Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.35

on 8 May 2013
These are an absolutely great series of books. Knifepoint is the best. Very hard to see how to improve on this story. I read this book over a period of two days. I wanted to read it all at once but life got in the way. What with sleep, work and family, I grabbed the chance to read it bit by bit. This I think gave me time to digest the story and imagine where I would take it next, had I written it. Needless to say I wouldn't have made it half as good as it is. The story just grabbed me and I was totally involved with the characters. The plot never came up short; it always delivered a tense and exciting read. The fights were brought to life for me and the title was very justified. Looking forward to the next book in the series. (Soon I hope?)
on 19 January 2014
***Spoiler alert***

As post-apocalyptic survivor/gang stories goes, this is breath of fresh air. The feral Raina is brilliantly evolved in this story and her brutal determination to wreak vengeance is gripping. Walt returns in this story as a recluse in the jungle brought back to kill left over aliens. For me it was a masterpiece of writing when I got to the part of the book where the two "goody" characters, running in parallel storylines were converging to a single point....on opposing sides. Superb.

I read book 1 but skipped book 2 as I feared the "other perspective" of the same event would fail to deliver as I knew what happened to the alien invasion - lack of suspense suspected. However, I enjoyed the writing of knifepoint so much I will give book2 a go.

I would also like to mention that the number of typos and glaring grammar errors were incredibly few - which for Kindle Sci fi books is a rare thing indeed!

I can't stop picturing Walt being played by James Spader in a future movie. Sorry if that thought is disturbing to you.
on 24 August 2013
Book 3 of the Breakers series is yet again a bloody good read! The story of survival of a young girl and her revenge on the people who killed her adoptive parents in a post apocalyptic world. Her courage and strength of will sees her fighting to survive. I found it gripping and I read it in a day! Highly recommend all four of these books.
on 30 April 2015
As promised, I have continued my journey through the 'Breakers' universe with the third instalment, ‘Knifepoint’. I picked up this book with an unreasonable amount of butterflies in my stomach – I wanted to love it as much as I loved the second, and much more than the first, which I did not entirely enjoy. The result being that I was slightly disappointed by this book, it could not quite reach the incredible standard that ‘Meltdown’ had established. I did, however, find it to rest somewhere comfortably in between the first two books.

I find I have less to say about this book than the others, positive or negative, and I think this is due to a lack of substance in the plot and some of the characters. This time around the story centres on the very first survivor we were introduced to in the series, Walt (which was my favourite thing about this book, and I was utterly thrilled about) and an entirely new character, Raina, who has suffered hugely at the hands of the virus. Their two stories do eventually intertwine, in a way, but the tension leading up to the events was overplayed and the conclusion wasn’t as exciting as it could have been. I also did feel like the book did not show us the big picture; the focus is almost completely on the threat of a war between two small factions of people – the overall feel was quite claustrophobic and I would have appreciated some context of the world outside of the story.

Strangely enough, the aliens take a backseat in this book and the villains take a distinctly more human form. Again, the author adeptly illustrates that humans are their own worst enemy, and human nature can be just as alien as those which nearly destroyed them. I certainly cannot fault the exploration of human behaviour, and the descriptions of a world timidly returning to civilisation; the author captured this brilliantly. It was also nice to be in the increasingly familiar ‘Breakers’ world again, and I loved the clever references which peeked at me from the pages, creating that comfortable feeling of being special and included.

The return of Walt was nothing short of brilliant, he has been my favourite character by a long shot from the very beginning. Every second reading his dialogue stirred nostalgic emotions within me, similar to catching up with an old friend – except instead of meeting at Starbucks, you are thrown into a post-apocalyptic world with aliens who may or may not be interested in wiping out the rest of the human race. Oh well, at least the anecdotes are more interesting.

The problem I found is that whilst I was completely immersed in Walt’s storyline, the dialogue running parallel could not compete and I constantly found my interest waning. Whilst it was interesting to have a completely new character with a unique set of circumstances, it didn’t seem as credible as the rest of the plot. I tried really hard to make a connection with Raina, but the truth is I just didn’t get her. I felt as a character she was bizarre and whilst this is not a criticism in itself, her personality lacked a depth which I felt with all the others. Since the ‘Breakers’ series depends largely on its characters and their development, it is hugely important that their portrayal is both strong and plausible and I found Raina lacked both these things. It is strange because whatever criticisms I have made with the first two books, this is the first time I have encountered this particular weakness and so it was completely unexpected.

No matter my feelings on the previous books, it is certain I will continue with the series. As the saying goes, I am in too deep now and there is no going back. Wish me luck with ‘Reapers’.
on 10 June 2014
The best book yet, I found this hard to put it down, in fact I am writing this at 0138 hours, having just finished. Yet again, Edward, the author, manages to write several threads throughout the book, which slowly come together at the end. The pace is good and the characters are well described, albeit we lose a few along the way. For a story of an alien invasion, there is very little alien and more human interaction, building an idea of how people would behave, after an apocalypse. Looking forward to the next book.
on 30 December 2014
I am so awed by the writing from this author. In this third installment of a post-apocalyptic vision in the USA, we meet some more characters picking their way through what is left to them in the societies where they live. Best to begin at the beginning of the series, but I would say that knowing how this series is developing!
on 22 October 2013
3rd in the series and still keeps me wanting to get back to it as soon as I put it down. Interesting characters, twists to the plot and development of the story keeps it fresh. If you like sci go post apocalyptic tales you can`t go wrong.
on 21 July 2015
these books are a brilliant read.every story in the series is so gripping.you actually care about what happens to the characters. Ive already downloaded the 4th one "reapers".this is what kindles were invented for.
on 17 July 2014
another good book from Edward Robertson. This one's just as good a read as the first two, but maybe a little less clean cut, with more sexual references and the violence a little bit more callous and gory.
on 27 September 2013
Again, same events, different eyeballs. Some stories crossing over. I'm not sure how long this will satisfy, or whether it's leading to some great reveal. So far, it works.