on 24 May 2014
Worked very well for 3 months. Then I noted the early rise in the heart rate which settled down after 10 mins of use. It was still providing reasonable feedback after warming up so I didn't worry too much. Then 18 k into my first ultra marathon it started telling me I was only at 80 bpm, when I knew I was closer to double that. It has never worked properly for a whole run since. The DC rainmaker blog has a fix with a polar strap that I just purchased for £12 on this website. I'm hopeful that will fix the issue.

Its a shame really, because the Garmin GPS devices are SO good. Yet they let themselves down with peripherals that don't even last one season. If you do buy this because you're locked into the Garmin ecosystem, consider the real price you will pay to be 10-15 GBP higher than the current listing, because that's what you'll need to spend to get more than a couple month's use out of this.
55 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 September 2014
Bought this to use with a Garmin Edge 510 for cycling. I've been using it all summer and it is still working fine, I was a little concerned that it might be uncomfortable especially on longer rides (having never used a chest strap HRM before), but it is made of soft material and is about as comfortable as it could be - I hardly know it is there on long rides.

Make sure you read the instructions and don't try to pair it when there are other unpaired ANT+ devices (like a cadence sensor) in range as this can stop it connecting properly. Also it says in the instructions to wash the strap after every seven uses I think otherwise the salt residue from body sweat damages it over time. Perhaps this is why some people are saying theirs stopped working after a couple of months?
on 27 February 2014
Bought a Garmin Edge 810 with all the extras…..after about 2 months no heart rate readings were
displayed.

The solution, bought a Polar soft strap and fitted my Garmin sensor to that and it all works a treat.
Plus, the Polar strap is more comfortable!
on 19 July 2014
I'm on my third one in a year. Treat them impeccably. Wash gently or in the washing machine, kept in dark or in sunlight. Nothing seems to work for these things.
Garmin concentrate on improving / selling you new head units yet their straps are a total waste of money. Going to dig out my Polar strap as suggested and see if its also compatible with my 810.
on 3 February 2016
I have used this with a Garmin Vivofit 2, both while walking my dog and when on my exercise bike. Pairing it with the Vivofit following the instructions provided did not work; in the end I searched the internet and followed a recommendation from another user and finally got the devices to talk. The strap is fairly comfortable and once adjusted properly, does not slip as I thought it might. Occasionally the monitor stops working for a few seconds, resulting in a short break in the data recorded. I am not sure how accurate the reported heart rate is, although the figures displayed are very close to those shown by the display on my exercise bike (when I can get the display on my exercise bike working, that is...).
on 10 July 2014
Bought to go with my Garmin Forerunner 15. Works as expected, and I've not had any of the problems that other people have publicised regarding static / rubbing with technical T-Shirts causing strange heart rate readings. Adjusting the strap is a bit of a faff, but once it's set up so that it is just tight enough that it doesn't fall down your chest while you're running, you don't need to mess with it again. Can't help but feel it's a bit expensive for what it is, so doesn't get full marks for value.
on 15 September 2015
Plastic receiver bit digs in after a while!
I haven't tested it out in the washing machine, as I'm not sure if I'd trust it in there... nor have I worn it in wet conditions.
As far as connectivity and accuracy go, it seems fairly accurate, and as long as you have it snug but not too tight, and wet the pads a little it shouldn't lose connectivity. If it's too loose then you might get a few issues.
I haven't tried it against any other HRM or straps so I'm not sure how much more comfortable this one is over the standard garmin one, but I bought this as I thought that the longer plastic bit might cause a few more issues as I am only small, and also it was only £2 more expensive, so I went for it.
on 15 January 2014
Was forced to buy this as my previous generation garmin so-called premium HRM was giving totally ludicrous readings despite my following Garmin's suggestions for wear and maintenance. This HRM appears (so far after about 6 weeks) to be performing well and not giving the spikes or ridiculous readings of the old strap. It is just very disappointing that the strap is not available on it's own as the actual transmitter that I have from my old HRM is still in perfect condition
on 23 December 2015
Unfortunately I lost the older version of this ( with the thicker front strap) so I bought the newer model. I must say that I much prefer the older version. That one was very easy to adjust and clip on and I never had to soak it in water for it to work or fiddle constantly with the straps. I find this one very difficult to adjust, the strap bundles up together and feels awkward. Sometimes if I forget to soak it, I start my workout and it doesn't work so I need to pause, go to the bathroom to soak it and restart which is a bit of pain. It also doesn't look its going to last long as already there is some wear and tear showing on the strap after having it only a couple of months. I will certainly be looking for the older model of these once this one breaks.
on 6 June 2014
I have been using the monitor for a couple of months now in conjunction with a Garmin Vivofit . I forget I am wearing the monitor - it is extremely comfortable - and it quickly syncs with the Vivofit. The monitor fastens securely to the strap with a couple of press studs so it is easy to remove to wash the strap. I am extremely happy with the monitor and it is brilliant to play back the recording of my heart rate and see how it changes during exercise.