4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Live Album
Published 15 months ago by U Dick

1.0 out of 5 stars Japanese Sushi!
Published 15 months ago by thomsonjon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Live Album, 24 April 2013
U Dick "heavy-duty" (Stevenston, Ayrshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Made In Japan (2cd+dvd) (Audio CD)
In vogue with most other rock bands, Whitesnake have saturated the market with live albums in the past few years. Hot on the heels of the vintage "Live At Donington 1990" we get a more recent offering recorded in Japan. Don't let the unimaginative title put you off, after all, David Coverdale's old band Deep Purple recorded the definitive "Made In Japan" and NO live collection bearing the same name will ever top it. Couldn't they have given a little more thought as to what to call it? The past few live albums have been pretty repititious. This one differs in that it contains live tracks from the previous two studio albums "Good To Be Bad" and "Forevermore" and very little from the early days, only two tracks predate "1987". The DVD is entertaining enough. A single live CD was always going to miss out a few favourites, which is disappointing as the long drum solo loses it's impact without the visuals and could easily have been excised. I can't imagine listening to it more than once. The bonus CD is worth having as it contains "soundcheck" recordings of songs not performed at the show. They even left in the between song banter between the band members. All in all, for the price here which is good value for a 2 CD/DVD combo, very worthy of a punt.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent package.., 28 April 2013
Mr Blackwell (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Made In Japan (2cd+dvd) (Audio CD)
So there i am walking along in Glasgow,have a quick look in the second hand shop,there it is, Whitesnake's new release,its been out 2 days,7 for a 3 disc set!!,what do i do,its been a while since 'Snake releases would be an automatic purchase,is it that bad that someone ditched after 48 hrs?,its a bargain price,cant have been played that much,i'll take the chance.

Well so glad i did,this buries the last 'Live' disc,superb sound,Coverdales voice.really good,suspiciously so,the Dvd is excellent and the carrot is the bonus disc of soundchecks ,really excellent.

Although my preference would be Whitesnake circa 1980/81,music and musicians,i still like a lot of the 'Modern Snake',ha ha modern,he been like this since '87,all ramped up ,blues a thing of the past,in the main though he's still produced the goods,that the case here...

opening with a metallic monster version of 'Best Years' followed by an amped up version of 'Give Me All Your Love..',theres no time for subtlety,straight for the throat,highlights are definitely the star turn of 'Steal Away Your Heart' and 'Forevermore' and i quite like the lusty version of 'Fool For Your Lovin'

There are a couple of negatives,plain madness to include a drum solo,the guitar solo while excellent should have been omitted as well,a couple of tracks have that irritating I'll start singing but the crowd can finish the verse/chorus game.On the whole though its a decent live disc.

The Dvd is well shot and captures the moment well and the bonus disc is fabulous,very few duplications of tracks and some superb renditions of tracks from the last studio disc.

I can certainly recommend this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Japanese Sushi!, 29 April 2013
This review is from: Made In Japan (2cd+dvd) (Audio CD)
Having been a fan of Whitesnake for more years than I care to remember I was looking forward to seeing if DC still has what it takes in the vocal department & also to see if this current line up of musicians were up to scratch (at the time of writing this the line up has changed yet again). Taking the same title from the most seminal live album of all time I thought was a little dangerous if not down right rude as nothing was ever going to live up to the MKII Purple offering from those halcyon days when British rock bands ruled the world!
So does it measure up?? The answer is an emphatic NO!!
The concert itself is just a barrage of noise filled with unnecessarily long solos (I am a drummer myself & even I find lengthy drum solos boring even with the added circus tricks of using chopsticks, etc). I assume this was done to give DC a break to rest his larynx which was seems a tad ridiculous as his vocals are drowned out by the rest of the band in the horrendous mixing of this album. Staying with the mixing I have my doubts if this is the actual live recording as DC doesn't seem to be singing in sync with the video & at times his microphone is so far away from his mouth it's a wonder it managed to pick up his voice at all ... also when he speaks the volume of his voice goes up a few decibels & becomes crystal clear???? This is supposed to be in stereo & 5.1 surround sound so when I placed it into my home cinema set up I was expecting a selection in the menu to choose which option I would like to listen to ... there is no selection option & I remain unconvinced that this isn't a pseudo 5.1 mix as nothing was coming from the back speakers plus the separation is virtually non existent.
All in all this album is a total disappointment with the small exception of the bonus CD which was quite interesting & it's price point ... maybe the clue should have been there for me that a DVD + 2 CD's if they were of a superior quality would have carried a much higher price tag.
My advice would be to avoid this like the plague or perhaps download some of the bonus material for the pure fun of it & save yourself some money because none of the live tracks in this very short set list are any improvement on the studio versions of the same songs, in my humble opinion they are far inferior.
I remember as a child that if I was bought a toy that carried the words "Made In Hong Kong" it invariably turned out to be cheap rubbish that didn't last very long ... maybe that would have been a more apt title for this offering.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disastrous sound!!, 3 May 2013
C. Robertson "CR" (COLCHESTER, ESSEX United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Made In Japan (2cd+dvd) (Audio CD)
I was really looking forward to this but the sound on both the cd and dvd make it sound as if it was produced by the drummer's proud mum! I have played the cd on my hi-fi systems at home and in the car, and the dvd on a soundbar system. Each time I feel as if I have been bludgeoned! The drums and bass totally dominate, turning the bass level down still doesn't really improve things.

