4.0 out of 5 stars This is the sock book for beginners!!
Published on 29 Oct. 2008 by Z. J. Dashell-Adams

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you've never knitted socks
I am currently on my first pair of socks and got this book for christmas. It is nice enough, but feels almost too basic. All the patterns are for cuff down socks, with heel flaps. It does deal with using different weights of yearn, and also adding pattern and texture etc., but I did hope that there might have been a toe up sock in there and some short row heels. I will...
Published on 27 Dec. 2007 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the sock book for beginners!!, 29 Oct. 2008
If you've never knitted socks before and have been afraid of even trying - and you find the idea of using double-pointed needles rather daunting? Then fear no more, as this book guides you through sock knitting and also teaches you about using the circular needle if that is your preference. So if you get any comments from reviewers who are experienced knitters moaning that it is too basic, take note of the title: Getting started, says it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative and recomended, 6 Aug. 2011
A very helpful book with plenty of information and versatility.
I was a competent knitter of many years but completely new to sock knitting using DPN's or circular needles but this book has given me the confidence and inspiration to try new things, and has answers many questions arising along the way.
In the short time I've had it its already becoming 'dogeared' and to me that speaks volumes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Geting Started Knitting Socks, 29 Mar. 2009
Shirley Isaacs (London UK) - See all my reviews
This is an absolutely great first sock book and one I keep referring to for my basic sock pattern. There are patterns for the gauge of yarn you have in your yarn stash so you can always find a pattern - and all the other information you may need, including lacey patterns, cable etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've never knitted socks before...this is the book to buy!, 30 Jan. 2012
I am a complete beginner at knitting and found all sock patterns incomprehensible. So why did I want to knit socks? I like a challenge and was determined to master this skill! I borrowed books, read patterns and looked at video clips on the internet before finally ordering this book by Ann Budd - and it is really fantastic! It is exactly what it says on the tin - a basic guide to getting started knitting socks. The author describes all the various knitting stages extremely clearly and provides photographs of every stage. Everything you will need is here - from various types of casting on to turning the heel, and knitting the toe.

This book recommends using 3 needles to hold the stitches and one to knit with (total of 4). This is very important as some books argue for using 5 needles in total which makes things more difficult and you need to be an octopus with 8 arms to keep track of your knitting!

This book also has a sock pattern for every thickness of yarn (in US and UK phraseology)plus some simple patterns to try once you become more proficient!

The close up photograhs are better than many other books as they show the knitting process in simple stages. There are also some good hints and tips in call out boxes amongst the general text - how to measure feet, how to stop socks falling down etc.

I would certainly recommend this book to beginners - I have managed to knit my first pair of socks using Ann's excellent instructions and am now in danger of becoming a sock bore!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic. at last one that teaches and guides etc., 25 Aug. 2010
VenusSpecimen (south east, u.k) - See all my reviews
a brilliant book. from total beginner knitting (and yes i really mean that) and easily ideal through to absolute pro. i have several sock books but have to recommend this one as being the be all and end all and the only one any knitter will ever need. genuinely you'll not be disappointed in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even I can knit socks now!, 15 Dec. 2011
Despite having been a fairly confident and competent knitter for years, I had never cast on using the 'thumb method', knitted 'in the round' or 'turned a heel' before as all of these techniques sounded a bit scary. As someone who is quite clumsy I was convinced I would at least have an eye out if I tried knitting with more that 2 needles. However the instructions and illustrations were so easy to follow it seemed that I had made my first pair of socks in no time at all and not only are they very cozy and comfy, more surprisingly they even look like socks.
My only slight reservation is that in places it would have been even simpler for me if I had UK translations of some US terms/phrases/sizing but that is just me being lazy...Overall I definitely recommend ths book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Socks? Sorted!, 6 July 2011
I'd been wanting to try knitting socks for a while but couldn't afford a class and didn't want to bother more experienced knitters with my silly questions. This book was the perfect solution. I bought it based on all the 5* reviews, and I'm very glad I did.

Ann Budd is clear, concise, helpful and friendly in tone. There are lots of pictures showing things like flexible casting on (two techniques), joining the round (three techniques), and picking up the heel flap stitches, etc.

I now understand the basic architecture of a sock, and the whole process has been demystified. Something that seemed really daunting to me is now completely do-able.

My only caveat is that British knitters buying this book should be aware it uses American terminology, and uses four double-pointed needles rather than the continental five. But that's fine because using four instead of five double-pointed needles actually simplifies things for the inexperienced knitter. There are also instructions for knitting on circular needles too.

The book is called "Getting Started...." and it has certainly got me started. I would recommend it to every knitter wanting to knit socks but feeling a bit daunted at the prospect. After being guided through the process with the help of this book, you'll be knitting enough socks to free all the house-elves at Hogwarts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent "encyclopedia" to start knitting socks, 18 April 2011
I. Martins (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This book contains everything you need to know to start knitting socks, from choosing the yarn, the gauge, the needles and even some interesting patterns to embellish the ankle. For me, it has been perfect to understand everything I needed to start knit my socks, because it has very simple instructions and accessible language.
However, I recommend starting to knit socks only to someone who has already some experience in knitting, especially knitting in rounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knitting socks by Ann Budd, 23 Dec. 2011
Gilly "Gilly" (Belper, England) - See all my reviews
Over the last 6 months I have purchased numerous balls of sock wool,sets of needles in different gauges and several sock patterns only to be baffled by them. I am an experienced knitter of 59 and generally can sort a pattern out but socks appeared to be my Waterloo! I had purchased this book as a last resort, I have borrowed different books on sock knitting from my library and couldn't get started with them. However this book is a brilliant introduction to sock knitting,it has good basic instructions in various plys and once the basics are mastered there are more adventurous patterns to move on to. I have turned my heel on my first pair of socks tonight and I'm looking forward to shaping the toes the day after tomorrow. My son is cheering on my progress from the sidelines as he has got his request in for a pair to fit his size 14 feet to be the next pair to be knit. The only minor niggle with this book is that the shoe sizes are given in the American size and the yarn terms are mostly American,not every knitter understands that fingering is 4ply, though a tension square would sort that out. Probably the best book on the market today to start sock knitting with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely solid on the basics, 23 Sept. 2011
I'm a near-complete beginner knitter, and for me this book was almost perfect; it covers the basics with diagrams and detailed explanations, allowing you to see how things are done and what they should look like, and the pros and cons of using DPNs, two circles, or magic loop. My one disappointment is that it focuses entirely on top-down socks; I can see why they might have wanted to avoid confusing complete sock novices, but it would have been nice to at least be introduced to the concept.