4.0 out of 5 stars NEX-3N Great Little clicker
I have bought this camera to fill the gap between my dslr canon 6d and small point and shoot camera. I am using it on daily basis for my personal project I have started recently. Here is what I have learnt about the sony nex-3n.
First I have to say I am very pleased with Image Quality I am getting from it.
I really like how small and light it is yet comfortable...
Published 10 months ago by Mr. Juraj Lacko

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for stills disappointing for video
You might think "why worry about video on a still camera" but if you think that then you haven't been using some of the new Sony still cameras for video recently.

Having a dedicated video camera makes very little sense unless you do nothing but video.

I own the Sony HX9, RX100, A77 and A99 and all video at 50/60 progressive scan so I was quite...
Published 15 months ago by Mr. D. J. Wilson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars NEX-3N Great Little clicker, 27 Sep 2013
Mr. Juraj Lacko (London) - See all my reviews
First I have to say I am very pleased with Image Quality I am getting from it.
I really like how small and light it is yet comfortable to hold in my hands.
It is very quick in operation. The settings I often use I have assigned to ISO button (ISO, WB, focus area, af/mf, metering, and creative style) The Lower button I have assigned to exposure lock. The shooting program can be changed quickly since I only press the middle button, turn dial and confirm with the middle button. It is fast and easy.
I like face detect feature on sony and I wish my canon could do it too (I know it is available in live view but it is too slow hence not usable for me.
The screen - I really like articulated screen and not missing a viewfinder at all to my surprise. The screen resolution is satisfactory. I have the screen Brightness turned to the max. and I can see what I am doing on sunny day outdoors.
Build in flash is welcome bonus for occasional fill in and I love I can pull it backwards and bounce it of a ceiling or a wall - what a great idea!
The zoom rocker around shutter button is nice feature too and I use it more often than controls on the lens itself.
The Battery last me for long time between charges but I will get a spare one later on. Charging is done inside the camera and the camera can Not be used while charging, What a pity!
Another con is when I want to play video. I have to go to menu and choose to play video and video format I have recorded video in. Never seen anything like that before. Video quality is very good at low ISO setting. I don't see much of the difference between sony and canon.
The kit Lens itself is very good between 25-50mm setting. The 16mm setting I try to avoid as there are made too many compromises in terms of the optical quality.
Over all this kit is a good combo for me and I found myself neglecting canon dslr in use a lot since I have bought sony. The sony is not perfect of course, but it very good indeed. In capable hands this camera can produce stunning images. I have tried many camera brands and models and this one is up there in this price range. I would recommend this kit to anyone who wants small and light camera with dslr quality images output which doesn't cost an arm and leg or a kidney :-)
Good light all and Thanks for reading. I will update once I will find out something new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, superb picture quality, 23 April 2013
WNS (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
I have had a DSLR for some time, but wanted something a little more portable. I have had a couple of high Mp point and shoots, but was always disappointed with the picture quality. This NEX 3N is absolutely lovely. I was torn with getting the 5R, as on the high street the prices are almost the same (20 difference), and I love gadgets, but despite a better focussing system, wifi and touch screen I was won over by the smaller power zoom 16-50 lens, auto zoom button around the shutter button and built in pop up flash. The 5R flash is included but needs to be screwed in to the top The screen is not great in sunlight and maybe a 5R with an add on viewfinder would have been better in that regard, but it's a pricy extra, and I really wanted something that was a bit more all-in-one ready to go for an every day carry around camera.

The low light ability is very good (especially if you want a more natural light and don't want to use flash), and if you want to leave it in the Sony auto modes it is a fantastic P&S. You can also play with all the manual settings just like a DSLR and experiment with different shutter speeds and apertures or go to manual for complete control. Some people may not find the digital menus as intuitive as you have to jump into a menu to change shooting modes, but its actually quick to do and is almost as quick as turning a manual wheel.

I am an enthusiastic photographer but by no means an expert and for me this is the perfect everyday camera. I love the quality of the pixels as I crop a lot of my pictures. I zoom in on eyes and detail, and I love the realism and fine detail produced by by the APS-C DSLR sized sensor. I have tried a couple of the bridge cameras as I looked for compromise between size of DSLR plus lenses and obviously the awesome zooms they have is a huge advantage, but I couldn't live with the poor quality of the pictures from the smaller sensors. This camera doesn't have the zoom, and I may need to get a bigger lens to cover a better zoom range later, but most of my shots are family or landscapes. As a future purchase I am also tempted to get the sony e mount portrait lens or the much cheaper, but only f2.8 Sigma equivalent.

In summary DSLR quality pictures in a small'ish package that will suit both a point and shoot or a more advanced approach. if you are looking for even more of a mini DSLR that you can add more bits to (plus touchscreen and wifi and I think video may be better as well) then the 5R may be more suitable for a very similar price, but comes with the much larger standard lens and a screw in flash. I think you can purchase the 16-50 power zoom lens for about 170, but if you already have the 18-55 standard lens on the 5R then that may be a bit extravagant. Overall I am very pleased with this camera and give it the full five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stonking!, 15 July 2013
M. Gledhill - See all my reviews
I have two young daughters, so when I look for a new camera, I have one thing on my mind: when I press the shutter button, I want the camera to take a photo immediately, and not spend a few seconds attempting to focus before taking a lazy blurry photo of my daughters who've already run off to do something else.

