5.0 out of 5 stars Fab
Really love this series of books which get better and better each time. Again action packed, chopping zombies this time...... can't wait to read the next one!
Published 21 months ago by Mrs B

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Please note there will be spoilers for earlier books but nothing that the blurb of this book doesn't already give away.

Published 21 months ago by Claire's Book Corner

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 July 2013

I love this series....mmm, let me rephrase that, I love books 1-4 in this series. Book 5 not so much. For a start this book picks up immediately after book 4 finished, which is fine if you can remember everything that happened in book 4. I couldn't so I struggled as you don't get a recap of earlier events.

Next was the plot. I couldn't understand why Shia had to travel from New York to LA. Royce was saying it was because people were after her and it wasn't safe in NY but why couldn't Royce take care of her and why did Sara have to go as well? It seemed wishy washy to me.

Finally was the lack of the delectable vampire Alec Royce. In the previous 4 books Royce has always been pursuing Shia in a game of cat and mouse then at the end of book 4 Royce finally gets his prey. But now that has happened there is no teasing and flirting and I missed it. Plus as this instalment is set in LA with Royce back in NY we don't get to read much of him.

Whilst the story was ok, I found this book to be slow paced, especially the beginning. I had read reviews that there was a cliffhanger which I don't actually mind cliffhangers as they get you worked up and excited for the next book. So yes there is a cliffhanger but it hasn't got me in that frothy tizzy for book 6. Compared to the earlier books I was very disappointed with Forsaken by the Others, it wasn't a patch on books 1-4, so I am giving it 3 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Losing the plot, 23 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Forsaken by the Others (H&W Investigations Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
I have followed this series and for the most part enjoyed it, but this installment left me cold. I did not particularly like any of the protagonists as there was no depth to them. The heroine and her best friend stagger through crisis after crisis an by halfway through the book I had ceased to care if they made it through the day.

Skipping forward to the end trying to engage in the story - epic cliffhanger... At that point I gave up. I thought I had purchased a story but it felt like a less than good soap drama.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and full of snark!, 9 July 2013
While I enjoyed the last two book of the series - Deceived by The Others and Stalking The Others immensely, I had a feeling that Forsaken by The Others was a book between books to get to a necessary new development in the plot.

I did enjoy it, but perhaps not as much as I expected to.

Shiarra and Sara are sent to Los Angeles to hide with a local master vampire while Royce is trying to sort the mess out left by Shia's belt back in New York. Instead of well deserved vacation the girls are thrown straight into another crazy situation, forced to investigate a necromancer who is using zombies to kill off vampires in the area.

Sara and Shia have to follow the trail of zombie parts (gross as it may sounds) and use old-fashioned powers of deduction and lots of legwork. They have to talk to all the crazies in town - the werewolves, the White Hats and one really wacky master vamp, and these are the parts I really enjoyed reading. It was great two see these two gals working together as detectives. Sara also got some well-deserved attention at last, because she had to reveal problems she's been struggling with since Shia got involved with the Others.

There is great humour and snarkiness which Jess Haines does so well, but there is also a very rushed plot development and a grand cliffhanger in the end, so be ready for a shocker. Another thing I did not agree with is Royce unwillingness to take the girls problems seriously and send some help. I definitely wasn't happy with his response, but this might be just my quirk. *wink*

Overall, it's a very decent and fun story which you'll be able to read really fast as long as you're aware that it's a filler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 6 July 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 3 July 2013
This book was fantastic, I managed to read this book in less than 24 hours and 8 of those I was asleep. I seriously couldn't put this down. And the cliff hanger ending is amazing. I can't wait for the next instalment! Jess Haines you are an amazing author.

4.0 out of 5 stars werewolves, vampires ( the delicious alec royce!!) and adventure..., 2 July 2013
Forsaken By the Others (H&W Investigations) Jess Haines

ARC supplied by Netgalley for honest review.

I love urban/dystopian fantasy especially if it has a bit of romance in it. I'd read the first in this series when I originally stumbled on the genre a couple of years back when I ordered what I thought was a historical novel and it turned out to be fantasy.... Previously I'd never read this genre, assuming it was all Star Trek or middle earth Elves...how wrong I was! Anyway I didn't enjoy the first book, looking back it could be that the whole genre was just so new to me that I didn't absorb it properly. I do remember the delicious Alec Royce though (yum, a bad boy vampire is soo attractive), and if anything had tempted me into continuing with the series it would be him, so when I saw this book and that he was in it - I jumped at the chance to review.
Even though I've only read book one it wasn't difficult to pick up the storyline, Jess adds enough explanation without boring the reader so vis Shiarra's memories I was able to work out what had previously happened to a degree, and where it fitted within this book. I Loved Royce, but sadly he soon was off the scene except via a few phone calls :( As with most fantasy of this type Shiarra has problems caused by recent dealings with Others, and needs to get out of town along with her friend and business partner Sara for a while. Royce arranges for them to stay with another vampire in L.A.. All is not as it seems when they get there of course and Shiarra and Sara are plunged into further danger - they meet with a couple of acquaintances who help them, but its one rip roaring scenario after another - danger from the werewolves, danger from vampires and then danger from zombies and their necromancer master.
I enjoyed the book, it contains well thought out plots that join up perfectly and keep the reader guessing. I thought I'd guessed at the reason behind the Zombies but...I was only partway there - the answer was much more than I'd thought.
I loved the characters even though Shiarra annoyed me intensely at times - that doesn't matter, what does matter is that the people in a novel feel real, and then so does the action and danger. What I didn't like - arrgghhh a damn cliffhanger. I know its the lead in to the next book and the mysteries of this one are tied up neatly, but I just hate being left in limbo. It feels like I ought to still be reading. I can deal with lead-ins but not on this huge cliffhanger danger style :(
The book itself is well written and edited and a decent length at 352 pages. Priced at £3.72 its also excellent value, having enough in it to tempt the reader into re reads. Its definitely one for my keeper file. I'd like to go back now and read the books I've missed. and am so glad I gave the series a second chance. I think I'd enjoy book one so much more now I understand the genre better.
Stars: well i'd have gone for four and a half if not for that horrible hated cliffhanger at the end and the fact it'll be ages to wait before we find out what happens next...so I'm dropping half a star to give it four.