on 31 May 2013
LONG REVIEW FOLLOWS:

SSDs offer the best performance but the obstacle remains the price. 500gb SSDs have dropped a lot but the popular 256gb sized drives are priced much the same as they were a year ago. If you are a Laptop user, unless you're willing to either spend a lot of money, compromise on storage space or have a laptop with space for more than one storage drive, SSDs are not suitable and this is where Hybrid drives can come in.

The hybrid drive uses a small amount of fast NAND memory to act as a cache for frequently accessed data and thus speeds up the drive considerably. Seagate's new line of Hybrid drives sees 8GB of NAND as standard. The 750gb model makes way for a 1TB drive and both drives now use spindle speeds of 5400rpm. Seagate also claim the incorporated algorithm that caches data has been improved (common writes as well as common reads are now cached). If you still want a 7200rpm Hybrid drive, snap up the 750gb Momentus quickly as it is discontinued.

Installing in an old 2008 Macbook Pro was easy, I opted to restore from a Time Machine backup as I wanted my drive exactly as it had been though a clean install and use of Migration Assistant (or windows equivalent) is probably the best option for an error free experience. I would try to avoid drive cloning unless it's really necessary.

As with the old Momentus drive, the first boot wasn't particularly impressive as the algorithm had yet to determine what data to cache but after I'd restarted 3 times, things were definitely faster.

Some figures:
From a cold start, I timed how long it took to reach the grey Apple logo, how long to fully load the desktop and a total boot to desktop time:
5400rpm HDD: 39 seconds, 38 seconds respectively. 1 minute 17 total
Old 500gb Momentus: 18.58 seconds, 21.22 seconds respectively. 39.8 seconds total.
1TB SSHD: 7.8 seconds, 16.52 seconds respectively. 24.32 seconds total.

Booting up into a tab heavy Firefox session took the old HDD 3 minutes, the Momentus a minute and this drive 42 seconds (which, if memory serves is not far off the Samsung 830 SSD I once used).

As well as a faster boot, more programs I use regularly open in a flash. I used to find that quite a few regularly used programs remained sluggish to load but now far more have speedy launch times (not all, you'd still have to go SSD if you want everything quickly). For those things that are not cached, I couldn't detect any real lag compared to the Momentus despite the slower spindle speed with the added bonus that the drive is now noticeably quieter (though power usage is higher).

It's disappointing that Seagate didn't go beyond 8gb for the cache. Other manufacturers make cache SSDs of up to 50gb. Seagate claim that 8GB is the sweetspot, enough to cache 98% of the unique read data of a "typical corporate user". Ideally, it would be nice if Seagate could produce a genuine 2-in-1 hybrid with separate SSD and HDD partitions, allowing laptop users the same option as desktop users of a SSD boot drive and HDD archive drive. This is likely a way off and for all we know, SSD prices may plummet before that but at the very least a version with a bigger cache would be great in the near future.

PROS:
Fast SSD like performance. There are improvements over the previous Momentus drives and massive improvements over conventional HDDs. The SSHD is now even closer to the perfomance of a SSD despite using a slower spindle speed HDD. Pricing remains fantastic, the 500gb model currently costs a quarter the price of an SSD equivalent whilst the 1TB version costs a fifth of a 1TB SSD, a lot more money for a performance boost many users wouldn't even notice. At time of writing, the cost of one of these Hybrid drives would likely still only get you a 128gb SSD. The drive is also quieter than its predecessor and seems to run far cooler.

CONS:
This remains SSD-like performance rather than a genuine SSD. You will not find everything on your machine to be magically faster. Another downside is power consumption, according to Seagate spec sheets, these drives use almost double the power of other 2.5" drives. It won't send power bills through the roof but will probably reduce battery life. Finally is the fact that as a HDD, it carries with it all the frailties of the tech. The use of an SSD isn't license to throw your laptop around but in those horrifying moments when your laptop falls off a table, you can be fairly sure that while your laptop might not be okay, your data probably is. This isn't the case here.

