on 29 August 2014
***I received the paperback free as a review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review***

Martin Dukes proved that he could create an interesting new world in his books that still relate to our own with Intersticia: the moment between moments, and he’s gone and done it again! We’ve moved from Intersticia to Zanzibar which is a universe parallel to the Middle Eastern. It’s incredibly well done, and there was no information dropping as he introduced us to a different world. This has often been a make or break aspect for me in previous novels, and the fact that he delivered it so fluently is a clear reflection of his talents as an author.

I found Zanzibar itself fascinating with its ruler Jalil usually referred to as The Sultan. He’s a very important character to the story as would expect, and in a way you see him change as much as the characters we knew from the prequel Caught in a Moment.

This of course includes Alex who has once again got himself stuck in a very sticky situation. He’s also managed to drag along Kelly and Henry, who with no previous involvement in any “weird” circumstances deals with it considerably well. So long as you don’t count the way his sharp tongue gets him into more than simple scratches and scrapes.

Kelly on the other hand, well she adapted a bit too well. I was always rooting for her simply because of the way Alex saw her, so I can’t help resent the way she cast him aside so much in favour for some of the other elements of Zanzibar. Unlike the others (particularly Alex) she grew too comfortable with her temporary surroundings. Meanwhile Alex was the voice of reason as he struggled not just with the surroundings but staying alive. Somewhere along the line she forgot this.

There was of course a lot of times where the fact they were different from the locals was made starting clear, and it never ended well. In Alex’s words “If this was ‘safety’, Alex could hardly imagine what ‘peril’ must be like.”

So in the end, with engaging characters and an enthralling plot Worm Winds of Zanzibar is a definite read for people who enjoyed Caught in a Moment. Looking back I see that you probably could start from this book in the series, but to properly appreciate and simply enjoy it to the full extent, you should read the first.

Posted on: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/
on 31 March 2013
After reviewing book 1 last year, Martin Dukes sent me book 2 to read, I knew it was coming so was anticipating it. I wanted to know what happened to Alex and Kelly after their stint in Intersicia and if they would get back there.
Again, I'm not really keen on the cover but it matches book 1 and does fit with the story.
Anyway, I set out with high hopes for this book, I think the world set up in book 1 was well detailed and imaginative and felt they had more to do there, I hoped this book would take us back there. I even wanted to know what became of Ganymede and the other people trapped there. I was slightly shocked when they don't go back there at all but was prepared to go with it.
This time Alex, Kelly and Henry (Alex's friend) end up transported to Zanzibar in the 19th Century, they must try to adapt to life there and learn customs to help them survive. Whilst there they meet up with some friends from Intersticia.
I liked the world building in this book, the details and reality of 19th Century Zanzibar was impressive and it really came to life off the page, for me that made the book, everything was just so rich and detailed. I could picture the setting clearly, but I did miss the magic and wonder of Intersticia. For me it lacked some of the charm and wonder of book 1.
There is a love triangle set up in this story, but to be honest I didn't totally believe the chemistry between Alex and Kelly in the first place, she was very moody and distant and quite fickle and Alex was very often too busy or preoccupied to even think about her - Kelly became a sort of after thought for him which meant for me, they just lacked the chemistry for it to be anything more than a mutual appreciation. But I did like the relationship between Kelly and Jamil.
Henry started out as the average friend, but soon became rather annoying. He has a big mouth and tends to get himself and his friends in trouble. He seems to have a lack of tact and thoughtfulness for others, he is very abrupt and tends to say what he is thinking. This sometimes has funny results and sometimes dangerous. I'm not sure I liked him and was sure on more than one occasion that he would get everyone killed or betray them - he just had that vibe to me.
I liked the apocalyptic threat in the book and the fact that it was sort of an underlying threat, something that would tip everyone over the edge after they had suffered through every other problem thrown thier way. If they all survived.
There was a host of interesting new characters and the new world was great but I did miss some of the spark of book 1. It just didn't have the same feel to me. I did still enjoy the story but it wasn't what I had expected. The writing itself was well done and Dukes does have a way with words, it just didn't capture my heart. I do want to know how it all wraps up as the ending was quite abrupt, so I will look out for book 3.
on 18 April 2014
I read Martin's first book which was most enjoyable, which led me into this one. A complete change of scenery awaits Alex and his friends, which you, as a reader, get taken into.

I can't wait for the next book!