on 12 September 2013
I am a keen cyclist and bought this book to read on holiday. I hoped it would ignite some motivation to plan my next adventure. I found the author's style of writing to be very good. It has a great pace to it and he does not drag on, which could be a danger when writing a book like this. The book is full of good advice about travelling in different Countries. When reading the book I could almost feel the freedom and excitement of riding a bike across Europe. I thought he makes a great observation about the stereotypical American abroad. To his and his companions credit, they are not that. Well done to them both for a stimulating and enjoyable read. More people should get "off the wheel" and plan adventures such as this. I know I will be.
on 23 October 2013
An entertaining and informational account of their journey through Europe. I particularly enjoyed the section on Poland, and as I presently live in Sopot on the Baltic coast, I was interested in their impressions. From an American point of view, it must seem so culturally different than they were used to. Their description of the Canal du Midi is perfect as somewhere I aspired to visit and consequently will, due to their admirable description of the trail.
These authors have a gratifying way of describing such an amazing tour of Europe, concentrating on self gratification, at the end of a long ride, rather than the lows of a difficult slog up a mountain.
Their continuous optimism made for easy reading and very useful for anyone planning on cycling the same or similar routes.
on 7 March 2014
from the description it sounded like a cycle tour of Europe, when you start reading the book you discover that there was a lot of rail trips included.
that said it was still a good book, the advice section at the back would be handy if you were planning going to Europe.
on 6 September 2013
I quite enjoyed this journey which encompassed most of the continent of Europe using the most convenient
means of transport to cover a distance beyond bicycle capability, given the limited time available. It was well
thought out.
on 26 July 2014
disappointed. only half the book is actually about the journey, the rest is 'simple' guide to cycle touring. they spent too long on the train for my liking and as such they did the easy canal side cycling but backed off when the going got tough. I guess this is what they wanted to do, but I would have preferred a little more staying in the saddle and learning about the journeys into the city centres they avoided. I also found their 'little tips', such as smile, be flexible, learn the basics of the languages, somewhat patronising and completely unnecessary for anyone who has ventured outside the security of a Walmart store. not for me.

I have cycled some parts of their journey.. So reading about these was good.
on 16 December 2013
I was a little sceptical about this American author at first since as a nation they do seem to think they are God's gift to humanity but I was wrong. This book and its author break the mold. I sincerely hope his fellow countrymen read and practice the advice given in the book rather than coming to Europe and trying to ram the US down our throat. That aside, it's a great book for anyone contemplating a cycle tour of Europe. Recommended.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 March 2014
I love cycling so read anything connected to it.
A collection of events over a few weeks holiday.
A bit frustrating in parts as normal touring events are blown up into problems but it did make me feel that if they have problems like that and can write a book I should get pen to paper.
I did like their honesty though.
on 28 June 2015
If you want to read a book about the quest to find cheap places to eat and sleep but very little about the journey itself then you may enjoy this.
on 2 February 2014
It felt like I was doing the cycling and wish to extend my thanks to the author for sharing his story.
on 16 March 2015
Did not realize there is a lot of train travel in this and it is very American