FINAL LINE

As before, the SSD would offer far greater performance than the SSHD overall but it still comes back to price and capacity. SSD prices and capacities have improved a lot at the high end but still remain inaccessibly expensive for most users. If you want speed but don't want to spend huge amounts, you're still going to have keep a lean computer running from a small capacity SSD or go with the SSHD almost as good performance and plenty of space.
77 comments|261 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 3 January 2014
There are many Hard Drives you can choose when it comes down to upgrading your PS4. Although it is worth pointing out some essential facts that you need to know. Firstly any drive you chose must be no thicker than 9.5mm, be a minimum of 160GB (in case you were thinking of installing an SSD) and the drive should conform to the 2.5 inch standard. Although you won't find it on any official PlayStation literature the drive that the PS4 comes with runs at 5400RPM and i would advise you stick to that spin speed as any faster and you increase the heat produced and the last thing you want to increase is the heat especially as the drive sits in a confined space.

This particular drive is a 1TB (so 1000GB) Solid State Hybrid Drive, meaning it has a combination of a traditional hard drive and a small Solid State Drive built in. The Operating System and programs that you use a lot of will automatically get stored on the SSD for fast access. This essentially means boot up times and loading screens are cut short (anywhere between 20-50%) although install times and downloads remain the same.

It really is a great innovation on the part of Seagate to combine the two type of drive and at a very reasonable price, a standard drive for space and a small SSD for the things that really matter and it makes this ideal for the PS4 or indeed any computer. The two drives are completely integrated into each other so don't go thinking you have to mess around configuring what gets saved where, the hard drive does that work for you and only the most used things are placed there. This drive is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

Now i want to give you a quick walkthrough for those that need help in the upgrade process. Firstly, Before you begin you will need a memory stick with at least 1GB capacity and please ensure there is nothing else on it. Then you need to format or re-format it through your computer to "fat32". Once complete, create a folder called "PS4" and inside that folder create another one called "UPDATE" ensuring they are in capital letters!! After you have done that leave the memory stick plugged into your computer!!

You then need to go to the following website if you are in the UK... WEBSITE LINK found in the comments section at the bottom of the review ... Click the "download now" link half way down the page and Save it to your memory stick inside the UPDATE file. ENSURE the file is named "PS4UPDATE.PUP"

Once saved to your memory stick you can proceed to remove the existing hard drive inside the console. You will require a PHILLIPS HEAD screwdriver and obviously the new Hard drive.

1) The hard drive location within the PS4 is very easy to access, it is directly underneath the glossy black section on the top and to gain access all you need to do is to slide that section off by pushing it to the left if you are looking at the console with the disk drive towards you, use both hands and push it about an inch. It should then lift off, be careful not to snag the clips underneath.

2) you should immediately see the hard drive cage exposed at the front, right at the corner of the machine will be a special screw with the 4 PlayStation logos on it (circle, triangle, cross and square), this is the one and only screw you remove at this stage and you will require a Phillips head screwdriver for this part and do it manually i.e. don't use an electric screwdriver!!

3) The hard drive tray should then be able to slide right out. Then use the Phillips head screwdriver to remove the 4 screws (2 either side) that are holding the hard drive inside the tray, KEEP THE SCREWS SAFE!

4) Replace the old hard drive with the new one you bought ensuring you place the new one in the same way the old one comes out with the connectors facing inside the console and the label facing upwards and then use the 4 screws to secure the new hard drive inside the tray.

5) Slide the tray back into the hard drive bay and secure it with the special PlayStation screw, then simply replace the black plastic cover on the PS4 the same way you took it off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

6) Plug the PS4 into the power and connect up to the TV, connect the DuelShock 4 controller using the cable to the PS4 console and then in the spare USB port connect the memory stick which has the new software on it.

7) Touch the power button for at least seven seconds. The PS4 system starts in safe mode.

8) Select "Initialize PS4(Reinstall System Software)" which should be option 7. Follow the instructions that appear on screen. (installation should take around 5 minutes)

9) The PS4 should reboot like it was a new system, follow the instructions on screen!

