5.0 out of 5 stars a ground-breaking HIGH QUALITY and SMART device - with options for the novice & expert alike.
I am thoroughly impressed with this product. This acts as an upgrade for me from my previous Blu Ray player which was also made by Sony. To start with the sony blu ray players are reliable and efficient machines that offer an intuitive GUI display to guide you through your various options.

Testing playback on this device I have watched Moonrise Kingdom which...
Published 19 months ago by T. J. Bacon

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Plays blurays really well, have noticed a little stutter with DVD's so will keep an eye on it.
Published 2 months ago by Swiss T

‹ Previous | 118 19 20 21 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Nov 2014
This review is from: Sony BDPS3100 Smart Wi-Fi Blu-ray Disc Player (Electronics)
good present

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony BDPS3100 V Samsung BD-F6500 v Toshiba BDX2400, 8 Feb 2014
I first picked up a cheap Toshiba BDX2400 in my local Asda (£32) for use mainly as a DVD player with HDMI output to replace my non HDMI DVD player. I found I was using iPlayer on the box and I discovered that I may be able to replace my WD TV box as well as it played avi, MKV files etc. It looked a perfect solution. However, the iPlayer option would not appear on occasion and I would have to reboot a time or two to get it to come back. More seriously sometimes the player wouldn't connect to the Toshiba servers so I couldn't get iPlayer at all. Further the playing of avi files was flawed e.g. use the Subititle button to switch subititles on and it works. Press it again to switch them off and they go off. Press Subtitle button again and nothing happens. Finally the unit would sometimes freeze completely so after finding a better solution (see below) it was back to Asda for a refund. Don't bother.

Amazon had a Black Friday deal on the Sony BDPS3100 for a shade over £60 so I had a punt on that. Now this was a dream in comparison to the Toshiba. Everything seemed to just work. The interface was smooth and logical. There was only one small drawback.... out of the few avi/mp4/mkv films I tested on it one (MP4) would stutter making it unwatchable.

This made me wonder how many other films wouldn't work - or maybe it would be a one off. The Toshiba could manage to play the MP4 that the Sony wouldn't. I started to think the highly rated Samsung BD-F6500 maybe better and eventually gave in picking up a warrantied refurb for £75. Now this played the MP4 that the Sony wouldn't. It also has the advantage of having ITV Player and 4OD which I thought was another big plus point though the inability to skip adverts means in reality I haven't used them yet.

Pluses and minuses of Sony V Samsung

* The Sony always has something on the screen e.g. Loading or connecting when not in a menu. The Samsung has periods where there is just a black screen which is disconcerting
* The Demand5 on the Sony is different than that on the Samsung. E.g. there is a Films category on the Sony which doesn't exist on the Samsung. It took 10 seconds to boot into Demand5 on the Sony and 15 seconds on the Samsung.
* iPlayer was faster to load on the Samsung but because of the black screen it actually seems to be slower.
* Press Subtitle on the remote on the Sony when in Iplayer and the subtitles will toggle on/off. Press Subtitle on the remote on the Samsung and it does nothing. To get subtitles on/off you need to press the 'i' button and move across the the subtitle option. Choose the Exit option on the Samsung in iPlayer and iPlayer appears to close but goes straight back to iPlayer. Do the same on the Sony and you will go back to the Sony menu (as you would expect).
* Navigating through files on USB on the Sony is rapid whereas the Samsung is sluggish to the point of being painful. In general the Sony menu is laid out much better. Most people (I would imagine) would use such a player to watch films/TV. All video is under one option on the Sony visible on the first menu screen. On the Samsung the IPlayer is on the main screen but the BBC News is on another screen. If you want to watch a film on USB you need to go to another screen for which the default/first option on that screen is 'Photos' which you have to navigate off to 'Video'. Do Samsung really believe that most people are using the player to look at photos???
* If you watch some of an avi/mkv film and come back to it some time later on the Samsung it will resume where you left off. The Sony will start from the beginning.
* The Samsung has a display on the front and the Sony has a small light. I think I prefer the Sony option. I find the 'STOP' which at times appears on the front at times on the Samsung a bit pointless. I would rather it just has the elapsed time displayed.
* The Samsung and Sony both thave the USB input on the front but the Samsung has a fiddly cover on it whereas the Sony has no cover. As such I found it easier to insert my USB lead into the Sony. The Sony is also a more solid machine and is less likely to slide backwards when trying to get the lead in.

