Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 5 July 2015
I love this movie. My friends don't, but I do, and by now I've seen it 12 times. I never get tired of it, because it's always an experience. The soundtracks, the filters, the hypnotic and dreamy nature of the lines delivered multiple times, draws me in and makes me feel like I'm there. And there's always something new to discover. A reference, more symbolism... I mean I still haven't figured out the meaning of the gunshots. This movie isn't for everyone, but it's for me. And the service was as good as I had expected, but that's because amazon is always great;D So five stars from here:)
on 16 November 2013
The plot - US college girls desperate to go on a Spring Break binge, rob a store and set off for outrageous fun. They end up involved in a massacre. Underneath however is a stylish, challenging film that deep down shows that what the girls really want is a life where they can be happy and content in everyday life. Deeply moving sequence when some of the girls ring home to talk to their 'mom' about coming home and returning to college, when they are about to descend into an orgy of mayhem. Filmed in bright colours that hide the darkness seducing the girls.
on 10 October 2014
Pretty good film, Very seedy little world that these girls come across, but they are more than up for the challenge. If this sort of thing happens on a regular basis - then look out! Great performance from James Franco - very versatile actor.
on 8 April 2014
Great fun and some gorgeous girls involved in holding up stores. There's a darker side to this but I really enjoyed it. Glamorous and fun.
on 22 July 2013
The Spring Breakers is loosely speaking a film about american college girls getting involved in a crime spree. However, the trailers are very misleading and Harmony Korine's film is really a sort of psychedelic eulogy to Girls Gone Wild, neon, dayglo, MTV, flesh, money, summer, and most of all the hedonism of the all American Spring Break. Weirdly, sometimes the images, music and themes combine to create an almost poetic air of melancholy.

I really liked the Spring Breakers despite having to be dragged to see it, others insist it's the worst film of the 2013.
on 16 July 2013
Spring Breakers is the story of four girls, Faith (Selena Gomez), Brit (Ashley Benson), Candy (Vanessa Hudgens), and Cotty (Rachel Korine), as they find they do not have enough money to go on their spring break as they wanted to do. After a successful robbery of a café, the girls set off for a holiday of sun, sand, and non-stop partying. However, after they're arrested, they're bailed out by local rapper and gangster Alien (James Franco), and soon get caught up in his world of crime.

Now, I am the first to admit when I first heard of this film, I had no intention of seeing it. It just seemed like a film celebrating spring break, a tradition that doesn't even exist in my country, and seemed to be nothing more than a movie in which popular 'nice girls' got a chance to get naked on camera. However, after it was released I started seeing verdicts from people saying it was actually really good. So it was with some interest that I saw Spring Breakers, a film that turned out to be one of the most surprising, not to mention one of the best, movies of 2013 so far.

First of all, the acting in this film is much better than I ever thought it could be. Having sat through the first and third High School Musicals, I have grown to dislike Vanessa Hudgens as an actress. I've had no previous experience seeing Selena Gomez, Ashley Benson, or Rachel Korine act, and I'm not the biggest fan of James Franco. While the girls don't have more character to play with beyond a couple of basic traits, they do very well with them, especially Selena Gomez, playing the naive Faith, who was probably the most interesting character in the whole film, and who is unfortunately under-used and doesn't have nearly enough screentime. But by far the star of the show is James Franco, who I normally find unbearably bland and uninteresting, pulls off the most entertaining aspect of the entire picture as Alien. Years from now, his performance will be described as iconic, but for now we'll have to stick with fantastic.

The main thing that Spring Breakers is about, I quickly discovered, is the direction and editing. The accentuated colours, the liberal use of slow-motion, and the quick cutting make for a rich and borderline hypnotic visual feast. This is one of the best looking films I've ever seen, and not in the way one would expect. Normally when doing a film with a subject matter like this, a director would go for a fun atmosphere, making the viewer feel like he or she is there in the party having a blast with everyone else. Spring Breakers is not like that. The atmosphere is bleak, hopeless, unsettling, and downright disturbing at times. This is helped all the more by the excellent soundtrack by dubstep musician Skrillex, whose work I'm not all that familiar with, but if it's like this, I might have to check it out. The film makes us detached from the fun, making us see that it isn't all harmless, and the aftermath is much more serious than we might realise at the time. You don't 'like' any of the people or their actions, but something about the way it's acted and directed make you constantly engaged in them.

