on 15 March 2014
I was initially intrigued by this book. The idea of an embalmer in ancient Egypt using their skills to solve crime seemed like a good premise. Tie that in with a gem smuggling operation and it would seem like one has a good plot in hand. However, it was the execution that let this book down. None of the problems with the book were huge issues, they were all small niggles, but together they added up. The text is peppered with grammatical errors, misspellings, and even the spellings of characters' names changes throughout. This is rather distracting, and doesn't exactly look professional.

The author seems to have fallen into the trap of trying too hard to avoid using the word "said". Characters too often "demanded", "challenged", "professed", "deadpanned", "decreed" and so on. Sometimes they "challenged" or "professed" three or four times in just a couple of paragraphs. This sticks out like a sore thumb precisely because those words are not frequently used, and thus appear strangely overused here.

Speaking of the dialogue, it felt a little off. Characters persistently said things such as "not really", "sure", and "are you okay" was so overused, every other scene seemed to have "are you okay". It's not glaringly anachronistic, but "okay" just doesn't feel like it belongs in the mouths of ancient Egyptian characters, especially when it only came into common use in the 19th century. It just feels too typically modern.

The antagonists were a little too villainous. Beating servants, throwing screaming fits in front of strangers, utterly without scruples, lacking any redeeming points whatsoever.

The mystery is given away too early. There's a scene written from the perspective of the unknown murderer, and whilst the murderer isn't named his thoughts and actions make it perfectly clear who it is. This came at 41% into the book. This is too soon, it gives the game away too early. Tension needed to be built higher by waiting to reveal this twist. The pacing felt a little off too, talking about how the reveal occurred too early and tension needed to be built.

It all felt a bit too slapdash and unpolished, is how I would sum up the issues in this book. Good idea, but unpolished execution.
on 22 March 2013
I love historical fiction, especially Egyptian fiction. The title of this was intriguing, so I downloaded it, looking forward to a good read.

Honestly it was a complete waste of my money. There was no time to build up any atmosphere before the first dramatic moment happened. There were grammar and spelling mistakes. There were numerous historical inaccuracies. It felt rushed, there was no real flow. Words were repeated, used out of context or used without need throughout.

It was incredibly disappointing, because actually the story line itself had potential.
on 7 November 2013
This book is a version of a book I downloaded last year called 'The Mummy Maker's Daughter' by Jens E. Huebner. I gave that two stars, not for the story, but for the writing method, it going from past to present tense within a sentence or paragraph. I also commented on how the story didn't make the space of time covered very clear.

I downloaded this version in the hope of getting a more rounded story. It isn't. It is okay, but the characters in the original were far more interesting, with a lot more background information about them. I found this version weak. I guess I would have enjoyed it more had I not read the other book, so many readers will undoubtedly disagree with me, and you won't be able to make the comparison as the Jens Heubner version is no longer available.

I am guessing that there could be a sequel at some point, but I'm not sure that I would read it.
on 18 February 2014
Thought that reading the reviews that this would be quite good. However, once having gotten into the books they came out to be a "wishy washy" for me and I didn't enjoy them as much as books I have read on similar subjects, not for me....!!!!!
on 26 February 2013
I don't normally take such time to write a review but this book certainly deserved one! I've never been to Egypt, but the writer Nathaniel Burns made me feel immersed in its rich culture and diversity in this dramatic adventure which kept me starring at my kindle whenever I could grab five minutes! I don't usually read a book so quickly; I have a few already on my kindle. Some date back from two years which I still haven't finished. But The Mummifier's Daughter was a rollercoaster journey that kept me guessing with every twist and turn! I chose it as I wanted something a bit different to my usual choices, what child and adult alike is not fascinated by ancient Egypt. I wasn't expecting it to be the first one I have finished on my Kindle in the shortest amount of time in the last decade!!! It isn't a short book, it's simply testament to the gripping tale!

Within five minutes I was immersed in the world of ancient Egypt with the rich, colourful imagery painted through the words that made me feel like I was there. Heti-Kerty, the main character drew me in and I truly cared about her, always important for me when reading. I kept thinking I knew what was going to happen next but I was kept surprised throughout. The entire book is filled with interesting characters and Nathanial Burns makes them feel they are as real as anybody you know.

The story tells the tale of a young girl, Neti-Kerty and a Prefect called Shabkah sent by the pharaoh Ramesses II. Neti is hated by the local people who believe her to be a witch as she is particularly amazing at working out how someone has died. Shabkah has been sent to investigate gems being indirectly stolen from the pharaoh and a romance brews between the two of them. In an exciting and dynamic tale the two are thrust into perils and dangers interwoven with murders, romance and tradition. I loved the authentic names such as Ma-Nefer, Pa Nasi, Marlep, and Tia-Ka to name but a few.

There are many themes running through the book simultaneously which keeps it dynamic and stimulating. It offers insights into everyday life, deals with racism in ancient Egypt and also looks at way the class system would have worked and order of governance and the power and control they had. It had a bit of everything I could have hoped for from talking about the Pharaoh Ramesses, interesting knowledge and insight about hieroglyphs and the use of scrolls. Most fascinating to me was the incredible information about how the dead were handled, the detailing was amazing and mummification is always a keen favourite area in the study of ancient Egypt.

Even though the story was set all that time ago, you felt in part that it could be today with the undercurrent throughout the story of peoples differences and distrust in them. If you want to know what happens to Neti-Kerty and want to experience a uniquely excellent read you must read this book, at £1.99 my Costa Coffee cost me more this morning! Absolute bargain... hoping there's a sequel. Think I may have found one of my top favourite authors!
on 21 August 2015
The storyline has some merit but the quality of writing makes it a chore to read. The typo errors become increasingly irksome. There are many better written books to read than this. Sorry I wasted my money!
on 24 March 2013
I find ancient Egyptian history fascinating and this novel exploring one intriguing facet of the time - mummification - is illuminating on the whys and wherefores of how it was carried out. It also paints a absorbing picture of every day life at this time. You get the feeling it could turn into a series with Neti-Kerty being the pathologist and Shabkah the Egyptain detective, if so, hopefully the characters will become more well rounded.
on 14 December 2013
Having been raised in an era when the radio was king and hearing of Egyptologist opening tombs etc this ticks boxes.
I have enjoyed being taken to a time and place not normally associated with such mysteries.
I would certainly recommend this ebook.
on 11 September 2015
Interesting story, reasonable pace, easy to get into, enjoyed it and would recommend it BUT as has been said previously there are a lot of spelling errors which shouldn't be there, other problem it was too short
on 6 May 2013
A very unusual story, set in ancient Thebes. Full of twists and turns, I really enjoyed it and there is scope for a follow on. Would read that too if there is one. Recommended.