In summary I kept the Samsung and a friend bought the Sony off me. I sometimes regret this, but I kept the Samsung because of the ability to play all AVI/MKV/MP4 files I gave it, the ability to resume films from where I got up to and the extra 4OD & ITVPlayer aware that the Sony interface is a lot more slick and logical. Everyone's needs are different and mine was to replace my WDTV media player and DVD player with a single unit and gaining view on demand. I didn't manage to suss out the DLNA and haven't even tried the BluRay facility which for others may be the obvious use for such a machine,

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Player, 14 Jan 2014
Mr. A. Beetham (Preston, Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
This player does what it's supposed to do. No fuss, no gimmicks. Quality kit at a reasonable price. Pity that there is not more 3D material out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good player let down by plastic case, 5 Nov 2013
Features of this player are great and as advertised but let down by easily scratched plastic case. May not have purchased if known case was plastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good DVD Player, 30 Aug 2013
I like the wireless internet access to You Tube and if I was into film subscription it would be brilliant as it has access to Netflix. Blue Ray is good for action films (not my scene), A good all round decent player,

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent low-end wi-fi smart blu-ray player, 24 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In many ways, like the BDPS1100 it's quite a basic model (with added wi-fi, gracenote and TV sideview) considering all the bells and whistles you can get on blu-ray players nowadays, but as long as you don't want it to do much more than play discs and be able to view the supported streaming services (lovefilm, netflix, bbc iplayer etc) you should be okay. These services seem to be streaming fine using the wi-fi for me but I'd imagine some people would have to use a wired connection depending on your wireless broadband performance.

Everything's easy to operate and most importantly it produces a great picture when playing blu-rays. The unit itself looks quite nice too, small and compact. If you're looking for a basic wi-fi blu-ray player at a good price I'd definitely recommend this model, but if your wireless broadband isn't so great you'd probablt be better off with the cheaper BDPS1100 model (£30 cheaper at the time of writing this).

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Nov 2014
works well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 July 2014
excellent

1.0 out of 5 stars Naff Tech Support *** Updated Read if you can not connect to SEN, 23 Jan 2014
*** updated again. You may want to read the text bellow if you are having trouble connecting to the SEN network. However I have now returned this piece of crud.

First of all this arrived in a bashed box with no paper to conceal the items contents. I have just spent the last 10 hours trying to get this darned thing to work. I am very tech savvy and I only persevered so long because I live in the middle of nowhere and did not want the hassle of returning this item to a drop off point.

Okay I had another go at trying to resolve this problem this morning. I called Sony technical and they were about as much use as a chocolate tea pot. I then scoured the internet some more and found the solution to my problem.

I manually inputted my internet connection details: (example)

IP 192.168.0.7
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1

Now I would normally use 192.168.0.1 as my primary DNS but some one on the net suggested using

Primary DNS 8.8.8.8

Low and behold it worked! Don't ask me how but it it did. I then had to create an account at [...] and register my blue ray device. The player gives up a 5 digit code to enter into the website and then you are up and running.

The iplayer app seems to work flawlessly even on HD settings. The blu ray playback is good. Overall I like the BDP-S4100 but my opinion of it has been marred by the total incompetence of Sony technical support. I suspect I will not rush out to buy another Sony product.

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing wifi!, 9 Sep 2013
bought this to watch web TV in the conservatory - but despite my laptop being able to get an excellent signal this box could only manage 1 bar and consequently timed out every time i tried to watch bbc iplayer etc - disappointing! just entering the url was a painfully slow process however as a bluray player its great

‹ Previous | 118 19 20 21 | Next ›