Spring Breakers is a showcase of why film as a medium is so great. If this were a book, it wouldn't work at all. The story is thin on it's own, so much so that the Wikipedia plot synopsis is only about two paragraphs long. No, what makes this film so brilliant and engaging is the fact that it's a film. The visuals leap out at you, they draw you in, they entertain you, they horrify you, they show you the effects of the behaviour these girls exhibit not in a judgemental way, but in a passive way. Like saying, "here's what it's like, now make your mind up: do you want to be like this?" I don't know whether everyone will enjoy Spring Breakers, hell, I don't even know if I enjoyed it, but I do know that everyone needs to see it for the simple talent involved. I normally hesitate to use the word 'masterpiece' in reviews, because it seems like the highest compliment you can give something, but Spring Breakers is, without a shadow of a doubt, a masterpiece.
88 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2015
Never before mixed feeling applied so aptly! I am taking to write when there are already plenty of reviews because no-one seems to say how one one side, this movie is revolting: all the girls (not just the four characters) have the same shape i.e. perfect bikini size. The Rapper (Franco's character) at some point belts out that 'tits and ass is all there is in life'. Girls drink like troopers with - there seems - no consequences. A girl is very closed to being raped whilst she is being outrageously promiscuous in yet another drug and alcohol fuelled party: it is a good point being raised but that just goes nowhere as we never go back to that situation. It's just a gratuitous ode to debauchery that gets hum-drummed very very often in the shape of a recurrent slick MTV video. I would be horrified if my teenage children were to ever see this movie, and since t's got a certificate 18 anyway who is the movie for then? For grown up men who like to lust over young pussies, that's a given. And then there is something more interesting: the voice over that could well be indeed or so I imagine, the voice of a young Teenage girl - nice to remember how I use to think at that age: how boredom was so hard to withstand, how not having money was such a curse... As another reviewer mentioned, the scene where Selena Gomez calls home to her parents is moving... So there is something genuine behind the slick and crude display of 'young pussies' but that is very hard to overcome, I must admit, I think even more so if you're a woman because those young women absolutely embrace being objectified. Is the director a man, I wonder (not)?
on 11 May 2013
I warn you now, although this is an exceedingly great film, it's not what it looks like.

The trailer focusses on 4 college girls (2 of which are former Disney favourites Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens) on spring break who get involved in a bit of crime and spend the entire movie in bikinis/less clothing. This much is true, but the way the director Harmony Korine chooses to display all of this is what the trailer doesn't show and what can be quite jarring to less seasoned viewers of Korine's work.

The editing style takes some getting used to with some dialogue from other scenes cut amongst earlier ones, hypnotic speech played constantly and frequent use of unneeded flashbacks. It's like Korine laid all of his footage out linearly, then accidentally sat on it and forgot to reorder it all. What remains is what most people would call "artsy".

Having said that, the film is ultimately incredible. There are some insanely great moments (Britney Spears' Everytime anyone?) and the frantic editing creates a seriously hypnotic experience. James Franco has never been better, and all 4 girls make "brave" performances also.

Just be warned, if you're looking for a straight-up, American Pie style spring break movie of girls taking their tops off and covering themselves in beer, this isn't the movie for you.
on 31 December 2014
Trippy film you either love it or hate it, worth the gamble though as you may really enjoy it, hot scenes too. And love the sound track.
on 22 April 2016
Don't get why people hate on this film. As soon as I saw the trailer on TV when it was it theatres I knew it had to be good. Unfortunately didn't see it then as I was 17. Fast forward 3/4 years later I regret not seeing it sooner.

The cast is superb especially James Franco, who takes a break from starring in s***ty stoner films to give a performance that I can see in time will be the role which will define his career the same way Travis Bickle defined Robert De Niro's.

And it's not just the cast that is perfection, the music, the cinematography, the acting all deserve a round of applause.