Very best of luck, any problems please don't hesitate to ask and as for the hard drive on this page i FULLY RECOMMEND IT!!
1212 comments|198 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 May 2014
hi got this item due to wanting more memory and faster boot up times for the games. it did just that i noticed a difference in the boot up time and got double the space for less than £80 which is quite reasonable. I think that if this item came down to £40 i would defoo buy a few
on 23 July 2015
I'm going to keep it simple and less technical so people can see a quick review. Fantastic Product. Packaged very well. Used for my Playstation 4. After the operating system is installed, you have 893GB free memory. Speeds up the PS4 by a fair bit, loading screens are a lot faster. By far cheaper than buying the 1TB console. Easy to install, takes 10 mins. Couldn't have asked for more. fantastic!
VINE VOICEon 26 March 2014
I fitted this HD to my Lenovo laptop. The performance was excellent - faster access, more capacity. Six weeks later, a blue screen of death. Tried disk diagnostics tools, tried Scandisk. Tried to reformat the disk and reinstall my data but the disk was recognised one moment then not recognised the next moment. I assume the disk or its controller must have failed. I have asked Amazon for a refund and they didn't quibble. I was all set to order another one and then decided to play safe and go for a Western Digital 1TB drive without hybrid qualities, much cheaper and perhaps more likely to keep going for a few years. And I shall of course keep good backups!
on 19 May 2014
To give some context to this review, I bought this drive to upgrade my Dell Latitude 6510 which has 8GB RAM and an Intel i7 processor. I use it mainly as a desktop with a docking station and two screens, and found eventually the 320GB hard drive wasn't quite enough. For software, it's Windows 7 with VirtualBox to run Linux VMs, but lots of video editing (High Definition home videos), Photoshop (CS4), a bit of programming/scripting and general office stuff.

The previous hard drive was a 320GB drive spinning at 7,200rpm and also made by Seagate. Despite seeming reasonably quick, it was not a SSHD drive, but I wanted extra capacity so could not justify a fully SSD solution. At less than £100 this seemed an obvious compromise especially in a laptop where there is only one bay (unless you are willing to lose the DVD drive).

Upgrading was simple - I connected the new drive via a USB external hard drive caddy and used Seagate's DiscWizard software to migrate. This is a great bit of free software which can be used to backup drives so long as the source or destination is Seagate. It lets you keep the same geometry (ie. partition size), resize in proportion, or in theory lets you set it manually. I went for the manual option but ended up with it resized in proportion. I then used a Linux live CD with gparted to sort it all out. Other options there would be Linux DD. In most cases, Discwizard and the Windows standard tools would be sufficient (especially if you do not run Linux).

Many articles I have read suggest performance is best if you reinstall operating system and applications. I have no doubt this is true and will revisit this, but I wanted to get up and running quickly.

Once done, I swapped out the hard drive (again very simple procedure) and switched on. Everything worked right away (to my surprise) and I've had to do nothing since.

To explain the SSHD concept... it is a standard hard disk drive featuring an 8GB cache (solid state) which automatically caches the bits of the disk you use more. Because this optimisation is done at the hardware level it works with any operating system and has no additional overhead. Seagate has determined that 8GB is sufficient cache size here (as that is what gets used over and over again), although I can't help but feel 16GB for slightly more cost would be worthwhile. The drive is a bit slower than my previous one at 5,200rpm (standard laptop fare as it has lower power consumption).

The truth though is in the testing, and I have done some basic testing of a series of operations to see how the machine performed before the upgrade, immediately after the upgrade and 2 weeks later. The results below are all in seconds.

Load Windows 98, 61, 61
Load Photoshop 14, 10, 4,
Render a 20 minute video 9m 15s, 4m 36s, 9m 4s
Shutdown 55, 13, 13
Hibernate 40, 23, 28
Power from Hibernate 30, 44, 48
Sleep 14, 7, 4
Power from Sleep 14, 10, 9

These tests are only indicative as I did not do them over and over again (I did reboot before each test though) - some observations:
- I saw a 33% improvement in boot time, and a bigger improvement on application loading. The sleep/hibernate features were also quicker
- The video rendering stats are a bit suspicious - I wonder if it used the cache initially as I had not filled it
- Wake from hibernate was slower, but I wonder if that is due to the slower disk speed

These tests are far from conclusive in that I should really reinstall the machine, but given I now have three times the hard drive capacity, 30-50% performance improvement for most tasks, and all for less than £100, this has to be a winner... highly recommended.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 December 2013
I have a couple of Alienware laptops (M11 & M14) both running Windows 7. I'm generally quite pleased with them but was curious if there was anything I could do to speed up boot and shut-down times.

True SSDs are still way to expensive and don't offer the capacities of the old fashioned 'hard disk' so I was interested in a compromise.

