on 20 April 2013
I still, and I suppose I never will, know if the combi-oven I received was faulty or not.
Delivery excellent; packing, ditto.
First test - yes I did read the manual - is nearly always something simple and I am afraid my horse fell at the first fence because I wanted toast. My last combi (grill) would produce perfect, brown crispy on the outside toast in 3 mins the first side, two and a half mins the second side. As the instruction book gives no suggested timings for anything, even grilling toast involved bending over peering through the door waiting for the colour of the bread to change.
After five mins, first side, I turned the lightly browned bread over, and waited another six mins before browning occurred. Result? Crispbread that shattered at a touch and was completely unspreadable with butter.

No matter. Tested other functions that evening and have to admit it produced wonderful fresh-spud chips although they did stick fast to the browning tray. Probably my fault. Tested grill later with browning the top of bread-crumbed cauliflower cheese. Again, no browning although the oven did produce a dried out, almost plastic effect and cooked the sauce to a hard gloss.
Now I used my old combi-oven a lot. I hardly ever turn on the big oven, so I am used to the various option in combination, and what they can, and cannot do. I was prepared for the baffling user manual. I could cope with that - I hoped. I carried on cooking as normal.

Every test involving the grill failed my expectations. Everything else worked like a dream. A smashing oven except I do like my toast at regular intervals and I do not see why I should buy a separate toaster - as suggested by one genius during the telephone marathon that followed. You cannot shove cauliflower cheese into a toaster.

I tried to find out what the typical benchmarks were for the grill and could not. The Whirlpool people on the help-desk were very nice/sympathetic. No complaints there, but they did not have any idea of technical issues and had no way of contacting anyone who did know. Nobody ever called back. Every call I had to start from scratch. The only suggestion was: 'call out an engineer.'
By day five I lost my temper - probably through toast deprivation - and decided to return the beasty. I had had enough. Other, small faults were now magnified in my mind until all I could see were the bad points and to hell with the good.
The inside filled with steam. The crisping tray had a big dent in it. It was BIG!

I bought a different combi-oven from a local dealer (same price as Amazon) which produces morning toast at two and three quarters and two fifteen, browns toppings, makes chips and has a wonderfully fast defrost option and I am happy now.

Perhaps I had been hasty. Perhaps I should have called out the local engineer, but all they were interested in was making a home call and 'if it's your own fault you have to pay us £££ and have you read the manual?'
Yes, and a fat lot of good it did me.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again