So - great songs but I won't be playing or watching, either very often! I'm really disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as expected, 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: Made In Japan (2cd+dvd) (Audio CD)
As a lifelong Whitesnake and David Coverdale fan I thought the value for money was great. However, the sound mix is not really up to the standards that I exected and, even as a pro musician myself, I find it difficult at times to hear the key and tonal centres. Individual players are of course top quality. Pity; better sound engineering would have given it 5 stars in my view.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whitesnake Rocking The World !!!!, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Made In Japan (2cd+dvd) (Audio CD)
I Saw Whitesnake twice on this tour , I was Lucky enough to see them at Hammersmith Apollo in June 2011 , and again when they returned at The Newport Centre on 7th December 2011 , this dvd shows Why Whitesnake are one of the hardest working rock bands , still touring 35 years after starting Whitesnake and David Coverdale's Voice Is Maturing like a Fine Wine , ARE WE Ready , YES WE ARE !!!!!!!!! and i cant Wait For May 26 th 2013 at the motorpoint arena , Cardiff , When i sample The Fine Wine For The 7th Time !!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars No Venom In The Heart Of The City., 18 May 2013
This review is from: Made In Japan (2cd+dvd) (Audio CD)
Nothing new from one of my favourite bands, CD1 just about rescues the package music wise, as for CD2 the less said the better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loud, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Made In Japan (2cd+dvd) (Audio CD)
Many people seem to dislike this new Live release; while I agree that the setlist is a bit short and that I could have done without yet another version of "Is this love", "here I go again" and "Fool for your loving", I think the rest of the set (including the solo) is really good. It's heavy and raw and really LOUD!
Brian Tichy is a damn fine drummer and his sound is not far from the lates John Bonham or Cozy Powell.
I have to admit that I like the down-tunning of the songs as well (must be the only one though!).
DC delivers some great, rough, raspy vocals. He's absolutely amazing in the newer tracks (especially the beautiful Forevermore).
And as a bonus disc you got a whole album of rehearsal and acoustics versions of newer tracks from the last two albums showcasing a more relaxed band and giving both a feel of intimacy and laidback attitude.

Can't comment on the dvd as I bought the Japanese version featuring two bonus tracks on disc II, but no dvd.

In short, a very good live album, very loud, missing a couple of songs. A complete different mood and style than (of course) LiTHotC and even LiTSotB.

Okay, some find the album title a bit offensive, but frankly I see it more as a nod to the greatest live album of all time!

If you like your Hard rock THICK and ballsy...Here's one for ya!

4.0 out of 5 stars nice combo, 28 April 2013
This review is from: Made In Japan (2cd+dvd) (Audio CD)
This 2 CD- 1 DVD set is nice to have for all WS fans. The sound is pretty good, and maybe this will be a testimony because Coverdale's voice is slowing going away, indeed there are probably so many solos to let him rest. He still has this distinctive tone of course, but he can t do the screaming etc anymore. The set list is ok, mostly based on recent stuff but they have made so many live albums that they don t need to cover "lovehunter" and the like. The drum solo is really a miss on this one, they shoul dhave included another song and I always skip this. The DVD is interesting, and basically I would recomment this to WS fans but newcomers should turn to oldies like "live in the heart".

3.0 out of 5 stars Whitesnake Made in Japan, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: Made In Japan (2cd+dvd) (Audio CD)
Live Album a bit disappointing, heard better live performances on previous Whitesnake Live Albums. Acoustic CD worth listening to though..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Made In Japan (2cd+dvd)
Made In Japan (2cd+dvd) by Whitesnake (Audio CD - 2013)