on 13 March 2014
I have been waiting to find an LED bulb to replace the standard 100w tungstens in the house.

This bulb gives an equal light to a tungsten or even outshines them for brightness.

The light is a different colour which I did not find a problem.

There is is however a fundamental difference between the bulbs and that is the direction of the light.

A tungsten bulb spreads light in 360 degrees which creates a bright ceiling with reflected diffused downlighting wheres this LED bulb gives solely downlighting with a dismal unlit ceiling.

Overall verdict is light output excellent but affect on ambience of room unacceptable.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 November 2013
The following review still holds, but in the year since it was written things have quickly moved on, particularly with cost reduction, now making this bulb seem rather expensive, see the additional note at the end, so I have now knocked off one star.

Based on their present cost, £15.99 including delivery (at time of writing, November 2013), and the specifications given,this is the best value B22 (bayonet cap)LED I have found. I have also bought several "used" bulbs for a bit less, which seem just as good.

I am now using these wherever I can and already have seven, with another two on order.

They are not as bright as a 100W filament bulb, but are more like a 75W bulb, but even so they give a good light.

With electricity at 13p per kWhr, given a 25,000hrs life, 1163 lumens output and 11W power consumption, this works out to about £1.8 per million lumen hours, which is the best I have found. This is nearly 5 times better value than the equivalent 75W incandescent bulb, taking about 8 months, at 8hrs per day, to recover the cost of this bulb.

Even with such a low energy bulb, over it claimed life, the cost of the electricity it uses is still more than double the cost of the bulb. In comparison for the equivalent 75W filament bulb, the electricity cost is more than 40 times the cost of the bulb. Hence the cost of this LED bulb is not that important, compared to the cost of the electricity it saves.

The next best value LED appears to be the Long Life Lamp Company B22 10 Watt LED Bulb, at just under £2 per million lumen hours, but they only have an output of 830 lumens (60W filament bulb equivalent) and seem to be unreliable in achieving their claimed 35,000hrs life. They are also quite large in comparison.

This all depends on the reliability of the specifications and whether the light output and power use remain as claimed, and whether the claimed life is achieved.

If you don't want a dimmable bulb, then these are much better value than the old filament bulbs, and a significant improvement on the CFL bulbs, while also producing a very good light, but they are larger than a normal filament bulb.

Additional note, as of November 2014

Since I wrote the previous review, a year previous, LED bulbs have continued to improve, reduce in size, and become much better value. When checked with a light meter and energy meter, the "MiniSun High Power 12w LED BC B22 SMD GLS Bulb - 1000 Lumens - Warm White" would now appear to be much brighter from a smaller bulb, for similar energy consumption, but at a much more competitive price.

Also the "10 Watt LED Light Bulb GLS 800 Lumens B22 Bayonet Cap Beautiful Warm White Colour New Technology", from the Long Life Lamp Company, give the same brightness, along the axis, 182 Lux at 1metre, from 10W, but costs just £6.39, including delivery.

These LT Lighting bulbs continue to work just as well, but at £15 (now reduces to £13) they seem over priced compared to others now available.

My facilities only allow measurement of brightness, in Lux, along the bulb axis. This depends on the inverse squared distance of the light meter from the bulb. It also depends on the beam angle of the bulb. The smaller the beam angle the brighter the light, for a given total light output in Lumens. The effect of distance effect can be resolved by giving the brightness in Candela = Lux x Distance^2.
on 10 March 2013
This bulb takes a fraction of a second to come on after flicking the switch, but then it's immediately a very bright light (no waiting for it to warm up light the compact fluorescent lights that I've previously used). It's clearly much brighter than 8W and 10W LED bulbs that I've recently fitted.

The colour quality is good - I reckon it's the second best out of five different models that I've tested.

Two things to bear in mind. Like other LED lamps, if you put it in a normal ceiling fitting, you'll find that most of the light goes downwards or sideways; much less goes upwards to the ceiling compared to a CFL or tungsten bulb. Secondly, this is quite a large bulb physically, so it might not fit in the smallest of lamp shades (but it's unlikely that these were designed for 100W tungsten bulbs either).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 July 2013
This 11W LED Bulb, so far the best I have bought. I haven't seen such a bright light output in any other similar Wattage LED Bulbs I have bought in the past. The design of the bulb makes it look good in any light fittings. I have installed mine in the Living Room and it lights up like our previous 100W conventional bulb. I have used this bulb for few months now and it lights up same as day 1. Overall, I am very satisfied with this light bulb and saving a lot of power compared to conventional bulb, without compromising on intensity of light. This bulb will reduce my carbon footprint and help the environment. I am grateful to the seller for such a good product.
on 3 May 2013
We bought our first one of these lights a couple of weeks ago and have tried in a two different places where the light is switched on and off a lot - something not recommended for the cheaper 'green' lamps (CFL). There is a fraction of a second delay between throwing the switch and the light coming out - but it is so small many people will not notice it and unlike CFL's, it is the full light level event quicker then tungsten lamps. Although this lamp is sold as a 60W replacement, I would say that it is a bit brighter than the 60W lamps we used use.