With my Canon EOS-450d, photos are immediate, and fantastic quality. But who wants to carry a large SLR camera around all the time ?

We've previously owned three Sony compact cameras, each of which either stopped working or whose photos were becoming less sharp and more blurry. My last Sony camera, the HX-10, got great reviews and featured a "burst mode", where it would take a bunch of photos at once, then choose the sharpest. This seemed fine in theory, the reality was that it'd sometimes take 10 seconds to make this choice. If you wanted to take a second photo, well, you couldn't.. the camera was too busy, and that potential photo of your kids looking cute for once would be lost forever.

I vowed never to buy a Sony camera again... but then I bought this one.

It's amazing.
It's not quite small enough to slip into your pocket, that lens does stick out and add bulk, but, blimey, the photos are incredibly sharp and - most importantly - fast. With it's SLR-like sensor, the photos are instant, and the camera is straightaway ready to take the next photo.

Last night, I was even able to take a sharp photo of my girls, sleeping in bed, with barely any light in the room. Other than my large SLR camera, I've never seen a compact camera able to take such a good photo with such little light, without needing a tripod.

The camera's only downside is that it does have a flash, but it feels incredibly cheap and tacky. You press the Flash button, and a little flash box springs out on a wobbly plastic arm. Then you need to manually push it back into the frame when you're done with it. It's completely unlike the high quality of the rest of the camera.

The choice of whether or not to buy this camera comes down to one thing. Go along to your local camera shop, try it, and take two or three photos, one after another. Once you see how quickly it can take consecutive photos, and the sharpness of the quality, you just need to decide whether you don't mind the extra bulk, compared to carrying around a compact camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, 10 Dec 2013
stepping up from mobile phones and cheap digital cameras.....
this appears to be a very good camera for the price.
the pictures it takes are in a different league from anything ive used previously, and yet its just as simple to use when left in automatic settings.
All in all, it seems to of been a really good purchase for trying to get more into photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for the money, 1 Feb 2014
Pe James "pauluk" (uk) - See all my reviews
Great camera and well discounted at the moment seems a bargain a lot of bang for buck.
Wanted a lightweight small camera with APS-C crop and this fitted the bill, images are very clear
High quality, the low noise at 800 to 3200 iso is extremely good the output is very similar to crop sensor camera.
I have bigger Dslrs but its nice to have somthing coat pocketable.
Featurewise it has some basic features like picture effects but also has top end features like micro adjustment for lenses which is used for front or back focus issues also white balance temp scale which are found on top end cameras.
It has some great auto options and styles. The movie mode is so easy to use as well with very good stereo sound picture quality quite reasonable. Has Hdr and dynamic range adjustments.
Downsides not many but
Built in flash not that strong Guide 4 but works ok with higher iso .
Battery charging on camera is not the best.
All in all a great little camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the camera enthusiast., 15 Nov 2013
Mr. A. Mullis - See all my reviews
Superb camera giving excellent images. Caution if you just need a point and shoot camera, this is a very advanced technical camera .

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little camera, 26 May 2014
I've been looking for some time for a small camera with a decent sized sensor and this comes close to meeting my expectations (in the price range I was looking!)

The things I like about it are its compactness, the picture quality, the interchangeable lenses, the articulating screen (although it only tips up, not to the side or down which would have been better), and the amount of manual control I have.

What I'm not so keen on is the menu system which takes some time to get used to and many options seem, to me, to be in illogical places. You can, to some extent, customise the control wheel to quickly access some of the more used items to be readily available but I'd still prefer a hardware dial somewhere! It would also be nice to have a separate EVF and whist you can increase the LCD brightness, it is well buried in the menu system making it tricky to switch between the levels. Most of my shooting is outdoors so I tend to just leave it at the brightest setting as the battery life seems to be pretty good anyway.

It would also have been nice to have interval timing for time-lapse but this only seems to be available on the next model up in the range.

Overall I'm pleased with the camera and the resulting photos.

4.0 out of 5 stars The package, minus one thing, 15 May 2014
Great all-round camera, just missing a view-finder! The glare on the screen during sunshine makes it really hard to see what you're photographing so a view finder or sunshine-friendly screen would be my only addition

5.0 out of 5 stars great camera, 9 May 2014
The camera was a family gift & it is being used a lot, great camera & easy to use. Regards Dave Mulherron

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying for non professional photographers., 17 Mar 2014
I am really happy with this camera. I am not a professional photographer, but I really wanted a camera that allowed me to "play" with the settings, control exposure, iso etc... I really could buy a dlsr for the same price, but I preferred this one because specially of its size. If you intend to travel with this camera, this is a really great deal, once this camera does not draw to much attention because of the size. Plus, you have the option of changing the lens! I did not try it yet, but I wil. I did not have any problems with this product.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›