

The laptop comes with Windows 8 which takes a bit of getting used to. My main issues is that the touchpad sensitivity often results in the charm bar or previously opened tiles appearing when you are in the middle of a desktop job. However, this is something that you can learn to get around and there is also touchpad sensitivity which can be altered.

All in all, a great buy (touch wood!)
on 27 March 2013
So far this has proved to be a really nice product. Nice clear and large screen, fab keyboard feel and smart overall look. As per several of the other reviews we read, the mouse pad is very sensitive and takes a bit of getting used to, particularly with Windows 8. I am using a wireless mouse now, so it is not a problem.
It had a small problem with loading updates to W8, hopefully this will go away.
Loaded other MS products, which all went ok.
Overall I would say good value for money.
on 1 July 2013
Great laptop!!! I found none of the issues that other reviews have commented on. My internet connection is better than my last laptop!!! Screen glare what screen glare? Tilt your screen or dont shine a light on it!!! This product gives the same spec as a MacBook Pro +2GB Graphics card, for half the price of a Mac. I will admit however, the touch pad does get a little annoying but the key is just learning to use it more efficiently.

Reading all the reviews you would believe as I did that Windows 8 was a hindrance, however, for some things like email and facebook I have found it helpful. When I want to get back to the desktop design it is but a click of a button. I think getting rid of the start button was a mistake, but there is a folder button that essentially acts as the start button.

All in all great spec for cheap, fast as lightning, great battery life (play fm2013 for 3hrs, light use for 6hrs), sound quality - standard, slightly annoying touchpad, keyboard design has made me quicker at typing, fan vent at side not back so your legs dont burn.
on 11 May 2013
I ordered this core i7 Lenovo laptop for my business, to replace an aging Dell. The laptop looks just beautiful, feels light, and seems to be very well build. Certainly better than some I have seen elsewhere. I love the colour, and it doesn't seem to show fingerprints too much. The keyboard is just beautiful, lovely key action and nice secure feel to them. The sound is absolutely the best I have ever heard from a laptop. The screen display and resolution, glare, etc is superb too, and its very quiet. It just works!. It came preloaded with Win8 (yuk!). What I did not like about it is the pre-configured settings that prompt you to use a Microsoft account, but that was easily sorted. I installed some new software on it and it seems to work as it should.
Its early days yet, but I was so impressed with this laptop that I bought another one for my daughter, albeit with a less powerful processor to suit her needs. Highly recommended.
on 31 May 2013
I did heavy research before purchasing a new laptop, eventually I chose the Lenovo because: 1. It had the best combination of processor / RAM and price, 2. It was attractive - I could pick white instead of endless grey!

It is incredibly fast and responsive, and while it is taking me a while to come to terms with using Windows 8 on a non-touchscreen facility, that is my issue, not the laptops!

This Lenovo has basically modelled itself on a mac - the keyboard is mac-like and very easy to use/clean.

The HUGE plus for me is the crystal clear Dolby sound system - playing music and movies is a pleasure. The only down point is the inbuilt microphone is a bit weak - so I have to sit close during Skype calls.

But, the processor / RAM to cost ratio is so excellent that I couldn't not recommend it. For the mac equivalent I would've had to pay £1500 instead of the £580 for the Lenovo!
on 24 April 2013
this may be my last gadget, lol, this laptop is ace. Simple, clean lines, good value for money and does it all. It is really is so easy to find your way around and no, I don't have shares. I am a 65 yr old grandmother and if I can do it any one can. Love this laptop, the Dolby home theater is fantastic.
on 30 September 2013
Searched for hours for a decent laptop upgrade as my other one was getting old. I wanted something with a powerful processor, good graphics card, and high gb in ram memory. This laptop matched my search, after doing alot of research on this laptop, i found out that it beats the Toshiba i7 range aswell as the Acer and Fujitsu. It really is fast, loads up a youtube video in just seconds, and plays high end game such as Grand Theft Auto IV and Battlefield 3, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Just Cause 2, Medal of Honour and many more! Most of the games run at medium settings with a frame rate of about 30 for each (Which is outstanding for a budget laptop). If you're looking for a top spec laptop for a decent price then choose this Lenovo! Is so attractive also, keys are spaced well and the Audio sounds outstanding with the Dolby Digital drivers pre-installed. The Ge-Force graphics really gives this laptop alot of power, love it to peices.
Marc.
on 11 August 2013
So I ended up buying the i7 (3rd gen), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, 2GB NVIDIA version. Have been using the laptop for a few weeks now and it is amazing to use. Fast boot up from sleep (though the boot up time could be much better from complete shut down).

Pros:

USB 3.0 ports are very handy.
Impressive speaker system for a laptop.
Can run games like Skyrim at medium settings very smoothly and sports games at high settings.
Takes a long time to heat up even with constant use (e.g. Photoshop, gaming)
Smooth trackpad (though I do use a wireless mouse for most things).

Cons (or things that I would have happily paid more for if they had been included):

Screen resolution could be much better and the screen could have better viewing angles.
Needs higher screen brightness at times.
Lots and lots of bloatware that took some time to uninstall.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 May 2014
This replaces my old laptop, and I never thought I would be able to get the spec I wanted for the price I could afford. It seems I could, just to put up with a few scratches. Had some sticky moments with installing all the updates required, and of course immediately installed Windows 8.1, but so far all good!

There are two small gripes I have. The first is the Shift button on the keyboard. It is too small and gets very frustrating when you are trying to type a capital letter and your cursor suddenly moves to the line above! And the other thing is the 'Intelligent Touchpad'. I think it is too intelligent for me, and to use it all the time would possibly end up with an argument. Already had a wireless mouse from the old laptop, so that solves the problem nicely, and occasional use of the touchpad no longer causes me to scream!

See one answered question