Initially, I tried the predecessor of this drive (the Seagate 750GB Momentus XT) in the M14. It did improve boot times but occasionally became unresponsive at power up requiring me to switch off and back on again. Not a major problem but a little annoying.

When the 1TB SSHD came out, I decided to give it a go. Whilst I have only been using it for about a week, it has improved the boot times even more than the Momentus XT.

One word of warning, the 1TB version of this drive is not 'super-slim'. It has a height of 9mm which is fine for most laptops. However, some laptops can only take a 7mm drive in which case you will need to buy the 500Gb version. If you already have an Ultra-book, it will already have a SSD in which case it is doubtful you will see much benefit from a 500Gb SSHD.

In case anyone is interested I used a 'Lindy USB 2 & eSata Docking and Clone Station' to clone my old drive onto the SSHD. It does the whole job without any messing around with software, no connection to the computer required and took about 3 hours.

Anyway, first boot after cloning and Windows 7 took a lot longer to start, came up with something about installing a driver and prompted me to reboot. This I did and again Windows took a while to get going. Not to be put off, I left it running for 5 minutes and then rebooted again. This time, it was quicker. So, I decided to reboot again and that was noticeably quicker than the third boot.

After that,the boot time seems to have settled down to be fairly consistent. I can now get from pressing the power switch to a usable Windows desktop in under 30s.

Once in the Windows desktop, everything launches extremely quickly (so far). I guess that eventually things will reach a point where the cache gets full but the only real way of avoiding that would be a true SSD and that will set you back probably 6 times what this costs for the same capacity.

One thing I did notice was that after the monthly Microsoft updates were applied, the boot time slowed down for another 4 reboots. I'm guessing that something was changed which made the caching software in the SSHD decide that it needed to relearn what files it should be storing in the solid state memory.

I haven't noticed any noise from the drives although the fans on the Alienware laptops are so noisy that I wouldn't expect to hear anything else.

For me this drive is a big improvement over both a regular HDD and my previous Hybrid drive. As I said in my title, I liked it so much that I have bought another one and installed it in the M11. That is also showing a significant shortening in boot & shutdown times. In fact, given that the M11 is a lower spec machine, I think it is showing an even greater improvement than the M14.

As usual, if I encounter any problems, I will update my review
on 9 May 2013
I bought this product to replace my MacBook Pro hard drive which was getting a little slow and was running out of space. Seeing how much it cost to buy a SSHD I decided on the hybrid as it was as close as possible technology wise but far cheaper. After weeks deciding if I should buy the 750gb drive this newer model appeared. Its been in my Mac about 5 days now and boot up times have dropped massively. From what I've read these drives "learn" which applications/ programs you use most and open them using the 8gb SSD part. Firefox which I use a lot pops up almost instantly now when it would bounce around on my dock for a few seconds before opening. I bought it through Amazon Fulfilled and got it 3 days later.

The main part to take away is that

1 Its a far cheaper than a SSD
2.It will speed up boot/ opening times
3 Its only a little bit more than the 750gb model
on 19 October 2013
I use my Mac for simple iMovie and iDVD tasks.

iMovie performs about the same as before but iDVD performs about 3x faster than the previous 750gb HD. A 12 minute iDVD render now takes less than 3 minutes!

It also boots up 3 x faster the the previous HD.

I tried to use SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my OS and files but it failed on all 3 attempts! (7 hours each attempt later!)
Reinstalled OS X with correct partioning (GUID Partition Table) and migrated Apps (which took 24hrs) in the end!

It was a slog but well worth the hassle!
on 30 November 2013
Not really a lot to say - a google search will tell you all you need to know, however - for the bargain price this is offered for (i.e. a LOT cheaper than a full SSD), the speed boost of SSHD is welcome (it won't set the world on fire, but - put a standard PS4 beside one with this drive in, and you'll see you get things done quicker!) - also, with some games taking up to 40GB (probably more as time goes on) any extra space is definitely welcome.

VERY easy to install (a one armed chimpanzee could do it!) into a PS4 - just be sure to download the latest system software before hand, put it on a USB key, and - away you go.

Perfect upgrade - However, if you want the best value of all (don't really care about the speed boost, but 500GB is just not enough) you should definitely look at Samsung/Seagate 1TB 2.5 inch 5400RPM SATA II Hard Disk Drive :)