I am thoroughly impressed with this product. This acts as an upgrade for me from my previous Blu Ray player which was also made by Sony. To start with the sony blu ray players are reliable and efficient machines that offer an intuitive GUI display to guide you through your various options.

Testing playback on this device I have watched Moonrise Kingdom which...
Published 17 months ago by T. J. Bacon

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work properly
While the features of this player would earn it a much better rating if it was functional, as the picture and sound keep dropping out every few minutes during playback I'm afraid I can't give it any more than one star. I am in the process of attempting to return it to the seller.
Published 4 months ago by S. Peel

5.0 out of 5 stars a ground-breaking HIGH QUALITY and SMART device - with options for the novice & expert alike., 28 April 2013
T. J. Bacon "TJB" (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sony BDPS3100 Smart Wi-Fi Blu-ray Disc Player (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Testing playback on this device I have watched Moonrise Kingdom which accurately captures the grain of the film on blu ray and then the sumptuously beautiful cinematography of Prometheus, where a full range of colour blacks and pin-point detail can be found. I have watched DVD's which upscale very well depending on the title. This machine offers full 1080p playback at 24fps - creating glorious images.

This machine is very easy to make multi-region for DVD playback (not Blu Ray) and I quickly did this within minutes of owning it. In order to do this yourself you will need a programmable remote or pre-programmed remote with a hack built into it (these can be found for approx £10 online).

The machine allows you to access BBC iplayer, 5 ondemand, sky news, Crackle and more for free as well as Sony's Entertainment network - where you can find games and other apps - that give you access to Facebook & Twitter too.

The two main subscription services you can join and stream content via are LoveFilm & Netflix - both of which are very good value for money.

There are two ways to connect the machine to the online world - this can be done via built wifi (no extra gizmos needed here) or via ethernet cable. I use both options. For everything I mainly stick with the WiFi, however I also use the Ethernet as you can access the customisable section for this (not the WiFi) where you can alter the DNS settings manually thus making certain services available from elsewhere in the world (i.e. the States for example). If you do this however be sure to switch back to your UK settings before you turn off the machine as the Blu Ray player updates each time you turn it on and you always want your updates to be UK based. My advice is to not to play with these settings if you are a novice user as you could mess up your machine.

Another clever option is that you can pair your smart phone with the player thus enabling you to quickly search and control You Tube for example from your mobile device. This is really handy as its far more easy to find content on your phone than on the GUI interface for You Tube on the machine.

There is also a USB socket on the front where you can attach any portable hard drive or even USB ket to save content to (such as elements from Blu Ray 2.0 sites) or if you prefer playback images, video or music from this too.

On the negative side there is access to a search engine for general internet use - however you cannot watch content on any website at present as it is not encoded to engage with Flash or Html5 video content - which feels a shame.

On the whole I fully recommend this machine and think it is a wonder. You do not need a more expensive machine and this is a testament to just how far price and quality have come in line since Blu Ray was first launched.

For those that would like more technical details here is a full breakdown --

Playback Capability:

Blu-ray Disc
DVD with 1080p upscaling
BD-Live (Profile 2.0)
AVC-HD (Blu-ray, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA)
CD
USB playback (FAT32 / NTFS)
External HDD (Read)
Photo - JPEG / GIF / PNG
Video - XviD / WMV9 / MPEG-1 / MPEG-2 / MPEG-4 / AVCHD
Music - MP3 / AAC / WMA9 Standard / LPCM

Video Features:

Super Scaler (Precision CinemaHD upscale)
Triluminous Colour
Deep Colour
24p True Cinema
NTSC/PAL(60Hz/50Hz)
DVD 24p output

Audio Features:

HDMI® - DTS HD Master Audio / Dolby TrueHD / LPCM 2ch / LPCM 6ch out / LPCM 8ch out
HDMI® - DSD to LPCM conversion

Child Lock
Parental Control
USB keyboard / Auto Standby
Wi-Fi® Built in (2.4GHz)
Photo slide show with music (CD, USB)
Sony Entertainment Network (SEN)
Live Streaming / Subtitle
BRAVIA Sync
Firmware Update (Network / Disc)

Terminals:

9.9W
Standard Remote

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price it's unbeatable!, 16 Feb 2014
T. Downes - See all my reviews
This was my first Blu-ray player so I wasn't quite sure what to expect since I've never actually seen or used one. But this Blu-ray player is superb, it is extremely easy to set-up (has a quick start guide on first boot) and I was up and running in no time. The apps are quite limited compared to Samsung but it has everything you really would need such as Netflix, YouTube, Lovefilm etc.

Picture quality is a massive difference compared to a DVD player and I also found out that it was possible this could upscale my already owned DVDs and make them almost HD! I am very pleased with this Blu-Ray player and have not had any issues as of yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 9 Jan 2014
Traffic (Kiruna, Sweden) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Received this just about an hour ago after ordering via Amazon yesterday.

The first things I noticed were just how light it felt in my hand and how neat it looked.

I attached the HDMI cable from the TV to the Disk Player, (it does not come with a HDMI cable so if you don't have one make sure you get one. This is one I ordered: IBRA® 1m High Speed PRO GOLD RED 1.4a HDMI Cable 3D 2160p PS4 SKY HD 4K Ultra HD.

I then plugged it into the mains and pressed the on button.

In first turning it on you are faced with a series of set up screens including connecting the player the Internet via Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi, I opted for Wi-Fi. Once connected to the internet I was informed that there was a software update for the player and I downloaded and installed it in just a few minutes.

Once the set up was complete I was able to watch my Blu Ray and normal DVDs.

