on 12 June 2015
Excellent product. The camera fitted easily into our bird box and the wireless signal came through the wall very well. We watched put bluetit family build their nest, hatch nine eggs and fledge. Fantastic for the kids to watch and the best type of reality tv!
review image
on 24 February 2016
Noticed a Robin was building a nest, So I thought I would give this camera a go.
Opened the box and flicked through the instructions. Good picture instruction. I need this kind of instruction, as I am not that clever, on this kind of thing.
Easy.
I set it up indoors first and nipped out to measure up, to where to place the camera, to the nest. 7".
Came in and focused the camera to get a good picture.
Glad I bought the extra cable, as I think I was a few meters short of where I wanted to place the camera.
Read that the receiver did not like walls and wifi, so I set it up on the lounge TV, this is a few meters away from the camera.
Great picture on my 4k smart tv.
Then decided to try out the receiver, from the back of the house, this would have to go through a couple of walls, and be near the radio. which is tuned to wifi.
Bought the old 10yrs TV downstairs and set up in kitchen.
I still get a great picture. with the radio on as well. The only time it plays up is when the microwave is going.
So thrilled with the Robin building her nest. She only comes to the nest in the morning.
I have added some pictures, The picture quality is from the back of the house in the kitchen.
The Robins nest is at the front of the house, By the front door.
I think, for the money, the picture quality. You are getting a bargain.
review image review image review image review image
on 30 December 2014
I bought this as a Christmas present for my mum and for the money I'm pretty impressed.

I looked at a few other cameras before buying and the lens on this one is a much wider angle than any of the others I found. This is important because the wider the angle the more you can see, and when mounting in a bird box the camera is going to be pretty close to the action so you need a wide field of view to see the whole box instead of just the bit in the middle.

The camera has a small mounting bracket so you can screw it to the box (screw not supplied). I saw some boxes on Amazon which were marketed as being designed for cameras (with a perspex window to let light in and a clip for the camera) but were in the £30-£35 price range. I didn't think they were worth it so I just bought a normal £6 one and I stand by my decision.

The camera has little IR LEDs which illuminate the box without disturbing the birds. I can see inside the box perfectly day or night even without having a perspex window to allow extra light in and the mounting bracket on the camera means there is no benefit in having one fitted to a box anyway. I recommend getting a box wth a hinged lid though as it makes installation easy.

The power cable supplied is too short for anything more than hanging the box outside your window, if you plan to put it in a tree in the garden you will need to buy an extension cable as well.

Set up is simple, connect the receiver to your TV using the composite cables supplied (yellow and white phono plugs) and switch on the camera. The camera focus is adjustable so it's best to set it up in the box while in front of the TV so you can get the focus and camera angle right before you hang the box in the garden.

My only word of warning is that you need to remember the quoted range of 50 metres is the maximum range under ideal conditions. My box is approx 15 metres from the house in the back garden and while it works fine connected to a TV in the back of the house I cannot get a picture if I try on a TV in the front.

Overall very happy with the product, would buy again.
11 comment|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 November 2013
Gift was for my dad, he loves it - Really good, and clear picture quality, could see the birds in the box within a couple of hours. He has even managed to connect it to see the birds on his phone somehow :)
33 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2015
Based on our experience I would say do not buy if you want to connect this to a computer rather than a TV. We're using this in conjunction with the same company's recommended USB Video Capture Device in order to view and record on PC rather than view on TV. The bird box camera itself is fine, but the WiFi receiver is hopelessly sensitive to other WiFi devices in the vicinity as it operates on 2.4Ghz like the majority of WiFi routers. This renders the receiver useless unless you switch off your router. The WiFi range is also very poor - even from 20m away, with a direct line of vision to the bird box and only a double glazed window to pass through, the picture jumps. Changing the channels as suggested does not help. For us this has been a total waste of money - especially as we bought an extra camera and the USB connector. Maybe it works okay if you're nowhere near a router and just connecting to a TV as other people here seem to have done but it is not suitable for connecting to a normal home computer network with WiFi or for transmitting over anything other than very short distances. Attached video shows 10 secs before and 10 secs after switching the PC Internet WiFi router back on.
on 14 January 2014
Brilliant quality picture and so easy to set up. My only complaint is that the lead from the camera to the socket is far too short; an extension is required even to reach a socket directly beneath the box, which makes weatherproofing quite difficult.
on 15 January 2015
Despite only siting the box approx 25 feet from the receiver, and with only one wall in the way, it is almost impossible to get any sort of picture. Useless bit of kit, I should have heeded the previous comments. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.
on 26 December 2013
Opened on Xmas day & connected to tv to make sure it all worked. Very easy to set up. Had it up & running in minutes. Really clear images on screen. Easy to zoom to adjust to get the perfect picture. Putting it in the bird box over this week. Great item..
on 15 February 2015
Hard to install in bird box. Bracket didn't have screws and you need to fix bracket first. Then impossible to fix camera to bracket. Ended up making a small fixing plate. Bracket also very little clearance to hard to turn camera down to where nest will hopefully be.
on 2 May 2016
This is really good and easy to set up.
Could the image be better? Don't know - never had one, but it does what it needs to do.
I bought this as a pig-can for some new, and very shy guinea pigs. The cage is only about 15 foot from the receiver and it does get interruption from things, such as the microwave and possibly mobile phones too.
However, this hasn't been much of an issue for us.
The kids have had great fun watching their new pets gain confidence.
I think the listing for this product could serve itself better - clarity on what you need, so unless it's been updated, here's some useful info;
- there are two elements - the camera and the wi-fi receiver/unit
- BOTH of these need powering
- BOTH of these come with a cable and plug. You just need to plug it into a standard electricity socket.
- If you don't have a waterproof external socket - you will either need one adding (by an electrician etc) of find a way to connect the power by passing the cable through a wall etc. Ie; drilling holes and so on.

In the packaging (which is really, really good) there are all the elements as below;
- camera
- camera cable and power unit/plug
- small screws for attaching camera
- wi-fi unit
- wi-fi unit charge cable and plug
- clear instruction booklet with all sorts of suggestions and advise

All in all, this is great for small cages, bird boxes and so on! Oh - and you can set the focal length of the camera (to an extent) by twisting the lens.
AND it has night-vision too.
review image review image review image review image