Since its light output is biased to 180 degree unlike the traditional tungsten lamp of old which was practically 360, it worked particularly well in the stair well where the light needs to go down and out to the sides to light the landing clearly. A pleasant surprisingly warm light colour, better than many I have seen in the past.

Although the notes that come with the lamp say not to put it in an enclosed light fitting such as those typically found in the bathroom, I have do so anyway - it fitted okay. The reason for the warning is that all of the LEDs have cooling vanes for the electronics which can get warm/hot when the lamp has been on for any length of time. In our case, we know that the lamp in the bathroom will not be on for very long due to the way we are. Being the bathroom, the light does get switched on and off a lot and so the LED suits the function quite well.
I would have thought that it would pay the manufacturers to produce LED bathroom fitting because they would suit the function really well - fit and forget. (Well... until the Mrs's decides on a change!)
on 31 December 2013
When we upgraded our kitchen we had warm-white LED ceiling and under-units fitted. The effect is wonderful and makes working and eating in the environment very enjoyable. An industrial lighting specialist informed me that the spectrum of light produced is similar to that from "summer sunlight" which explains why it is so pleasing to the eye. We bought a new lighting assembly based on crystals drops for our dining room and I installed the 11 watt LED light bulb in it. It works a treat, lighting the room perfectly and the crystals sparkle. All this and the unit only uses a measly 10 watts!
on 27 October 2013
Anyone who uses or used a domestic 100W light over 1000 hours per annum should consider the warm white option. Energy saving gives a one year payback - and it is a good light. The payback is much longer if minature fluorescents are being scraped but the light rendition is much better.
on 15 June 2013
I chose to upgrade to this from a low energy fluorescent bulb installed in a ceiling fitting above a table. The table is used for a variety of tasks including homework and crafts, so a good light level is needed. The fluorescent bulb was not up to the job - it took ages to warm up and even then was not bright enough. I was unable to buy the old fashioned 100w bulbs and in any case prefer to save energy where possible.

I have used several cheaper LED bayonet bulbs elsewhere and have been disappointed with brightness and colour, so I looked very carefully before deciding on this one. As with all LEDs, there is no warm up time. The bulb starts within half a second and is immediately at full brightness. The light quality is pure and the colour is a perfect balance so as to appear like natural light. The beam spread is good and the whole table is very well illuminated, without any glare, with the pendant being suspended about 1.2m above the table surface. I have had this for a couple of months now and there is no deterioration in light quality, such as you may get with halogens.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone as the main central light for any room where daylight - equivalent illumination is needed.
on 27 November 2014
I have had this item for just under 3 months now. Compared to halogen and fluorescent energy saving bulbs, I like it a lot. It is actually in my opinion a better light than an incandescent 100w bulb. It is a bit more like a natural light. These things do not have any warm up time like a fluorescent and last a lot longer than either halogen or fluorescent. I have always hated the fluorescent type lights due to the warm up time and IMO a poor quality light. This is a bit more directional than a regular bulb as some others have pointed out, but a translucent light shade sorts that for me.
After buying this, I have gradually replaced all the bulbs in the house with LEDs. This has meant that I could turn on every light in the house and be using less energy than one 100w incandescent bulb.
This one has a 5 year warranty which is more than any others I have seen. The price is a little higher than some others but seems fair enough and It was delivered in 24 hours.

Light bulbs are not an exciting product to review, but the world wide implications of this technology are actually quite amazing in terms of the larger impact. For people in remote places without mains power like large parts of Africa, this technology is a life changing thing. They can buy solar power rechargeable versions and have a decent lamp that cost them around 15 USD instead of paying 80 USD per annum for a poor kerosene light that they can only use a couple of hours a night. For those of us with reliable mains power the reduction in overall energy consumption by widespread adoption means fewer power plants needing to be built and that can only be a good thing. This is I think why the two scientists who pioneered the underlying tech got their Nobel prize this year.
on 6 November 2013
One of the brightest and most energy efficient bulbs ever. Worth stocking up on. Instant full luminosity. A little cooler colour than expected but it is more than acceptable and doesn't give that yellow colour that some cheaper bulbs give out. Potentially decades of use make this a bright spark investment.