5.0 out of 5 stars *SPILER-FREE* A Thrilling Read! (For fans anyway!)
Published 2 months ago by L. Lockwood

2.0 out of 5 stars Comic Humour Loses The Plot
This is the worst of the three latest releases to feature the Eleventh Doctor on BBC Hardback Novels & there Audiobook adaptions as the overuse of humour completely ruins the seriousness of the plot bordering farcical at times & utter stupidity at others especially when it should be dramatic.

Tommy Donbavand here writes his first Doctor Who adventure & I hope...
Published 4 months ago by timelord007

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Comic Humour Loses The Plot, 28 Nov 2013
timelord007 (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Tommy Donbavand here writes his first Doctor Who adventure & I hope it's his last as he writes the Eleventh Doctor as far to much of a clown as the Doctor seems to be on a constant manic high like he has had one to many Red Bulls.

The plot is there as the premise of a entity feeding on peoples fear, Grief or negative emotions is a good one as under a more seasoned writer this would've been excellent but the inexperience of writing Doctor Who here is apparent as Donbavand doesn't know how to structure the story allowing humorous moments & drama to clash with one another instead of adding humour in less dramatic parts & leaving the drama to build up & flow when the story's pace needs it too, Not mix the two at the same time as it confuses the listener into thinking this story's one big joke & cannot be taken seriously.

Francis Barber narrates the Audiobook version to this Hardback Novel & to be fair does her best with the disappointing material that could have delivered so much better if it had a more experienced writer commissioned to have adapted this adventure instead of a inexperienced one.

Both the Hardback Novel & the Audiobook is one to avoid as it brings nothing of quality or excellence & is a wasted opportunity of a decent plot structure that's gone awry.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shroud of Sorrow, 10 July 2013
Keen Reader "lhendry4" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
23 November 1963, and PC Reg Cranfield is on duty at Totter's Lane when he sees a face that he should not be able to see. Then, on the same day, the Doctor and Clara arrive in Dallas, Texas to find that President J F Kennedy has been slain. Mae Callon, working on the Morning News issue also sees a familiar face from the past. What could these things have in common, and why does the Doctor see a threat nobody else can recognise?

This had the promise of a great story; with a spooky premise, and mysterious happenings set in a world that is relatable, Earth in 1963. But it all went rapidly downhill from there unfortunately.
There's an awful lot of this:
"Flash!"
And this:
"Bang!"
And characters called Flip Flop and Wobblebottom (!).
And the Doctor seems to be on some sort of permanent manic high which becomes rather wearing very quickly.

All in all, a vast disappointment of a Doctor Who novel.

1.0 out of 5 stars What?, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who: Shroud of Sorrow (Dr Who) (Kindle Edition)
Oh dear. I really am so disappointed with this book. It started off with so much promise. Faces of the dead appearing out of the fog, rain drops on windows and coffee stains on desks. Sounds suitably spooky, and it is.

Then it all goes terribly wrong.

A trip through a "wormhole" to another planet and disaster. Up to this point I was just able cope with Donbavand's take on the eleventh Doctor. Some aspects were spot on. But it just got too much. This wasn't Matt Smith's Doctor, but a clown with no sign of a serious, intelligent side.

Then to top it all we're introduce to some new characters. Meet Wobblebottom and Flip Flop! Just two of a group of clowns now saving the survivors of their planet from the effects of the Shroud. Absolute drivel!

With Wobblebottom, Flip Flop and a hundred other clowns, the Doctor and Clara return to Earth through the "wormhole" riding in a very small clown car. Apparently clown cars are based on Timelord technology and are the only other dimensionally transcendental objects in the universe. Kill me now!

Whoever allowed this travesty of a Doctor Who story to be published, well, they should be sacked immediately.

What promised to be the most original and spooky story of the three new releases turned out to be the worst. A book to be ashamed of. Avoid at all costs.

5.0 out of 5 stars *SPILER-FREE* A Thrilling Read! (For fans anyway!), 19 Jan 2014
This was my first Doctor Who novel which i bought on the 21st December 2013, it is now the 19th January 2014 and i am on my 3rd novel, all thanks to this beauty. I loved the historical theme and the characters we meet here are true gems. I cant praise this book enough for its thoroughness and page-turning story. The Shroud are a truly ingenious villain and the critically-rejected clowns add even more craziness to the mixture.

