on 24 May 2014
Worked very well for 3 months. Then I noted the early rise in the heart rate which settled down after 10 mins of use. It was still providing reasonable feedback after warming up so I didn't worry too much. Then 18 k into my first ultra marathon it started telling me I was only at 80 bpm, when I knew I was closer to double that. It has never worked properly for a whole run since. The DC rainmaker blog has a fix with a polar strap that I just purchased for £12 on this website. I'm hopeful that will fix the issue.

Its a shame really, because the Garmin GPS devices are SO good. Yet they let themselves down with peripherals that don't even last one season. If you do buy this because you're locked into the Garmin ecosystem, consider the real price you will pay to be 10-15 GBP higher than the current listing, because that's what you'll need to spend to get more than a couple month's use out of this.
55 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 September 2014
Bought this to use with a Garmin Edge 510 for cycling. I've been using it all summer and it is still working fine, I was a little concerned that it might be uncomfortable especially on longer rides (having never used a chest strap HRM before), but it is made of soft material and is about as comfortable as it could be - I hardly know it is there on long rides.

Make sure you read the instructions and don't try to pair it when there are other unpaired ANT+ devices (like a cadence sensor) in range as this can stop it connecting properly. Also it says in the instructions to wash the strap after every seven uses I think otherwise the salt residue from body sweat damages it over time. Perhaps this is why some people are saying theirs stopped working after a couple of months?
on 27 February 2014
Bought a Garmin Edge 810 with all the extras…..after about 2 months no heart rate readings were
displayed.

The solution, bought a Polar soft strap and fitted my Garmin sensor to that and it all works a treat.
Plus, the Polar strap is more comfortable!
on 25 November 2013
I upgraded to the premium soft strap heart strap after experiencing chaffing with original heart strap. This is a big improvement and much more comfortable.
on 19 July 2014
I'm on my third one in a year. Treat them impeccably. Wash gently or in the washing machine, kept in dark or in sunlight. Nothing seems to work for these things.
Garmin concentrate on improving / selling you new head units yet their straps are a total waste of money. Going to dig out my Polar strap as suggested and see if its also compatible with my 810.
on 23 December 2015
Unfortunately I lost the older version of this ( with the thicker front strap) so I bought the newer model. I must say that I much prefer the older version. That one was very easy to adjust and clip on and I never had to soak it in water for it to work or fiddle constantly with the straps. I find this one very difficult to adjust, the strap bundles up together and feels awkward. Sometimes if I forget to soak it, I start my workout and it doesn't work so I need to pause, go to the bathroom to soak it and restart which is a bit of pain. It also doesn't look its going to last long as already there is some wear and tear showing on the strap after having it only a couple of months. I will certainly be looking for the older model of these once this one breaks.
on 20 July 2013
better than the previous one, less affected by static and more reliable transmission of signal. Needs washing regularly as did the last one. This one works better.
on 10 July 2014
Bought to go with my Garmin Forerunner 15. Works as expected, and I've not had any of the problems that other people have publicised regarding static / rubbing with technical T-Shirts causing strange heart rate readings. Adjusting the strap is a bit of a faff, but once it's set up so that it is just tight enough that it doesn't fall down your chest while you're running, you don't need to mess with it again. Can't help but feel it's a bit expensive for what it is, so doesn't get full marks for value.
on 6 June 2014
I have been using the monitor for a couple of months now in conjunction with a Garmin Vivofit . I forget I am wearing the monitor - it is extremely comfortable - and it quickly syncs with the Vivofit. The monitor fastens securely to the strap with a couple of press studs so it is easy to remove to wash the strap. I am extremely happy with the monitor and it is brilliant to play back the recording of my heart rate and see how it changes during exercise.
on 8 January 2016
This looks like the HR monitor that came bundled with my Garmin Fenix3. The watch is good, and the monitor worked fine with it for 3 months, then stopped working during a run. I tried everything to reconnect, but no success. I noticed that the battery was replaceable, and wondered if the battery had already drained. Changing the battery is a nightmare. There are 4 tiny screws with philips heads, and they were so tight that it was not possible to get them out without soon damaging one of the screw heads. I had to use a drill to remove the last one by destroying it! After changing the battery, and replacing the surviving 3 screws - no connection. ("Do not overtighten" say the Garmin instructions. Pity they didn't tell the guy in the factory in Taiwan).

I found a heart rate monitor useful, and would like to replace it, but do not want to waste money on a Garmin strap. Anyone know if other makes of better quality monitors will work with a Garmin watch?