The player is vary quiet, and I can't hear the disk spinning or any fans when a disc is playing, however I do hear a slight noise as each chapter of the disc comes into play, like the noise of the lens doing a quick search, but it's literally for a second or less. Other than that there's no noise to disturb your viewing pleasure. The picture and sounds quality are great and I had no issues with getting a DVD to run on it.

The settings screens remind me of the PS3 settings screen as they are vary similar in appearance.

There is also BBC iPlayer on it and a load of other stuff, most of which I'll never use. It's not on your system initially but in one of the options you can download them all, but it seems you can't pick an choose what services to download, they all appear.

Sometimes I find that if I turn the power off with a disc inside, when I turn it back on it doesn't always seem to recognise a disc is there. When I open the tray and close it again it reads the dis. Doesn't happen every time but has happened two or three times in the 4 or 5 weeks I've had it. Doesn't bother me much to be honest.

If you have any questions about this product please feel free to ask me here.

Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony BDP 3100. WiFi Blue Ray player., 4 Oct 2013
I am writing this because I found some of the reviews misleading. For example, it was suggested that it did not provide for Love Film, or Net Fliix. It provides both and much more besides. It was also suggested tha the wiFi connection was difficult and one needed to buy a LAN WiFi Adaptor. I purchased one of these for £50 from Amazon who have kindly allowed me to return it since it is not required. The Blue Ray connected to my Virgin WFi in less than a minute and works perfectly. I am no techno but. I set up the machine in minutes it was so simple. I have to say, only a troll would find it difficult. It is a fantastic machine which is why I am moved to write my first review. My advice is simple; if you want a BlueRay, buy this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great budget machine with excellent picture quality, 27 Jun 2013
Mr. Ian Thomas "Swarley" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A few weeks ago, I replaced my beloved Sony BDPS370 Blu-ray Player with this newer BDPS4100 model. I have used this new machine to play a variety of Blu-rays and DVDs at full HD 1080P resolution, and to watch online HD content from Netflix and YouTube and the TV catch-up services. It has been really interesting to compare the performance of these two machines to see whether Sony has made any progress over the last 3 years.

The Good:

- Excellent picture quality when upscaling DVDs to full HD. The upscaled picture is pin sharp, with no motion artifacts/blur, and the colours are very nice.
- Excellent 2D Blu-ray picture quality, with noticeably richer more vibrant colours for a given source compared to my older player, presumably due to the "Triluminos Colour" feature.
- Includes the standard suite of Sony online entertainment apps, including BBC iPlayer and Demand5 apps, which work very well.
- Supports DLNA streaming from a network storage device, which worked very well with my NAS. The BDPS4100 played almost every video format (MPEG2, MPEG4, etc) I tested with it, and the picture quality is very good. The controls are nice and responsive when streaming over the network too.
- Small compact size makes it easy to fit just about anywhere, even if you have limited space.
- Quite cool visual design, with an asymmetric triangular body shape.

The Bad:

- Questionable build quality compared to my older Sony player. The machine is very lightweight and the casing feels very plasticky and flimsy in comparison. The buttons on the main unit also feel very clicky. For all I know, this machine could go on and on for years, but it just doesn't feel as well built.
- I had real difficulty initially activating the online services when I first installed the player. It kept failing to contact the Sony entertainment online services and hanging completely. I had to reset the machine to defaults several times over a 45 minute period before successfully managing to activate these services. That said, I haven't had any issues at all since then, so this could have just been unlucky.
- When playing DVDs, this player's motor makes occasional grinding noises as it spins the disc. It is noticeably noisier than my previous player, nothing terrible but enough to bother me during quiet moments.

Overall, I'm very happy with the new BDPS4100, which offers noticeably better picture quality and online service performance than my old Sony player. Therefore, I would consider it a good investment for anyone looking for their first Blu-ray player or for someone looking to upgrade an early Blu-ray player from a few years ago. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the machine's 3D performance, as I don't have a 3D capable TV (and I'm not too bothered about 3D anyway!). Given the issues I had activating the online services, and the build quality concerns, I can't really give this machine the perfect 5 stars, so it's a very strong 4 stars for me. This machine represents excellent value for money!

NOTE - The BDP-S4100 only plays standard Region 2 DVDs out of the box, but can apparently be converted to multi-region quite easily using a suitable multi-device remote control.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase, 28 Dec 2013
Easy transaction, arrived on time and most importantly it performs even better than expected. Terrific value for the price and would highly recommend .

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything and more, 30 May 2013
In the past I've always gone for Panasonic but after reading a fairly good review, I went for the Sony.
Straight from the box it was multi region and connected to my router without a cable in seconds.
I have a massive collection of PD discs and it certainly boosts the picture, on standard dvd's the colour is outstanding and the picture razor sharp.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great product., 3 Oct 2013
The best £85.00 I've ever spent. we have loads more to watch on tv now. I esp. love the you tube service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value - Wifi is not included, 31 Jan 2014
Lee "Bob" (Limerick, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is a great little Blu-Ray player for the price. It plays internet TV and I haven't found a filetype yet that it can't play via USB.

There are quite a lot of reviews here on whether WiFi is built in or not. To clarify, the BDPS4100 is WiFi Ready but you must buy an additional USB device for it to work (or plug in an ethernet cable to connect to your router). To buy the Sony Blu-Ray play with WiFi built in you much choose the WiFi option at the top of the screen when you buy the device - this will allow you to buy the next model up which costs an additional £20. Personally I already had a TP-Link Wireless Nano Router for my Sky box which plugs into the ethernet socket and bridges your wifi connection, so I just switch this over to the other box when I need it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony BDPS4100, 14 Dec 2013
This blu-Ray player does everything I require. In particular the USB port allows me to show my home movies (Kodak Playsport) straight from memory stick to TV.