I can tell from some of the reviews left by others that this book is very much like Marmite, either you love it, or you hate it, there is no average.. for me, this is a FanFest of excellence with great tie-ins with the show.

Not gonna spoil anything, But there are references to almost EVERY companion (1963-2012)[previous to Clara]which add a hint of splendour to it.

Love it. Recommend more to 11s fans than anyone else. Buy it. Tommy Donbavand is a genious. I am reading 'Night Of The Humans' at the moment by David Llewellyn (11th doctor & Amy). Well into the novels, All thanks to this.

Regards,
Tom Lockwood.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shroud of Sorrow, 15 Jan 2014
Wow.

I want to post the blurb here, first of all.

"23 November, 1963

It is the day after John F. Kennedy's assassination - and the faces of the dead are everywhere. PC Reg Cranfield sees his late father in the mists along Totter's Lane. Reporter Mae Callon sees her grandmother in a coffee stain on her desk. FBI Special Agent Warren Skeet finds his long-dead partner staring back at him from raindrops on a window pane.
Then the faces begin to talk, and scream... and push through into our world.

As the alien Shroud begins to feast on the grief of a world in mourning, can the Doctor dig deep enough into his own sorrow to save mankind?"

You'd think that this is a relatively serious book, wouldn't you? One with quite a mature tone - after all, it does have a rather mature theme (death and the stages of grief), so you'd expect it to be a generally mature book, right?

And... well, I suppose it is in places. But in other places, it's the exact opposite. The tone is as malleable and inconsistent... clay in water? Does that analogy work? Probably not. But the point stands - the tone of this novel is ridiculous. You've some very serious moments on one end of the scale, such as the introductory scene for FBI Agent Warren Skeet (this scene fleshes out his backstory, and depicts the death of his former partner) but on the other side of things you have Wobblebottom.

Yeah, you read that right. Wobblebottom.
You see, around halfway through the novel the Doctor, Clara, Warren Skeet and Mae (another new character) travel to the previous world which the Shroud had attacked, and they find the remains of the civilization. In what should have been a very complex and intelligent segment of the novel, the Doctor & co find a group of crazed tribes, each defined by a separate feeling - different emotions took over after their grief was removed, and so they become Tremblers (fear) or Ragers (rage) or Wanters (averis). That's a pretty bold and interesting concept, I think, which should have been explored much more fully, and with a great deal more intelligence - instead we're soon introduced to Wobblebottom and Flip flop, leaders of the Circus resistance.
It's... it's a nice idea, that a Circus is trying to give people back their emotions through happiness... but it doesn't work, not in this scenario. It just undercuts everything that had been built up already. Not that much had, admittedly - the tone was always going to be an issue, what with the way the Doctor has been characterised in this novel. It's as though all the whimsy, all the jesting, all the not-at-all-serious-and-sometimes-borderline-irritating aspects of the Eleventh Doctor have been distilled and put into this (it really is a pastiche, the sort of thing you find in juvenile fan fiction. The Doctor even calls the TARDIS "sexy". Twice. Like... what?). It's a terribly misjudged piece of writing, one that doesn't deserve to be likened to Matt Smith's brilliant portrayal.

The other issue is a gratuitous overuse of continuity. And I mean that quite seriously - continuity is great, but this is too much. Way, way too much. A couple of examples -
> The policeman at Totter's Lane. (He's totally superfluous to the plot, sadly)
> 23 pages in, and we have a reference to Astrid. Seriously?
> The Fast Return switch is introduced in the most poorly written way ("What's that?" "Oh, it's the Fast Return switch") simply so it can be used as a plot device in a few pages time. (And it barely makes sense there either)

Given that the final confrontation is, essentially, a huge continuity fest (flashbacks from painful moments in the Doctor's lives) I would've expected all those little things to have been cut right down. They do get very, very distracting, and can bring you right out of it. Especially when it's wrong, for goodness' sake! (Admittedly, the larger moments - flashbacks and a joke sequence - do work very well, but they feel cheapened by all the other, prior references)

