5.0 out of 5 stars Game Changer
I do not know what I was expecting when I bought this book. It had a pretty cover and was going cheap so I thought I would give it ago. I had heard good things about it, I thought I might like it but I wasn't expecting to be blown away...yet I was. Consider me officially blown.

Published on 30 Jun 2012 by Kate Phillips

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me...
Published 16 months ago by beccalikesbooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Game Changer, 30 Jun 2012
Kate Phillips "Kate" (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Angelfall is one of the most exciting books I have read in a long time. It has a lot going for it. The plot line is mesmerizing you live and breathe it from the very beginning until the end. It is a compelling story of family, sacrifice and love.

I found the characters incredibly engaging. Penryn is a strong female lead, a lot stronger than most girls you see in Young Adult books. The lengths she is prepared to go to for her sister is something we have seen before (see The Hunger Games) but it still proves to be touching. Raffe, the lead male character, is also strong and the perfect partner for Penryn as she travels across a ruined America. They are characters that are easy to get behind; easy to like and before you know it you realise you are caring about them.

The romantic relationship between them is a slow burner and manages to get under your skin even though nothing really happens. In fact calling this book a `romance' book is probably lying. There is little to no romance in this at all, just a shadow of what is to come in future books in the series.

Angelfall does get a few things wrong. There are a few times where Ee stretches reality a little too thinly and it becomes a little hard to believe. These moments are few and far between and do not greatly affect the reading experience. Also her world building is a little bit unbelievable. In six weeks America seems to have deteriorated an awful lot. (However, I haven't been through an apocalypse so how would I know)

What Ee does with this book that many other authors struggle with is her scene building. From a lonely feather falling from the sky to the image of Angel Gabriel hovering over an under siege Jerusalem. Every scene is crafted with beauty that makes for a mesmerizing experience for the reader. I think it is the main reason that the book is almost impossible to put down.

Another thing Angelfall has going for it is the brutality and violence. It really pushed the boundaries of how brutal, gory and violent a YA should be. In my mind it was all justified and was there for the benefit of the story but those with a weaker stomach might find parts of this book disturbing and sickening. This is no walk in the park this is a world full of tragedy and darkness. It holds nothing back and shows you a place that is ripped apart and dyeing. It is probably the most violent and gory Ya book I have read.

I could not recommend this book more highly. It is one of the best books I have read this year and is in my top three YA books of all time. I loved it, loved it, loved it and I literally cannot wait for the next book in the series, if it is anything like this then I know I am in for one hell of a ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page-turner, 5 Dec 2011
delphine "meryllon" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I found this book through Goodreads, where it was one of my recommendations. Originally, I had just requested the Kindle sample, but as soon as I got to the end of the very generous excerpt, I absolutely had to read the rest. (On the issue of samples: quite often, I've noticed that the quality of the writing dips seriously after the end of the sample. No such problems here!)

Susan Ee has created a compelling mix of characters: Penryn, the young heroine, is responsible for looking after a paranoid mother and a sister in a wheelchair. The world has been engulfed by the Apocalypse (no, really), and as the novel opens, they are desperately trying to leave their wrecked apartment block and, as darkness falls, head for the hills -- despite the danger of marauding gangs and patrols of the Angels who have brought human civilisation crashing down.

That's when they witness five of these powerful beings ganging up on a single, injured Angel. Penryn intervenes on the side of the underdog, and that's when her problems start. Her crippled sister is kidnapped by the Angel gang, her mother disappears, and she is left with the mysterious angel Raffe, who seems on the point of death.

How Penryn and Raffe set out to San Francisco to find the angels' aerie, how they encounter the human resistance movement en route, and what they find when they get to the aerie (much grisliness here, though not of the truly gross variety) -- all these events unfold over the rest of the book. And all the while, we're unravelling more of the mystery of Raffe and the other Angels, starting to find answers to why they're on earth, who they are, and what they're doing here, especially in the aerie's basement -- and some of those answers are deeply troubling.

The novel is very well presented on the Kindle; there are none of the formatting errors that seem disappointingly common. It's also been well edited; I only discovered one instance of "site" instead of "sight" (probably) and one instance of what I suspect is an editing mishap: "The shape of the wings are not shaped like a bird's wings" -- I imagine "shape of the" should have been deleted there. (Okay, okay, I know I'm nitpicking.)

