5.0 out of 5 stars A fine prospect
Undoubtedly this is a remarkable book and not at all what I was expecting as I first picked it up. I would recommend that the reader cast aside any preconceived ideas about this author and about the mid-Victorian era in which his story takes place, because this book really does have a very modern feel and a very accessible and easy prose and dialogue.

The...
Published on 29 April 2005 by SAP

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad translation
This is a good novel but an appalling translation. The defective language ranges from the grammatically incorrect to the virtually incomprehensible (I only found out what the question "Do you funk the police office?" was supposed to mean when I checked another edition). More generally, it is a jarring and clumsy read. By all means buy Crime and Punishment, but if you...
Published on 15 April 2007 by M. Scully

2.0 out of 5 stars Over rated, 3 Nov 2009
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'm afraid I'm one of the naysayers on this one. A depressing book with a set of characters that are constantly on the edge of a breakdown. Long rambling dialogue that to my mind is repetative and tiresome. The anti hero is a pathetic creature who in my opinion inspires no concern whatsoever. A page turner it isn't. Give me Dickens or Melville any day for authors of that era.

1.0 out of 5 stars This does not have the picture of people in snow ..., 19 July 2014
This does not have the picture of people in snow on the cover but instead an inane painting of someone presumably meant to look distraught and guilty. He doesn't, he just looks inane - .. we just wanted to fall about laughing seeing it lying about.. so it went to the charity shop. I am ordering a different edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 21 May 2012
No problems, arrived on time and very cheap compared to other books. Page and print quality is fine. If you just want to read the book then it is fine. If you are looking for a book with A class paper and hardback cover by other publishers, don't read the book in the first place.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love and God show the way, 6 Dec 2009
Officer Dibble (Zummerzet) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
No attempt at a thesis here. This is a very good book but, in truth, not one I would put in the 'have to read before you die' category. Reading it was like being a coal miner waiting to discover that rich seam and then moving on again.

I read the Penguin Classic version which was very enjoyable as a non-Russian speaking layman. My small quibble was with the phrase to 'step across' as used for Raskolnikov's motivation. It somehow didn't seem to hit the spot.

The other main satisfaction was that we have here a novel about crime that actually dealt with the working class. Having read so much Golden Age stuff I had begun to imagine all authors and criminals went to public school and lived in Surrey.

Watch my rating collapse as I agree with others that it is too long. Also after 633 pages why do you need an epilogue?

5.0 out of 5 stars "The worlds greatest murder story", 8 Jan 2009
Beatnik (Diss, Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
His best novel, better than 'The Brothers Karamazov' this is nihilism at its best; deeply intense and masterful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and moody, 25 Mar 2002
By A Customer
A throughly gripping story from the very start as we follow our hero or maybe antihero through his delirious ramblings in the gutters of 19th century St.Petersburg and on in to the psycology of right & wrong the blind faith of the church or the naive politics of the early communists ending in an explosive finale

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm a cynic, 1 Oct 2006
Mr. D. J. Read (Alnwick, Northumberland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Now, I would just like to point something out so this review is not too harshly judged, I read this of my own volition, and with no other purpose than to enjoy what I hoped would be a satisfying story. I did not read this as material for any course, nor am I a literary critic of any note.
That said, I feel it fails at the fundamentals of what a story should be about. Sure, we sympathise with our anti hero, who for some reason feels compelled to commit murder for the sole reason of seeing if he can get away with it.
But the tale becomes so dreary and chlaustrophobic, and Raskolnikov becomes so wrapped up himself we are treated to too much internal reflection. I'm sure it is a commentary on many aspects of life, but of what worth is this, if the story cannot hold the reader to deliver such things. This book, for me, is outdated and irrelevant, and Im sure I will incur the wrath of the purists for that statement.
But, dear reader, consider this. You are considering buying this, right? Hence you're reading a review on it. If it is part of a course for you, or you have an inflated opinion of your own intellectual faculties, buy it with my blessing and gibber on to your friends about how sophisticated you are to have read this. But, if, like me, you are looking for a good novel with some value for a more casual reader, steer well clear, and by doing so distance yourself from the pretentious crowd.
p.s the revolution against over generous reviewers gathers pace

5.0 out of 5 stars Few can compare, 11 Aug 1998
By A Customer
Quite simply and to the point, Crime and Punishment is one of the best books ever written in history of the world.

4.0 out of 5 stars a glance at the emotional weight of trying to change society, 22 July 2000
By A Customer
Raskolinikov - a student - lives in the belief that there are two types of people; the leaders and the followers. Burning with insecurities about himself, he is compelled to prove to himself that he can be a leader of men. Treading on the path of social morality and injustices, he believes that he has the right to take life in order to improve life. His actions prove to him that he cannot bear the weight of such a path - killing in a delerious frenzy - and he tumbles helplessly down a mountain of guilt. This guilt becomes so strong that he tries to aleviate the pain by telling someone. What troubles him more is his realisation that to live this life he has to be able to die for it - something that he finds he cannot do - eventually understanding that he only lives - as most seem to do - because he is afraid of dying.

2.0 out of 5 stars VERY DISAPPOINTING, 4 Dec 2008
Very disappointing. Far too drawn out in quite a few places. Was well into it in parts and nodding off in others.

A great idea, but a little clumsy and clunky in execution.