5.0 out of 5 stars At last - cardigans for 'Free Fronters', 25 Jan 2012
It's not that often that you get your hands on a book with more than a couple of useful patterns in it. I've already knitted two cardigans and am midway up a third with a fourth, a pair of gloves and a lovely shoulder shawl which is going to come in handy for reading in bed. At last, someone who knows that people don't always want to button up their cardigans and come in all different shapes and sizes.

The patterns are very wearable - nice twists of travelling stitches, baby cables, sleeves constructed with short rows from the shoulders downwards - very few (if any) seams - sleeves that actually fit into the armholes, front borders knitted-as-you-go, collars that sit like collars should .. OK. I love the book. Go and buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid book, but not great, 22 Dec 2011
jazzy pom "jazzypom" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Connie Chiang Chinchio is known for her textured stitches, fine gauge yarn (she loves a good fingering and dk weight), and simple, elegant shapes. Ms Chinchio's patterns are defined by neat, elegant shapes - a hoodie that's more like a fashion accessory than something to shrug into before walking the dog- or inspired twists- like folds in lace weight to create a cardigan with a singular aesthetic.

This book shows off Ms Chinchio's strengths - the afore mentioned elegant shapes, interesting stitches that look like etchings in stocking stitch, and an affinity for working in fine weight yarn. Compared to a fair few of her peers who pretty much work in aran and chunky as a given, Chinchio stands out for eschewing that path. The weaknesses are there too, I think, in that the flair and detail for garments in jewelled semi solid garments don't really stand out as much when it comes to accessories. There's a sweet knitted headband, and a cute hat. But the design for the shawl doesn't really work (it's not outstanding, it's just there ), and the gloves aren't distinct enough to warrant me breaking out the needles.

A few of the garments are standouts, like the Intaglio top (on the cover, amazing), the tulip henley (so sweet) and the raindrop cardigan. The other garments - I'll have to wait how they fit other people before I can even comment.

The patterns are clearly written (I don't know about errors), and the book is nicely presented. I can't say I've come away with any specific insights re tension for textured stitches, but perhaps I've missed it. Yarn wise, there's a lot of tightly spun wool yarns (madelinetosh, lorna's laces), and yarn substitutions for us on this side of the pond is a given. For example, the henley top is a cotton/linen blend, I might just use a bamboo/woolen blend (80/20) or see what transpires.

Technique wise, she knits her sleeves (even inset ones) topdown, and tends to like seaming, for the structure when it comes to certain yarns.

I'd say, get this book if you like Ms Chinchio's work if you like working in fine gauge fabrics with a bit of a twist. Avoid if you like chunky aesthetics and work to be finished immediately. Buy it because in certain circles she's seen as Norah Gaughan's successor ((blasphemy, I say), but avoid it if you prefer cute to the cunning understatement.

Overall, I give it a 4 because the designs are a tad uneven, but the presentation is quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice patterns, 23 Feb 2012
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
20 great patterns for the contemporary knitter. I love texture and would knit several of these - the favourites being the Gioielli gloves, Raindrop cardigan and Tulip Henley. Two niggles - one there are no patterns for overall texture - the texture is confined to certain areas of the item. Two, I found the shapes a little boring, it's all classic straight up and down, no innovative shaping or anything. Good everyday knitwear that everyone can knit and wear. This review first appeared on yarnsandfabrics website.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very appealing pattern book, 26 Feb 2013
Iwas very pleased with this book as I especially like finer knitting. In spite of being American in format,it is accessible to a confirmed European knitter . Although I have knitted for 50 years I still found something new and helpful. Unlike a lot of other knitting books ALL the patterns are are interesting and tempting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and different knitwear, 28 Dec 2012
Chose this book when I was browsing Amazon's website. Thought it looked interesting and a little different to the everyday knitting books. I have loved browsing through it and am planning a number of projects for 2013 to be ready for the Autumn and winter. I would certainly show it to my friends who enjoy knitting as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Connie Chang Chinchio, 27 Jun 2014
This book is different. Never heard of designer before but will keeps look out for her. These knits are sophisticated and I think I will start with the shawl ready for the chilly nights. A test of a good pattern book is when you see more than two items you would love to knit, I have seen several and think I will make my next project something for me instead of the grandchildren