One more word on the Angels. There is (or there was) a Gabriel, there's an Uriel and a Beliel, and possibly it helps to know a little (arch)angel lore. But one of the angels is an agnostic, and overall they seem a) far from perfect and b) not to know what they're doing. In a different book, they might simply be aliens.

This is a thoroughly original book, well written, well paced, with fascinating characters and overall very enjoyable. I can't wait for the next one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me..., 4 Jun 2013
I can see why this is an internet sensation. It plunges you straight into an America ravaged by destructive angels - the descriptions of streets jammed with empty cars and littered with abandoned mobile phones are haunting, and it's action-packed right from the start. Add to that an incredibly hot angel-guy, Raffe, and Penryn, the narrator, a tough girl with a mentally ill mother who has to protect her sweet and vulnerable younger sister (a formula straight from The Hunger Games), and you have a page-turner.

However, I found Penryn's inner monologue a bit overwritten (she describes every... single... thought process, and sometimes even her breathing. Argh), and the immediate sexual chemistry between her and Raffe - the love/hate power struggle, the biting repartees, the endless reminders of his physical beauty - predictable, tired and even a bit icky, eg. when applying blister plasters to his pus-and-blood-y feet (a 4-page scene): "I rub my finger firmly around the adhesive to make sure it won't fall off. He inhales sharply and I can't tell if it's from pain or pleasure. I'm careful to keep my eyes down on my task." Ew.

The plot compels you on, but I must admit that after the introduction of a pair of mischievous, entrepreneurial, red-headed twins (hello Weasleys!) who speak as one and call themselves Tweedledum and Tweedledee, and a one-dimensional bitchy girl character with whom she has a wet t-shirt wrestle, I started skim-reading. The denouement is dramatic, and the revelation of what the angels are up to is dark and certainly original, with a cliffhanger ending ready for book two.

If you're looking for a fast read with drama and chemistry, and don't mind the occasional narrative clumsiness or cliché, then you might enjoy this; it just wasn't magical enough for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what Dystopian YA should be!, 29 Dec 2011
I bought Angelfall spur on the moment because I could feel myself falling into a bit of book funk,but I really liked the sound of the premise and the reviews behind it was very positive even though I am wary on the angel theme especially for YA books but I WAS BLOWN AWAY.

OMG - I was so sucked in with this book that I totally spent the rest of the day finishing the book because I was so engrossed with the story. Penwyn Young is not only struggling to survive the post apocalypse when invading angels from heaven reap their wrath on earth, but she has to tackle coping with her mother's paranoid schizophrenia and her sister's disability in a harsh world. When her sister is abducted by an angel she is forced to team up with another angel, Raffe whose wings have been cut off has become an outcast. On a quest to get his wings back and for Penwyn to find her sister, they encounter a world filled with cannibals, an emerging human movement and angels who would love to kill Raffe on sight.

Penwyn is a fantastic heroine, resourceful, clever and determined to protect her family, I loved the scenes she shared with with her mother, which were uncomfortable and heartbreaking as well as with Raffe whose relationship evolves wonderfully throughout the book. I loved how it evolved and guess what? No emoness or moping in sight, now this is how to do a do a YA!

This was a YA that surpassed my expectations, gritty, dark and unapologetic chilling especially with the climactic ending that definitely gave me a cold chill down my spine, however there is scenes of humour and great diaglogue which really helps to balance the stark tone. This was seriously one of the best books I read this year and Susan Ee has definitely become a break-out author for me! I can't say enough good things about this book if you loved Enclave by Ann Aguirre, or the The Hunger Games, then you will definitely love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars when's the next one out???, 30 July 2012
Quite simply, I loved this book. Read the whole thing in less than two days. All I can say is 'when's the next one out????'

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely breathtaking!!, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Angelfall (Penryn and the End of Days Book One) (Kindle Edition)
Without a doubt, THE best angel book I have ever read! This book just blew me away. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where angels are the harbingers of death, one girl must team up with the enemy if she is to have any chance of rescuing her sister from the clutches of evil.

From the very first page, the reader is catapulted into a world where angels roam the sky and humans are fighting for survival. Among those still standing is Penryn, a 17 year old girl who must call upon all her survivalist instincts if she is to have any chance of saving her family. While rescuing an angel after he has his wings cut off by his own kind, her wheelchair bound sister is taken and carried off into the night. Left with the wounded angel and her schizophrenic mother to look after, Penryn begins a journey that will change her life.