So... eh. This book was not a good one, to be honest. I'm not sure I'd reccomend it for anything beyond completion's sake, unless you enjoy that more whimsical tone of story. Certainly one to avoid if you're expecting a serious novel, in the vein of prior stories (I was actually expecting this to be sort of similar to Vampire Science, but... it couldn't be further removed from it)

2/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, funny, well-crafted, 21 Sep 2013
If you happen to follow me on Twitter, you would know by now that Doctor Who has taken over my life pretty much. So when I saw the beautiful New Series Adventures books in Waterstones in London back in March, it took all my self-control not to buy them. Alas, since then, the obsession has only grown, especially with my love of Whoufflé, and I could not stop myself any longer. I had no idea what to expect with a media tie-in book like this, but MAN was it enjoyable and captured the essence of the TV series perfectly.

What becomes apparent right off the bat is that Tommy Donbavand has such a great understanding of the Eleventh Doctor and Clara as characters. They sound completely genuine, which I suppose I was a bit nervous about (since Clara especially hadn't really been seen for long by the time this book was published). Especially the dialogue was top notch, and I found myself giggling like an idiot throughout most of the book. It was just Matt Smith. Totally.

The adventure in this book was also quintessentially DW. The Shroud are such a creepy freaking alien race, it pretty much gave me the shivers - as all good Doctor Who villains should. It even ended on a note reminiscent of the most famous episode ever, Blink, in that I'm going to have a bit of trouble not thinking I see the Shroud all around me. Creepy goodness!

I thought it was especially cool that elements of the series really came back in this book, like mentions of old characters, especially at the end, with memories of the Doctor saying goodbye to various companions over the years. It was not only cool, but that last scene was so emotional and beautiful. Also, I'm just going to put this out there, but there was a Mr. Williams, a veterinarian, in the US in the 1920s. Just. You know.

The only negative thing I have to note is that the ending is a bit confusing. I know Doctor Who is not exactly known for its thorough (and believable) explanations of science fiction elements, but the wormhole situation was poorly explained and felt a bit rushed to get the climax over with. But that ultimately didn't keep me from enjoying the book any less.

AND. As to the Whoufflé. There could have been more, but I totally understand that this is not fanfiction, haha. I love the dynamic between the two characters anyway, and Donbavand captured that perfectly. The subtle hints are good enough for me now and had me fangirling anyway.

"His words were drowned out by a piercing scream from the corridor outside. He flashed a grin at Clara. 'They're playing our song, dear.'

Clara held out her hand. 'Care to do the corridor quickstep?'" - Doctor Who: Shroud of Sorrow, Tommy Donbavand

"'Want to know what this friend is thinking right now?'

'What?' asked the Doctor. 'Is it that you'd like to be taller? Because I think you should be taller. When I hug you, I can feel your breath on my chest. It's weird.'" - Doctor Who: Shroud of Sorrow, Tommy Donbavand

That is all.

Summing Up...

A fun, quick read! For Doctor Who fans who are bookworms like me, I think this series is probably the perfect solution to tide us over in between series. I mean, how am I going to survive the wait until November now? I might buy some more of these.

Recommended To...

Any Doctor Who fans, really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super!!, 8 July 2013
I love doctor who this finished my collection thank you! Great buy and worth the money. I suggest to buy this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Who story for the Doctor and Clara., 3 July 2013
This story is very cleverly written and really portrays the Doctor and Clara's relationship brilliantly.

I would recommend this book to any Who fan new or old!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bored now..., 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who: Shroud of Sorrow (Dr Who) (Kindle Edition)
When you first start this it has a amazing and interesting with dark depth. Its a page turner how ever half way though it starts to really loose the plot. Get really strange and childish, I only carried on reading because the author pays tribute to a buffy episode "once more with feeling" its a spoiler but you wont figure it out from just that.
Anyways what i thought would be a amazing read and worth being filmed and produced soon burned down in flames once two new charaters show up and to be honest they are just bloody clowns.Apparently there is only another item on the earth that is like a tardis and that just mind blowingly stupid. so yeah start good, middle meh , end shite!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who: Shroud of Sorrow (Dr Who) (Kindle Edition)
First part of the book is especially good. Lost a little bit of interest towards the end the worth the read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xad57cb7c)

Doctor Who: Shroud of Sorrow (Dr Who)
3.59