I devoured this book! Right from the first line I was sucked in and kept up until the wee hours of the morning, loving every second of this heart-pounding ride. Penryn was an amazing character. Having been trained in various self-defense and martial-arts techniques, she is a true survivalist. Strong willed, determined and head strong, she is one kick-ass heroine. She also has a vulnerability about her which makes the reader connect to her. She doesn't enjoy fighting, but she will to save herself and those she loves. The story is told in first person from her POV so we are able to feel her desperation and heart-ache as she searches for her baby sister. Raffe I loved. He is snarky and brash and even though he is the enemy, you begin to warm to him as the story progresses. You get a sense of his despair at having his wings cut off and begin to see a different side to him. The connection between Penryn and Raffe was well thought out and believable. At first they are both wary of each other, both each others enemy, but as they travel together, their partnership grows into contention, bordering on friendship.
The story itself was an action-packed thrill ride. There is no hiding from the harsh reality of what has happened to the world. The author doesn't sugar-coat anything. It's gory, raw, edgy and frightening. It is dark, fast paced and filled with so many twist and turns you will be on the edge of your seat throughout. The writing is so descriptive and flows so brilliant that every drop of blood spilled is captured in great detail.
The ending. My god the ending! I was in bits! What a way to end a book! I am dying to get my hands on book two but we don't even have a release date yet! :( I am having withdrawal symptoms here! Please Ms Ee, put me out of my misery!

If you haven't read this book then you need to get it like right now! One of the best books I have ever read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared to buy the next books if you want any pay-off..., 18 Jun 2013
Mr. J. Ferguson (Sunderland, UK) - See all my reviews
Very interesting concept and the set-up in the first few chapters was enough to get me engaged. But over time, the grip of the story loosened and my interest began to wane. The rambling, inner monologue of the toughened teenage girl in the post-apocalyptic world isn't as original as some reviewers are suggesting (Hunger Games?), nor is the angst and teenage sexual tension with a not-quite-human (Twilight?).

Where there is an element of originality is in the Angelic invasion, their politics, their culture, etc. There was disappointingly little back-story to this, with the novel instead focusing too much on the over-described relationship between Penryn and Raffe.

While a good writer of a series of books can write each individual book with a start, middle and end, It was clear early on that the author was intending this book to be a scene-setting, Chapter 1 in a longer series. In that sense, I started to resent the fact I knew there would be no pay-off at the end of the book, and I am not sure I am invested enough to wait for the next one. It would have been much better if this had been framed as a standalone novel, then we could have explored this world in more detail in future books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly worth the hype.., 4 Jun 2013
Ms J. Atkins "Loxias" (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
I have a 1.5hr commute into London every day so I read a lot of books. I saw Angelfall advertised on a poster in a tube station and when I finished another book I thought I might as well read it. To be honest I wasn't expecting a great deal - I thought it would be cheesy YA romance which I'd forget about a couple of weeks later. I also wasn't sure about the angels - I'm so fed up with vampires I thought going down the religious angel line was even more of a mistake.

Well, I was completely wrong. This book more than exceeded my expectations in every aspect. It was gripping from start to finish, so much so I actually missed my train stop because I was so engrossed in it. The author has created characters you actually care about, from Penryn (our strong-willed and human heroine with her occasional girly traits) and Raffe (our arrogant and tormented angel), to Penryn's crazy mum and the band of resistance fighters. Keeping all the action in a fairly small geographical location (in this case the San Francisco area) means the author can give us a good picture of the post-apocolyptic landscape without bringing complete doom on the world. I found myself rooting for almost everyone the whole way through, and I wanted to know more about everyone. I guess there is only so much space in one book, but I'd like to have heard how the resistance had gotten together and a bit more about the hierarchy of the angels.

This book has clearly been written as the first in the series - not least because there are way too many loose ends to be completely finished. I know for certain that as soon as another comes out I will be out there buying it.

Whether you are interested in YA titles or not (usually I'm not, although I did like The Hunger Games series) it is definitely worth giving this book a try. It is not a long read (more's the pity!) but you'll be hooked...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 30 May 2013
Such a good book with an fantastic story line. Had a few lazy days just so I could read it (I'm a very slow reader, lol) if you love a book with non stop action, a bit of gore and a forbidden romance then get stuck in, you will not regret it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Different but great, 30 May 2013
Initially, I didn't think I would get into the book, the plot seemed strange. However, as the story developed I loved it. The chemistry between Penryn and her fallen angel, and knowing that it is a pairing that can never be keeps you enthralled. I can't wait for the next book to come out to see where the tale will go.